SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Unbranded Exhaust System - Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 03:58 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey guys.... my ears were burning! Haha! Here's the link to my Weapon R Secret Weapon install. As for the 3rd cat and resonator delete mentioned above, both are behind the O2 sensors. I didn't have to bypass anything. Cut them off... no problem, no check engine lights. Then just ran straight pipes back to the stock muffler. Exhaust sounds nice and I get lots of compliments from shop onlookers and even mechanics. I got stopped by a Lexus SA yesterday for the exhaust in the Lexus of Westmont bay while I was picking up some parts. It resonates really nicely in the their indoor bar. Exhaust work only cost me total $60 to cut, straight pipes, and the welds. Be sure to keep your removed 3rd cat though. ALSO, please check your local EPA inspection regulation in terms of cutting the 3rd cat. Oklahoma doesn't require inspection, so I could get away with the 3rd cat removal. Might not be the same in your respective states. Just something to keep in mind.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...on-intake.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-21-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 04:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Shawn, I thought you replaced the muffler too. That is great to know! I did make an offer of $580 for the eBay link listed at the beginning of this post...if he turns my offer down, I will go the route you used.

Any chance you make a YouTube video of your car running?
Old 10-21-15, 07:21 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I did post it on this site. I will search for it and post it here. Here's a link that might help in the meantime.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...and-video.html
and
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post7636480
Old 10-22-15, 02:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I want to see your setup because I am interested in the increase in sound and a little performance!
Thanks for posting the links...
I too will look for your posts.
Old 10-22-15, 02:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, I am going to have the third cat and resonators removed in the morning.

From the engine going back, They are going to let the pipes come together, then cut the cat out, from the cut they are going to add a Y pipe, this will make the X crossover. From there it will be straight duals to the muffler, just before the muffler and flanges, they will make the new connection.

I hope to have a before and after video of the sound.

BTW, I had two estimates and both were around $200. Not sure why it is so expensive here in Florida, but oh well. I also liked the four 20 somethings at Midas, better than the single guy at the Indy.

It was funny to watch the guys a Midas, two of them were looking at it, giving opinions until this other guy came over, he was obviously the custom exhaust expert because they all went silent! They were all very cool guys and they seemed to know their business and Toyotas!

The manager was like, we can do this now (they close in 1.5hrs) and then the expert says to him, this is a 2.5hr job, I don't want to rush it! Gotta luv it!
Old 10-23-15, 08:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

its done, the third cat and resonators have been removed, here is a video of the before and after...Remember, this is my wife's car and she wanted it louder! :-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-07-18 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 09:11 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Midas did the work and I really like what they did for me! They are a great group of guys!
I sure hope mademedoit does not see what I did! He will call me names, LoL

Ready to begin...

He made the cut right before the third cat and after the tubing flat spots.

He added two hangers (not shown), just like OEM.

Nice welds!

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-23-15 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 02:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to exhaust systems but why do they rejoin the two separate exhaust pipes instead of allowing them to run separately to the back? It seems to me that rejoining them would only create extra back pressure, if not turbulence at the crossover point. It also appears that the over all exhaust path cross-section is reduced at the cross-over point, meaning less room to allow the exhaust to pass. What am I missing here?
Old 10-23-15, 05:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I too was trying to figure that out before I separated the exhaust design. Several us us at Midas discussed this and decided we should continue to allow the exhaust to join at the original catalyst point because:
Toyota designed it that way and we did not know if the muffler would join the exhaust.

If you do not join the exhaust, you basically have two four cylinder engines...

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-26-15 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 09:25 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I want to see your setup because I am interested in the increase in sound and a little performance!
Thanks for posting the links...
I too will look for your posts.
...hey Bgw70, I've had a chance to ride in Shawn's car & hear it first hand & it sounds great.
Old 10-24-15, 02:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey Bgw70, I've had a chance to ride in Shawn's car & hear it first hand & it sounds great.
Hey Tex, thanks for the info about Shawns SC, if you go back to post 21, I made a video of the before and after sound of my wife's SC, she is very happy with the new sound of her car! I like it too
Old 10-24-15, 08:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

The new sound is great Bgw. I'd be happy with that also.
Old 11-08-15, 12:40 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Wow, that's amazing. Most women prefer the quiet engine and would complain about the extra noise. (I know mine would.)
I had a Tbird with a fixed up 5.0, and it had custom true duals with hi flo magnaflow cats and mufflers, third cat delete, and x pipe in place of the resonator, and man that **** was loud!! It was even louder on my Mark VIII with the high revving 4.6 32v Intec Cobra engine. My mufflers were mounted at the end of the car like the SC has, which is why they have similar exhaust tones. When you are dealing with mid mounted mufflers with decently long tail pipes behind leading to the back of the car, is when you get the thunderous womp that you would get from a Trans Am or Mustang. I am expecting if I go for the mid mounted glasspack, it will add the deeper (with crackling sound) tone to my exhaust system I end up doing.

My Tbird caused ENDLESS fights between me and my (now) ex.. lol... She called it the TJ hotrod. She had a habit of calling me every night when I was on my way home from work and driving on the 101 in Los Angeles. At 65-75mph, that car had a horrible drone, and you could not hear ANYTHING even if you screamed.. lol.. it used to **** her off because I would yell into the phone that Ill call her back in few moments once I get off the freeway. She would be so pissed over that, I thought that I would wake up missing one of my nuts the next morning

I want to do the same exact setup on my SC, and there is a lot of room surprisingly under the car for it. I started digging into the car last weekend, fixing random things that were not put back on right after the body shop fixed the booboos from the previous accident. I thought I was going to for the Magnaflow kit, but then decided to do the same custom setup I had on my Tbird, but with extra measures taken to reduce the drone, although I dont think the drone will be anywhere near as bad on the SC.

I heard a few other SC's with the Magnaflow kit, but with cherry bomb glasspacks (I believe they were) mounted in mid section, and it sounded downright wicked. I envision running into my ex eventually, and she is going to be furious I have this car, but even more furious when she hears it roar by like my Tbird and Mark VIII did.. lol

Last night I attempted to put on my Weapon R intake, and it was VERY tight fitting and had to abort. There are three nipples on the intake tube, but only 2 small hoses connect to it, it you have 06 and up models, with 05 and under having three hoses. On the back of the stock air silencer on mine (mounted to the back on the intake tube), there was this little sensor that was sitting there unplugged, and it had a nipple on it for a hose that was missing. I freaked thinking I was missing **** on the engine at first, but then remember the car smogged, and had to pass inspection months before I got it, so I dug deeper, and found that sensor would have hypothetically been connected to the third nipple on the Weapon R intake tube (if it was 05 or under). I read stuff online in the past about people who had this issue and they just plugged one of the nipples on the intake tube. I just thought it was weird for Toyota to leave this sensor on my 06 sitting there and not being used - Did you guys have those sitting there as well, or am I completely wrong and potentially missing something? I am going to attempt this Weapon R install again today after picking up some rubber vacuum caps from autozone. Ill take pics of the air silencer and the sensor later on.
Old 11-08-15, 05:03 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Pardon my ignorance when it comes to exhaust systems but why do they rejoin the two separate exhaust pipes instead of allowing them to run separately to the back? It seems to me that rejoining them would only create extra back pressure, if not turbulence at the crossover point. It also appears that the over all exhaust path cross-section is reduced at the cross-over point, meaning less room to allow the exhaust to pass. What am I missing here?
That cross section does narrow down. It equalizes both banks. It also acts to speed up the exhaust through the Venturi effect. There's a lot of engineering that goes into an exhaust. It's not as simple and straightforward as one would think.
Old 11-08-15, 06:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC430fun
I had a Tbird with a fixed up 5.0, and it had custom true duals with hi flo magnaflow cats and mufflers, third cat delete, and x pipe in place of the resonator, and man that **** was loud!! It was even louder on my Mark VIII with the high revving 4.6 32v Intec Cobra engine. My mufflers were mounted at the end of the car like the SC has, which is why they have similar exhaust tones. When you are dealing with mid mounted mufflers with decently long tail pipes behind leading to the back of the car, is when you get the thunderous womp that you would get from a Trans Am or Mustang. I am expecting if I go for the mid mounted glasspack, it will add the deeper (with crackling sound) tone to my exhaust system I end up doing.

My Tbird caused ENDLESS fights between me and my (now) ex.. lol... She called it the TJ hotrod. She had a habit of calling me every night when I was on my way home from work and driving on the 101 in Los Angeles. At 65-75mph, that car had a horrible drone, and you could not hear ANYTHING even if you screamed.. lol.. it used to **** her off because I would yell into the phone that Ill call her back in few moments once I get off the freeway. She would be so pissed over that, I thought that I would wake up missing one of my nuts the next morning

I want to do the same exact setup on my SC, and there is a lot of room surprisingly under the car for it. I started digging into the car last weekend, fixing random things that were not put back on right after the body shop fixed the booboos from the previous accident. I thought I was going to for the Magnaflow kit, but then decided to do the same custom setup I had on my Tbird, but with extra measures taken to reduce the drone, although I dont think the drone will be anywhere near as bad on the SC.

I heard a few other SC's with the Magnaflow kit, but with cherry bomb glasspacks (I believe they were) mounted in mid section, and it sounded downright wicked. I envision running into my ex eventually, and she is going to be furious I have this car, but even more furious when she hears it roar by like my Tbird and Mark VIII did.. lol

Last night I attempted to put on my Weapon R intake, and it was VERY tight fitting and had to abort. There are three nipples on the intake tube, but only 2 small hoses connect to it, it you have 06 and up models, with 05 and under having three hoses. On the back of the stock air silencer on mine (mounted to the back on the intake tube), there was this little sensor that was sitting there unplugged, and it had a nipple on it for a hose that was missing. I freaked thinking I was missing **** on the engine at first, but then remember the car smogged, and had to pass inspection months before I got it, so I dug deeper, and found that sensor would have hypothetically been connected to the third nipple on the Weapon R intake tube (if it was 05 or under). I read stuff online in the past about people who had this issue and they just plugged one of the nipples on the intake tube. I just thought it was weird for Toyota to leave this sensor on my 06 sitting there and not being used - Did you guys have those sitting there as well, or am I completely wrong and potentially missing something? I am going to attempt this Weapon R install again today after picking up some rubber vacuum caps from autozone. Ill take pics of the air silencer and the sensor later on.
that is a long write up!
How do you do it?

Quick Reply: Unbranded Exhaust System - Magnaflow?