SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bought 3.76 gear ratio differential.. In over my head again

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 06:12 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bought 3.76 gear ratio differential.. In over my head again

Well I broke down and bought the 3.76 gear ratio differential on eBay. I feel like I'm probably in over my head, so I will be counting on all of you for support; technical support and well as moral support!!
Old 04-01-15, 06:39 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you made a good upgrade. guys the 6 speed trans use a 3.76 rear gear setup. cheap upgrade. not a Supra rear but a 3.76 setup

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-01-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 10:29 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

lex
if your going to do it yourself you need jack stands, floor jack and someone to help you.. greg can tell you what to do. he just did it. you will be doing just a bolt in.
Old 04-01-15, 01:24 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
lex
if your going to do it yourself you need jack stands, floor jack and someone to help you.. greg can tell you what to do. he just did it. you will be doing just a bolt in.
Hey Gene,

I'm probably going to do it with my brother on his lift.
I'll follow Greg's write up and advise.

Curious about what bushings and parts I may need to replace?
I'll wait to see what Greg says.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-01-15, 01:26 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

OH CRAP

You know I have a 2002 correct (5 speed)? This differential should still be compatible?
Old 04-01-15, 02:04 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

yes should bolt right in. the bushing that come with the rear will work fine also.
Old 04-01-15, 09:35 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brett -

You'll love this when you get done. Given that you don't track your car and you want to keep comfort I suggest you keep the OEM bushings. With a couple of tricks you should be able to get it done quickly. You will want to use a transmission lift instead of floor jack to handle the differential. You will also need to get a T60 drive for the rear bushing screws but for the one on the passenger side you need to grind the bit down so you can fit a wrench in the space and not have to remove the chassis support. Take a look and get all the tools ready before you start the job.
Old 04-01-15, 10:03 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Brett - Make sure you check the flange size - see the picture I posted. Also you will want to check out the differential you bought. Did the seller show a picture with it open? How many miles? The fast check is to remove the drain plug and drain the old fluid. (You have to remove the fill plug too). The drain plug has a magnet - look for metal filings or larger pieces. The more complete exam means you remove the cover and inspect the gears and their teeth. Use a light to look inside the case for any metal. Clean both gasket surfaces and use the black FIPG from Lexus/Toyota. If you go that route I have a nearly new tube you can use. Let the FIPG dry at leat an hour or two before you put fluid in. I used Amsoil Diff Fluid for severe gear protection. No additive is necessay. Check the specs of the year the diff came put of for the amount of fluid.
Old 04-02-15, 05:45 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Brett - Make sure you check the flange size - see the picture I posted. Also you will want to check out the differential you bought. Did the seller show a picture with it open? How many miles? The fast check is to remove the drain plug and drain the old fluid. (You have to remove the fill plug too). The drain plug has a magnet - look for metal filings or larger pieces. The more complete exam means you remove the cover and inspect the gears and their teeth. Use a light to look inside the case for any metal. Clean both gasket surfaces and use the black FIPG from Lexus/Toyota. If you go that route I have a nearly new tube you can use. Let the FIPG dry at leat an hour or two before you put fluid in. I used Amsoil Diff Fluid for severe gear protection. No additive is necessay. Check the specs of the year the diff came put of for the amount of fluid.
Hey Buddy,
The seller did not show pics of the differential open, but there are several pics and it looks really, really clean. Comes from a 2007 with 21k m
Old 04-02-15, 05:50 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

...from a car with 21k miles. Like you suggested I will open it up and check the teeth and condition of oil. I think it is 75w-90. I'm not sure what a flange is but I will study your post.

I have not decided on my route for install but definitely not by myself. I may either go to my brothers house in Columbia, Maryland, or have my guy at merchants do it. Maybe we can meet up? But I know Columbia is far for you.

Do you have any suggestions about bushings or other parts? My goal is to maintain smoothness in my ride as opposed to your car that is optimized for the track :-)
Old 04-02-15, 11:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
...from a car with 21k miles. Like you suggested I will open it up and check the teeth and condition of oil. I think it is 75w-90. I'm not sure what a flange is but I will study your post.

I have not decided on my route for install but definitely not by myself. I may either go to my brothers house in Columbia, Maryland, or have my guy at merchants do it. Maybe we can meet up? But I know Columbia is far for you.

Do you have any suggestions about bushings or other parts? My goal is to maintain smoothness in my ride as opposed to your car that is optimized for the track :-)
I would say no need to open it up - check the fluid that comes out and the magnet in the drain plug. Then fill with new fluid. The flange is the three tongue piece that is on the narrow end of the differential. Just double check that it is the correct size.
Old 04-04-15, 08:23 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck Brett!! May the force be with you with Jedi Greg's guidance!
Old 04-04-15, 08:49 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

brett
your in good hands with greg