SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 04:57 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Mount

Can anyone confirm 19 ft/lbs as the torque on the tranny mount bolts? All I have to go by are the SC400 torque specs but not sure if it is the same for the 430. Going to be replacing the tranny mount myself and saving the 375.00 parts and labor quoted by the dealership.
Old 06-12-15, 08:23 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes that is correct according to the 2002 shop repair manual vol 2.
Old 06-13-15, 04:22 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Thanks so much Slvbullet!!

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Yes that is correct according to the 2002 shop repair manual vol 2.
Old 06-13-15, 05:10 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Helo, are you going to do the motor mounts or have they been changed?

The tranny mount is certainly the easiest of the three.

I started the job but let an Independent mechanic, that I trust, finish the job because one bolt on each motor mount was a pain.

Are you replacing with Lexus mount or aftermarket? I used Lexus.
Old 06-13-15, 05:26 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

According to the dealership and an indy shop, my motor mounts are fine. The dealership recommended the tranny mount be changed. However, upon hard acceleration from a stop, I feel a "bump" and I still suspect the motor mounts as well. I am going to go ahead and replace the tranny mount (OEM Lexus) and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it I will probably let the professionals handle the motor mounts.

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Helo, are you going to do the motor mounts or have they been changed?

The tranny mount is certainly the easiest of the three.

I started the job but let an Independent mechanic, that I trust, finish the job because one bolt on each motor mount was a pain.

Are you replacing with Lexus mount or aftermarket? I used Lexus.
Old 06-14-15, 08:05 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Default Cracked Mounts

My tranny mount as you can see was pretty far gone. I noticed there has been a revision to the new mounts as they now have metal "wings" on each side as well. (Sorry, didn't get a pic of the new one) As a side note, the last (and I do mean LAST) time I had it in the indy shop, they replaced one of the control arms. While I was under the car I happened to notice one of the bolts that attaches the control arm support to the chassis was halfway unscrewed!! I could have taken it out with my finger. Needless to say, those folks will never get my business again.

Old 06-14-15, 08:30 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Helogadget
My tranny mount as you can see was pretty far gone. I noticed there has been a revision to the new mounts as they now have metal "wings" on each side as well. (Sorry, didn't get a pic of the new one) As a side note, the last (and I do mean LAST) time I had it in the indy shop, they replaced one of the control arms. While I was under the car I happened to notice one of the bolts that attaches the control arm support to the chassis was halfway unscrewed!! I could have taken it out with my finger. Needless to say, those folks will never get my business again.

The dealer missed the loose bolt? That's pretty bad. Weird that both shops would have missed it.
Good thing you caught it.
Old 06-14-15, 08:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Nice job Helo, I just luv the pros at the Indy shops!

Actually, the guy who did my motor mounts did a nice job!

I have known this person for years. He and another guy started this business years ago and now they have several employees. When I went to the shop for the motor mounts installation I asked the guy specifically if he would install the mounts and do the four wheel alignment.

He said he totally understood and would be the only one that would work on the car.
Old 06-14-15, 08:52 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

I am a bit surprised as well that the dealership missed that. As soon as I went under the car I saw it. Like I said in another post, this indy shop used to be great (They only work on Hondas, Acuras, Lexus, and Toyota), but I don't know what has happened to them. Now I trust the dealership more than the indy.

I just drove it and it still has that "bump" under hard accel. Looks like the motor mounts are next. I does seem smoother though, I can tell the difference.

QUOTE=Bgw70;9075903]Nice job Helo, I just luv the pros at the Indy shops!

Actually, the guy who did my motor mounts did a nice job!

I have known this person for years. He and another guy started this business years ago and now they have several employees. When I went to the shop for the motor mounts installation I asked the guy specifically if he would install the mounts and do the four wheel alignment.

He said he totally understood and would be the only one that would work on the car.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-16-15, 06:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Are the mounts easy to replace?
Old 06-16-15, 07:14 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

The tranny mount was a breeze. I drove the car up on ramps and used a small trolley jack and a piece of wood to support the tranny. 4 bolts and then 4 smaller nuts and the bracket is off. 4 more bolts attach the mount to the tranny. Take those out, and reverse the process to install the new mount. 19 ft/lbs torque on the 4 big bracket bolts and 8 ft/lbs on the other 8 smaller bolts/nuts.

The hardest part was the ramps limiting my working space. If you have access to a lift or can jack it up onto jackstands it would even be easier. Whole job, start to finish, maybe 30 minutes. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Are the mounts easy to replace?
Old 06-16-15, 08:43 PM
mandyfig

Great thanks, how do you know if the mounts are shot?
Old 06-16-15, 08:45 PM
mandyfig

How much are the OEM Lexus-Toyota mounts?
Old 06-17-15, 05:20 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

In this case I found out they were shot by the dealership finding them cracked upon inspection. You can look at them visually and check. Some of the symptoms of worn tranny mounts are vibrations and sometimes you can get some roaring noise heard while driving.

I picked up this new OEM mount of Ebay for about 75.00 including shipping. The dealership quoted me 375.00 for parts and labor.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
How much are the OEM Lexus-Toyota mounts?
Old 06-17-15, 05:32 PM
mandyfig

Thanks I will check mine soon. With 118K miles am sure it may look worn out. I will alos be a little sensitive on the ride and see if I can feel anything lag or vibration.

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount