SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear plastic rattle over bumpy surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 10:21 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Rear plastic rattle over bumpy surfaces

Well a picture says a thousand words so that plastic cover?/roof tonneau?/whatever is rattling when the top is up. Its a bit annoying when everything else in the cabin is tomb quiet so im going to try to remedy it tomorrow with some adhesive silicone. The same stuff that prevented leaks into my trunk will now be used to stop rattles (i hope).

If anyone else has dealt with such a thing let me know.

Old 04-03-15, 04:47 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Below that piece (known as the package tray) there is a little black "bump." You can twist that up )or down in my case due to my bass system causing vibration) a few turns which will allow the package tray to rest against it (or away from it) and keep it from rattling. Give it a try, might fix your problem. It's been a big issue on many owner's list and a pretty easy fix.
Old 04-03-15, 08:20 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
Well a picture says a thousand words so that plastic cover?/roof tonneau?/whatever is rattling when the top is up. Its a bit annoying when everything else in the cabin is tomb quiet so im going to try to remedy it tomorrow with some adhesive silicone. The same stuff that prevented leaks into my trunk will now be used to stop rattles (i hope).

Wow. Just stumbled on this post while looking for something else. But what great luck for me.
I have had that noise bothering me for quite a while, although mine is more like a knocking than a rattle.
In fact, just yesterday, I had my son drive while I laid down in the back seat attempting to see where the knocking was coming from. Maybe I should not have done that right after Taco Bell because I ended up getting car sick laying down and looking up as he made turns. I had to give up the idea pretty quickly.
Anyway, I am going to try to secure the plastic cover to see if that is where my knocking is coming from.
I sure think so because it seems to be just behind the top of the back seat.
Bob
Old 04-03-15, 08:22 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Default Source of noise in back when going over bumps

Wow. Just stumbled on this post while looking for something else. But what great luck for me.
I have had that noise bothering me for quite a while, although mine is more like a knocking than a rattle.
In fact, just yesterday, I had my son drive while I laid down in the back seat attempting to see where the knocking was coming from. Maybe I should not have done that right after Taco Bell because I ended up getting car sick laying down and looking up as he made turns. I had to give up the idea pretty quickly.
Anyway, I am going to try to secure the plastic cover to see if that is where my knocking is coming from.
I sure think so because it seems to be just behind the top of the back seat.
Bob

Last edited by Rentzer; 04-03-15 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removed surplus portions of quoted message I am responding to
Old 04-03-15, 11:07 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Below that piece (known as the package tray) there is a little black "bump." You can twist that up )or down in my case due to my bass system causing vibration) a few turns which will allow the package tray to rest against it (or away from it) and keep it from rattling. Give it a try, might fix your problem. It's been a big issue on many owner's list and a pretty easy fix.
Thanks for the tip there Shawn!

That seems to have minimized a bit of the rattle but I believe the main culprit is the little side package tray pieces that arent very secure. I tried to add some silicone on the side and it seems to have dulled the noise. It still rattles over very rough roads but it is better than before.
Old 04-04-15, 07:42 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Don't know how to thank you all enough.
I have lived with the knocking for far too long.
Wish I saw ShawnOk post years ago and Badhobz photos sure helped too.
Found the round black rubber "hump" and turning it to the left raised it.
Immediately took a drive over to the rough road where I heard the knocking noise at its worst.
On the way there I didn't hear the knocking but thought that was too good to be true.
Drove the rough road and held my breath. Then breathed the proverbial "sigh of relief."
THE KNOCKING NOISE IS GONE !!!
Can't thank you enough.
Bob
Too good to be true,