SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recourse for Dishonest Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15 | 06:31 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Recourse for Dishonest Mechanic?

Recently was in accident and my engine threw a rod. My insurance is covering replacing the engine. The repair shop now wants to charge me $1800 for repairs that I did NOT authorize.. All they were supposed to do was put in the engine. What are my options with this dishonest mechanic? Obviously I'm going to get in touch with the adjuster, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. It's very upsetting..
Old 07-09-15 | 06:41 PM
FLYCT

Not sure how it works in Virginia but here's the deal in Florida.

Ask for a written "final invoice." Take that invoice to the court and post that amount with the court and have the Sheriff accompany you to get your car. The mechanic then must go to court to get his money. You get to present your case and if there's no signed authorization to perform the work you get your money back. If the mechanic doesn't file in a set time period you get your money back.

This procedure gets you your car and prevents the mechanic from filing a lien on your car.
Old 07-09-15 | 06:44 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

This is very helpful. Indeed there was no written authorization for this work to be performed. I will look online in Va for the specific law. If anyone can point me in the right direction please let me know..
Old 07-09-15 | 06:45 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

By the way I haven't paid yet!!
Old 07-09-15 | 06:51 PM
FLYCT

Another thought. If the mechanic found additional damage not in the original approved insurance estimate they should have requested a "supplemental" claim with the insurance company. If they didn't ask your insurance company what they recommend.

If unauthorized repairs were completed then check with local authorities to see if there is a procedure as posted in my previous posting.

I've done this once when I had a clutch replaced on a 300ZX Turbo. When I test drove the car after e repair the clutch chattered horribly. I posted the bond with court and picked up the car with the Sheriff. I then had it repaired at another shop and got my money back from the court.
Old 07-09-15 | 06:51 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the statute that seems relavant: § "59.1-207.3. Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; display of sign required; limitations on liability for delay; exception."

The problem is that I didn't ask for a written estimate because the mechanic said he would call me before he would perform work I could be charged for..
Old 07-09-15 | 07:07 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...I would definitely let the adjuster/insurance company know whats happening, they may have a solution for handling the situation. Is it possible to change shops or have the repairs gone too far for that now???
Old 07-09-15 | 07:20 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Here is the statute that seems relavant: § "59.1-207.3. Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; display of sign required; limitations on liability for delay; exception."

The problem is that I didn't ask for a written estimate because the mechanic said he would call me before he would perform work I could be charged for..
...but that goes back to what FLYCT posted, any extra work needed or required has to be authorized by the insurance company. In Texas, all work has to be authorized by the insurance company/adjuster that is not included in the initial adjustment. If more work is needed, an adjuster would be sent out to the shop & an inspection would be done. If they found it necessary, then a supplement check would be issued for the work
Old 07-09-15 | 07:25 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Well hopefully tomorrow the adjuster will return my phone call and will have an idea on how to proceed.. Very depressing
Old 07-10-15 | 12:31 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

Talked to insurance company today and they agree that Tony the mechanic should have contacted them (as well as me) for extra repairs and charges. A supplemental claim should have been issued and there is documentation that Tony the douche mechanic just went ahead with additional work.

Insurance company is currently disputing the additional charges. I should know something Monday. Thanks for everyone's tips!!
Old 07-12-15 | 09:59 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

In many states, a mechanic will not return a car if brakes, steering or suspension has been compromised. They must be fixed. I don't know how authorization is handled in this case.
Old 07-13-15 | 05:10 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Only is a jerk, word of mouth advertising will bring him to his knees! Post your situation on Facebook and wherever.
Old 07-13-15 | 02:48 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Balr14
In many states, a mechanic will not return a car if brakes, steering or suspension has been compromised. They must be fixed. I don't know how authorization is handled in this case.
that has nothing to do with the dispute, job billing without the owners approval or insurance authorization.
Old 07-14-15 | 06:24 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

The douche mechanic did a number of unecessary repairs to the extent of recharging my AC, which didn't even need it, and rewiring my obd2 port... Also replaced every possible engine component to pad the bill- valve cover and spark plug gaskets, thermostat, etc, even those were all NEW and did not need replacement
Old 07-16-15 | 08:47 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I have an update to tell everyone. It's not good. Too mad to write it out right now but it is quite a story. More to come..

Quick Reply: Recourse for Dishonest Mechanic?