SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My experience with Techstream software

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 12:00 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Late to the game! Just discovered Techstream!

Hi All;

I just learned about Techstream from SilverBullet. Reading through the threads briefly, it looks like the following product would be compataible with my windows 7, 64 bit computer:

Amazon.com : Mini VCI 16 PIN OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Cable V9.30.002 : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Mini VCI 16 PIN OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Cable V9.30.002 : Car Electronics

If you have a moment, please feel free to make suggestions to catch me up! I'm mainly interested in testing if I have a bad ecu, but it seems like this software has lots of interesting applications..
Old 09-22-15, 12:49 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hi All;

I just learned about Techstream from SilverBullet. Reading through the threads briefly, it looks like the following product would be compataible with my windows 7, 64 bit computer:

Amazon.com : Mini VCI 16 PIN OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Cable V9.30.002 : Car Electronics

If you have a moment, please feel free to make suggestions to catch me up! I'm mainly interested in testing if I have a bad ecu, but it seems like this software has lots of interesting applications..
Make sure you will receive the version 2 firmware for the cable. The ones sold on Amazon for the most part are version 1 and will not work on some of our cars. There is a link to a vendor in the first post that will guarantee the right firmware. Don't confuse this with the software versions.
Old 09-22-15, 01:10 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is this the right one?

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Make sure you will receive the version 2 firmware for the cable. The ones sold on Amazon for the most part are version 1 and will not work on some of our cars. There is a link to a vendor in the first post that will guarantee the right firmware. Don't confuse this with the software versions.
Is the item from you first post in this thread the correct item to purchase? Here it is:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...=9263&cv=15091

Specs:

Single cable for MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA is cost-effective, the price of product is only one-third of similar foreign products.
Single Cable for MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream V10.00.028
Latest VersionV10.00.028
Support Computer System: Windows XP
V8.30.021 MINI VCI Software Free Download
This package do not contain for Toyota 22pin connector, so it can only do for Toyota 16pin cars

Last edited by LexBrett; 09-22-15 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 01:17 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Is the item from you first post in this thread the correct item to purchase? Here it is:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...=9263&cv=15091
Yes, understand that I am not saying that this vendor is the only one to buy from. I got a unit from Amazon and it was firmware version 1 and did not work on my car. I purchased from aliexpress because they specify the firmware version. If you can get a response from the Amazon vendor as to what firmware version they sell, you should be fine. MAKE SURE!! it is version 2 on the firmware. You want version
Old 09-22-15, 01:29 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Latest version

Yes, understand that I am not saying that this vendor is the only one to buy from. I got a unit from Amazon and it was firmware version 1 and did not work on my car. I purchased from aliexpress because they specify the firmware version. If you can get a response from the Amazon vendor as to what firmware version they sell, you should be fine. MAKE SURE!! it is version 2 on the firmware. You want version
It looks like the latest software according to the description in the link you provided is:

Latest Version V10.00.028

No?
Old 09-22-15, 01:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

It looks like the latest software according to the description in the link you provided is:

Latest Version V10.00.028

No?
You are confusing the software version with the firmware version for the cable. The latest software is the 10.00.028. It will still not work if you do not have the correct firmware for the cable. Firmware is built into the device. In this case the cable.
Old 09-22-15, 01:51 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

You are confusing the software version with the firmware version for the cable. The latest software is the 10.00.028. It will still not work if you do not have the correct firmware for the cable. Firmware is built into the device. In this case the cable.
Oh, I understand now;
Firmware: v9.30.002
Software: 10.00.29

Thanks!
Old 09-22-15, 02:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Lex,
Cable Firmware v2.0.4, installed on the chip in the cable connector.

Techstream Software v10.00.28, installed on your computer where you make selections for your car.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-22-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 03:22 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Oh, I understand now;
Firmware: v9.30.002
Software: 10.00.29

Thanks!
What BGW said.
Old 09-22-15, 03:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

What BGW said.
Actually you said it first! ;-)
Old 09-22-15, 07:40 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 104 Posts

After the CT SC430 meet where DiggerJim used his VCI cable and notebook to check my TPMS system and determine the White sensor was out, I finally received the newer version VCI cable. It took almost 3 weeks to get here from China. While it isn't marked as F/W Ver 2.0.4, it probably has it. The older VCI cable didn't work well with my car ( and perhaps my XP laptop ).

The new VCI cable works great on a new laptop running Win8.

I was able to re-verify that the White TPMS sensor had failed. I tried the battery replacement routine ( CR2477N battery ) but after the sensor was re-installed into the wheel, it still wouldn't respond. I ordered a new White sensor through Amazon and installed that. I was able to successfully add that sensor to the TPMS system. It is an interesting procedure where you must decrease the tire pressure in each wheel by at least 6 PSI, so make sure all tires and close to each other and well over 30 PSI before you start. During the process you will find out what color sensor is in each wheel. That will make things easier in the future if / when another sensor fails.
Old 09-24-15, 07:08 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

After reading some of diggerJim's posts about using the Techstream software to enter new TPMS sensors into the system, I decided to buy a cable and see what I could do. I bought a cable off Amazon and even though the cable comes with software and drivers I downloaded the newer software and drivers from the internet. I have Windows 7 32bit on an old laptop and thought I would use it as my test platform. You can use it on 64 bit systems, but you have to load the drivers manually. Both drivers and software loaded and the cable was seen by Windows. Hooked it up to the car and it seemed like it was working. However, when it got to the point that you wanted to actually do anything Windows said the cable was not communicating with the software. I tried everything I knew how to do to make it work and could not. I then found a thread on an NSX site that talked about the firmware version of the cable. Apparently the older firmware is not always compatible with some cars. It may work, but may not. They point to a site in China that advertises and confirms they have cables with the latest firmware. So, I returned the one to Amazon and ordered one from China. It took about a week to get here and I just tried it and it works great. It enters the VIN and I have complete communication with the car. The new cable comes with the newest software and drivers also. The link to the site is included here.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...67355437975853
I'm going to buy techstream from the vendor in the link. Can you all please confirm that this is the appropriate firmware and software for my 2002? I'm not sure how to interpret the specs..
Thanks!

By the way, does techstream allow changing shift points? I have always found the shift points too high for my tastes...
Old 09-24-15, 08:12 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I'm going to buy techstream from the vendor in the link. Can you all please confirm that this is the appropriate firmware and software for my 2002? I'm not sure how to interpret the specs..
Thanks!

By the way, does techstream allow changing shift points? I have always found the shift points too high for my tastes...
If you click on the the link and then click on "View Current Product", It states that this is firmware version
2.0.4. Other vendors have this firmware also. However, if they do not specify the firmware version, I would be suspect of the product supplied. The old firmware version 1 did not work on my car and this worked perfectly. Also, if you have a 32 bit computer the software and drivers load right form the disc supplied. If you have a 64 bit computer you will have to load the drivers (not the software) manually. I am using mine on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine and it loaded automatically from the disc. I did experiment on a 64 bit machine and loaded the drivers manually and was successful in using the software.

I do not think Techstream allows for the adjustment of shift points.
Old 09-24-15, 08:27 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

If you click on the the link and then click on "View Current Product", It states that this is firmware version
2.0.4. Other vendors have this firmware also. However, if they do not specify the firmware version, I would be suspect of the product supplied. The old firmware version 1 did not work on my car and this worked perfectly. Also, if you have a 32 bit computer the software and drivers load right form the disc supplied. If you have a 64 bit computer you will have to load the drivers (not the software) manually. I am using mine on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine and it loaded automatically from the disc. I did experiment on a 64 bit machine and loaded the drivers manually and was successful in using the software.

I do not think Techstream allows for the adjustment of shift points.
So is the product in the link correct or not?
Old 09-24-15, 09:40 AM
iolmaster
Racer

So is the product in the link correct or not?
YES it is!

Quick Reply: My experience with Techstream software