Coilovers for SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 04:15 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Interested in your driving report if you would
will do, I replaced all of the bushings with Daizen poly along with SPC UCAs, the allow caster and camber adjustments.
Old 11-11-16, 01:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I was going to install them myself but just didn't feel up to it today, so I decided to let my mechanic handle the job...not sure how much, but he is always really easy on me!

Old 11-11-16, 03:07 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow that was all quick. Are you keeping stock ride height? If your guy will pull off a spring from your old shock especially from a front that would be great . Then you can so how little resistance they had left. I was shocked at how bad mine were on the bmw after only 48,000 miles. I know fifty sixty thousand miles and dampers have used most of the good in them, but always surprised when I take them off.

Last edited by Coleroad; 11-11-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 08:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The new coilovers are installed and car really feels good. Firmer than stock, the dampeners have 36 settings, they were set to 34 which was very firm. I then, turned them to the softest setting, position one. They felt very nice but still a little firmer than the old shocks...I am sure it is because the old ones were worn out.

anyway, I am really happy and satisfied with this $900 purchase, my mechanic only charged me $150 labor. He really takes it easy on me because I know they worked on it longer than two hours.

the car is only a half inch lower, but I can certainly lower it more if I want....

Old 11-12-16, 10:19 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Bgw, your guy hooked you up for a good deal. Did that include alignment too?
Old 11-12-16, 10:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Bgw, your guy hooked you up for a good deal. Did that include alignment too?
unfortunately it did not but he will only charge me about $60 when he does it Monday. I told him about the rear toe setting and he said he would set it to .08 per your recommendation.
his alignment machine is down today but the repairman will be at his shop on Monday.
Old 11-12-16, 08:16 PM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

nice color on on the D2's. interested in your wheel setup specs. are u running a staggered setup?
i have megans EZ II recently intsalled and the ride is stiffer than the OEM stock shocks. but with the dampening adjustments and after the coilovers will settle in, you will get that luxury ride back, if not better than the OEM.
i would say that the upgrade is like night and day.
just give it some time to settle in.

Last edited by iamsam9; 11-12-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 12:57 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The wheels are an OEM setup. Offset is OEM.

I am more of a stock setup person but like slight modifications that make the car better.
i drove the car again today and I am really liking the feel, response and handling...everything is tighter. The dampeners are now set to 5 of 36, which would be soft. They do feel more stiff but it could have been worn out shocks.
Old 11-13-16, 10:29 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
The wheels are an OEM setup. Offset is OEM.

I am more of a stock setup person but like slight modifications that make the car better.
i drove the car again today and I am really liking the feel, response and handling...everything is tighter. The dampeners are now set to 5 of 36, which would be soft. They do feel more stiff but it could have been worn out shocks.
the stock shocks on my 08 seem to have too much high speed compression dampening and blow through the spring travel too quickly. Spring needs to be a progressive wind or the valving needs to be more progressive in its internal stack.

how does you coil overs seem in these areas?

said another way my car reacts harshly on square edges and bottoms on driveways and rolling bumps.

jerrick at meister mentioned that the OEM shock rate is ok but the spring is too long. Same rate shorter spring feels stiffer.

hopefully you can help.
Old 11-14-16, 11:04 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
the stock shocks on my 08 seem to have too much high speed compression dampening and blow through the spring travel too quickly. Spring needs to be a progressive wind or the valving needs to be more progressive in its internal stack.

how does you coil overs seem in these areas?

said another way my car reacts harshly on square edges and bottoms on driveways and rolling bumps.

jerrick at meister mentioned that the OEM shock rate is ok but the spring is too long. Same rate shorter spring feels stiffer.

hopefully you can help.
i am not sure I understand the question but will try.
the car feels tighter and I feel the bumps on the road more. There is a section of US-1 that is really bumpy, not potholes but more of the overall road that sank a little and it makes that 1/4 mile section very bumpy. Anyway, I can feel the bumps more with the new shocks. The old shocks caused the car to kind of move or float around when I would go through that area. Now it feels like you could go much faster and solidly maintain control.
Old 11-14-16, 12:13 PM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can fully attest to that. My oem shocks were so worn that the car would float going down the road. I had oem shocks with shorter springs and was a little tight in turns but after awhile, the oem shocks eventually would give out from wear and tear. As the car floated more (not as tight before), it became an issue. Therefore, like others that have proceeded me, I went with a coilover setup.
U gain and lose some from oem steup, but there a few more adjustments u can play with so that u can still at least get back the oem softer ride.

It a matter of personal taste and we're already accustomed to when buying a lux car.
I was never going to give up my oem setup and it felt good.
But like anything else, age and longevity becomes a factor later on.

Last edited by iamsam9; 11-14-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 03:17 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Coilovers upgrade is nevertheless the most worthy update for the SC. I have Tein CS coilovers on my SC and its amazing. The Tein CS provide same comfort as OEM while its more stable on high speed & turns. In addition, it give it a nice look with he 2.5" drop.
Old 11-18-16, 01:50 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I just took her on the first high speed interstate drive since installing the D2 coilovers and new alignment and I must say, WOW, What a difference in handling. The car was so solid up to the century mark! Before I had some sway and wonder, but not anymore. In addition, coleroad suggested I have the rear toe set to .08. The mechanic set it to .07 and I am sure this had something to do with the handling. This is by far the best the car has felt in the 1.5 yrs of my ownership.
i love it!

BTW, I purchased the D2s from JM Auto Racing. He is a sponsor here on CL. Very knowledgeable and professional!!! He asked me several questions about how the car is used and what kind of ride I would like before he made a suggestion. They also have extremely fast shipping! The order actually shipped the same day of my order! Five Stars JM.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-18-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 02:00 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Bgw, I'm glad it is driving as you had envisioned it should. I was shocked how fast those coil overs got to you. It's always nice when expectations are exceeded.
Old 11-19-16, 06:02 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I just took her on the first high speed interstate drive since installing the D2 coilovers and new alignment and I must say, WOW, What a difference in handling. The car was so solid up to the century mark! Before I had some sway and wonder, but not anymore. In addition, coleroad suggested I have the rear toe set to .08. The mechanic set it to .07 and I am sure this had something to do with the handling. This is by far the best the car has felt in the 1.5 yrs of my ownership.
i love it!

BTW, I purchased the D2s from JM Auto Racing. He is a sponsor here on CL. Very knowledgeable and professional!!! He asked me several questions about how the car is used and what kind of ride I would like before he made a suggestion. They also have extremely fast shipping! The order actually shipped the same day of my order! Five Stars JM.

Thank you Bgw70. Glad to hear you love them.
1-855-998-8726

Quick Reply: Coilovers for SC 430