SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to run 12v wire from cabin to engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 04:59 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to run 12v wire from cabin to engine bay?

Installing front parking sensors and looking to route a 12v wire from cabin to engine bay. One option is to use the grommet under the car for O2 sensors, but I'd prefer to find a more direct way. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Old 06-15-15, 06:36 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

There is grommet under the steering wheel driver foot well that will lead to the driver side firewall under the hood. Use a unfolded hanger with electrical tape to blunt the sharp end and push through. Then attach your wire and pull the hanger back through. Good luck.
Old 06-15-15, 08:02 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Buddy. I assume once I pull up the carpet the location of the grommet will be obvious? I only recall the grommet for the O2 sensor. Also, do you have a suggestion for tapping into a power source in the engine bay (i.e., aside from battery)? The wires wil be running from inside the cabin on the drivers side to the front license plate. Is there a easy power source to tap? Thanks!
Old 06-15-15, 10:52 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

The gromet is actually higher up and to the left, closer to the kick panel fuse box. No need to remove carpet. I used an add-a-fuse and piggy backed off a fuse in the engine fuse box. I believe it was for fog light since I was adding my door handle turn signals but there are a few others that you can piggy back off.
Old 06-15-15, 11:32 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for clarification in terms of location of the grommet. How did you tap into the fuse box? Did you use an adapter? What fuse number did you use? I may need to tap into something in the engine bay due; if so do you have a suggestion in the engine bay??

It's hard to explain, but I plan to run this kit to the front license plate:

Amazon.com : XD-066 LED Display Car Reverse Backup Radar with 4 Parking Sensors : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics Amazon.com : XD-066 LED Display Car Reverse Backup Radar with 4 Parking Sensors : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics

The goal would be for the sensors to help me keep a safe distance between the car in front of my as well as parking. I plan to install an "interrupter" switch to turn off the sensors in the cabin just in case I find them to annoying.

By the way I also have the kit on my rear plate and I love it.

Comments/suggestions welcomed..

Thanks!!
Old 06-15-15, 02:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I used this... http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...ies/32416_0_0/. Not sure which fuse in the engine fuse box would be best for your use. You'd want something that was always powered, i think. You'll have to read the fuse descriptions and choose whats best for your application. I went with fog light, so I can turn my door handle LED"s on and off by using the fog switch. You will have to choose something different since you will use your sensors even in the daytime (ie. when fog lights are off). Adding a interrupt switch is a good idea, not only if they get annoying but so that way you can turn them on and off "on the fly" when you want to hear the tone rather than full time on and annoying like if you were in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 06-15-15, 03:42 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Not sure if the LHD is the same as RHD but I suspect the grommet will be there on all cars.

To run an O gauge power lead, I used the grommet behind the battery tray. It was very easy compared to other cars I've done this to..

There is a grommet behind the battery tray.

Battery removed from the tray

And as you can see it's easily big enough for 0 gauge cable. On the rhd car it's behind the glove box which takes 5 minutes to remove.

Close up. With the tray removed, the grommet is revealed.
Old 06-15-15, 05:02 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you running a welder up there or what?

Originally Posted by Neil E
Not sure if the LHD is the same as RHD but I suspect the grommet will be there on all cars.

To run an O gauge power lead, I used the grommet behind the battery tray. It was very easy compared to other cars I've done this to..

There is a grommet behind the battery tray.

Battery removed from the tray

And as you can see it's easily big enough for 0 gauge cable. On the rhd car it's behind the glove box which takes 5 minutes to remove.

Close up. With the tray removed, the grommet is revealed.
Old 06-15-15, 06:33 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you this is very helpful. I was hoping to just tap into the battery if possible so the grommet in that location is ideal. However it looks like your batter is on your driver side in the pic? Is that correct or am I misinterpreting the pic?
Old 06-15-15, 08:47 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Unfortunately, if you connect your sensors directly to the battery you risk the chance of draining your battery or even killing the battery if you forget and leave the sensors on. I specifically suggested running through the driver's side grommet with the thought that the fuse boxes are located on driver side and thus allow you to put your switch on this side rather than running wire across the cabin. I have also utilized the passenger grommet behind the battery tray for my 0 gauge wire for my bass system, as indicated above. I ran it directly from the battery with an inline fuse and into the passenger foot well and along the side to the trunk through the rear passenger grommet near the Mark Levinson amp. Just thought your best setup would be to run your power off the fuse box, so it will always turn off when the car is off. Just an additional safety feature, in my opinion.

I believe in the above photo, the vehicle is a Right Hand Driver and thus the battery is on the opposite side.
Old 06-16-15, 05:18 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Buddy, thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean about connecting to battery and would could drain. I will look for a fuse on the drivers side following the path of the grommet to the license plate.

In terms of the toggle interruptor switch, I don't quite understand how to do this connection. My parking sensir kit has the in cabin screen, with a single wire. I assume that single wire has a red and black inside the insulation. If that is the case there would be two ends on the toggle switch, positive/negative and positive/negative. Then I could just cut the line and make the connections in the 4 respective red and black pins. Does that make sense? I can't seem to find the correct switch on Amazon; have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-16-15, 05:46 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps I'm overthinking this; do I just need a 12v inline toggle switch??
Old 06-16-15, 12:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Lex, if you are going to use a switch, you only need to place it inline on either the positive or negatives sides.

A SPST (single pole single throw) switch should do the trick.

Now if you just wire the sensor positive lead to an ACC circuit, the system will turn on and off with the key and no switch would be needed.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-16-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-16-15, 12:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

I looked at the Amazon link you posted.

The cabin screen will have at least two wires and it plugs directly into what I will call the interface box. That interface box has the power plug, the cabin screen plug and the four plugs for the sensors.

would you like me to look in the wiring diagram to find a power location that switches on and off with key (ACC)?
Without looking, the cigar lighter and the console should have this type of power.
Old 06-16-15, 05:05 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Agreed, best to find a suitable acc switched feed like an audio power lead and use an appropriate in line fuse to the parking sensor unit. I would put a switch in between it too, just to have the ability to turn it off.

I removed the Lexus rear parking sensors and will add a CCD camera instead, I have the camera and the cables in place but haven't decided where to mount the lens.

Helogadget
A welder? that's just silly.... I needed a heavy duty cable for the flux capacitor..

Quick Reply: How to run 12v wire from cabin to engine bay?