SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 02:17 PM
inscents41
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recall

Did everyone get a recall notice for 2002-2007 model year to replace the passenger airbag inflator module?
Old 08-12-15, 02:30 PM
mpezely
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received my recall notice Monday for my wife's 2006 SC. Made an appointment with the Lexus Dealer for this Saturday. Read some past reviews, hoping they don't have to remove the entire dash. My understanding this is a big job, about 5 or 6 hours. I'll post my repair information after Saturday.
Old 08-12-15, 04:30 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I got mine as well and I am really concerned since I have a lot of aftermarket accessories I installed I spoke to my service assoc he assured me that there master tech will do it and he has done at least six of them.
Old 08-12-15, 06:15 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by mpezely
I received my recall notice Monday for my wife's 2006 SC. Made an appointment with the Lexus Dealer for this Saturday. Read some past reviews, hoping they don't have to remove the entire dash. My understanding this is a big job, about 5 or 6 hours. I'll post my repair information after Saturday.
You need to read up on the recall threads before you go, if you do not you may or may not have good experience...just warning you...
Find a dealer that WILL NOT remove the dash. They can access the actuator from the passenger floor and work from underneath.
If the dealer is unaware, leave or take plenty of pictures and have them sign off that you car has zero issues before the work...
Also, have them fill the tank for free, Lexus pays for your gas and a rental.
Old 08-12-15, 11:04 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...just out of curiosity....did any of you guys get the initial recall or already have this done before? I'm just wondering, because my air bag was done about a year ago & didn't know if this is another recall that I should be expecting ?
Old 08-13-15, 02:04 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...just out of curiosity....did any of you guys get the initial recall or already have this done before? I'm just wondering, because my air bag was done about a year ago & didn't know if this is another recall that I should be expecting ?
The Takata airbag recall has been expanding to include additional late model cars.
Old 08-13-15, 05:11 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
You need to read up on the recall threads before you go, if you do not you may or may not have good experience...just warning you...
Find a dealer that WILL NOT remove the dash. They can access the actuator from the passenger floor and work from underneath.
If the dealer is unaware, leave or take plenty of pictures and have them sign off that you car has zero issues before the work...
Also, have them fill the tank for free, Lexus pays for your gas and a rental.
bgw I spoke with the service adviser at Lexus of Melbourne and he said everyone does it exactly the same. It is mandated by Lexus so they keep the lawyers off their back. He said their technicians are replacing the air bags with no deviation to how Lexus instructs them to. There will be no difference in the procedure from one dealer to another.
Old 08-13-15, 06:23 AM
Cajunsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just had recall done

Just had airbag recall done yesterday at Clear Lake Lexus just south of Houston. I talked to the mechanic that did the work. He said he figured out early on the first one he did that it is much easier to remove the glovebox and the blower motor to access the airbag. He has done many now with no problems. He said the "official " word from Lexus is to remove the dash, but he thinks that will only lead to other problems after reinstalling the dash. I drove it home to Louisiana with no problems or any lights coming on. Everything still works and no visible signs of the repair. I will let y'all know if anything pops up. 05 sc430 with 21,000 miles.
Old 08-13-15, 08:34 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
bgw I spoke with the service adviser at Lexus of Melbourne and he said everyone does it exactly the same. It is mandated by Lexus so they keep the lawyers off their back. He said their technicians are replacing the air bags with no deviation to how Lexus instructs them to. There will be no difference in the procedure from one dealer to another.
I am not going to argue with you about this, but Lexus must have two procedures, one to remove the dash and the other to work from underneath. I agree with Cajun and that is the way they performed the procedure on my car.

Did you speak with a female or male because the Recall POC at Lexus of Melbourne is a female. She handled the scheduling for me. When I arrived, the service person told me about the alternate better way to do the work. It takes less time and leads to less issues with the car after the completion of the recall.

The person you spoke to either gave you the lawyer answer or he really does not know how the procedure is executed. I will tell you this, the service person and techs knew what they were doing because the whole process was perfect.
Old 08-13-15, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My case, got 1st notice took it in and was informed no need to replace. And yes they did not remove dash. I have received a 2nd letter indicating that the air bag inflator has to be replaced. The dealer we send our cars to (with OBP) do not remove the dash but can get the inflator replaced successfully.

Have to take mine in soon. The Lexus dealer has been consistent in calling my home number reminding me to come in and do the recall.
Old 08-13-15, 11:46 AM
mpezely
Driver

I contacted the service manager today at LM Lexus here in Salt Lake City. My car is scheduled for this service on Saturday. l asked him to explain the procedure for this recall. He explained to me that it is done on the passenger side from underneath. I questioned him about removing the entire dash and he assured me that is NOT HOW IT IS DONE. I originally thought it was a 5 hour job and I would get the car back the same day, but now it sounds like they have to overnight a bag in, maybe two to three days.
Old 08-13-15, 06:34 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
My case, got 1st notice took it in and was informed no need to replace. And yes they did not remove dash. I have received a 2nd letter indicating that the air bag inflator has to be replaced. The dealer we send our cars to (with OBP) do not remove the dash but can get the inflator replaced successfully.

Have to take mine in soon. The Lexus dealer has been consistent in calling my home number reminding me to come in and do the recall.
Yo Mandy, get the inflator module replaced quick. Hearing it can act like a grenade spewing shrapnel on the passenger side. I got mine done as soon as it showed on the service website that I qualified. Was irritated and worried that other SCs were going in for replacement and I was not allowed to earlier on. Should have taken me longer than you cos of our different registration but Lexus should have gone full nationwide earlier anyway in my opinion. Honda went nationwide re Takata early on ( like 9 months plus ago maybe), Toyota /Lexus are behind and that seems less responsible than how Honda reacted.
Old 08-13-15, 09:27 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the letter while on travel. My SC was not on the list the first time around. Leaving for travel again and silver bulelt is still on jack stands so I'll get this done end of Aug. In Chantilly. If any DC/NVA folks get this done earlier please lpost where and your experience.
Old 08-14-15, 09:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Yo Mandy, get the inflator module replaced quick. Hearing it can act like a grenade spewing shrapnel on the passenger side. I got mine done as soon as it showed on the service website that I qualified. Was irritated and worried that other SCs were going in for replacement and I was not allowed to earlier on. Should have taken me longer than you cos of our different registration but Lexus should have gone full nationwide earlier anyway in my opinion. Honda went nationwide re Takata early on ( like 9 months plus ago maybe), Toyota /Lexus are behind and that seems less responsible than how Honda reacted.
Hey OBP, yes I need to send it to Nalley soon.

On the Takata recall, I have read extensively that it was HONDA who was cited for being too slow on the recall (other than Takata). They are facing stiff fines. Honda's fleet uses Takata Airbags like 70%, hence they got the big brunt of the recall. From what I read was like 20% or less of the Takata airbags ended in the Toyota-Lexus Cars.

Toyota is helping by testing the Takata Airbags. Toyota even though had a small percent actually initiated recall faster than Honda.

The GAP is that there is no test that exists today to prove that the suspect lot is the only potential issue. Hence Toyota and rival airbag makers are helping determine how to identify potentially faulted airbags. Hence the solution is to replace all of them. Makes sense?

Takata will probably have to pay the stiffest fine ever in history. They are comparing this to the Firestone-Ford tire issue, but bigger.
Old 08-14-15, 04:21 PM
mpezely
Driver

Dropped my wife's car off today at the dealership. Went in to the office of the service writer (there are about 5 of them...my first visit to the dealership). Talking to the service writer he explained to me that they would remove the passenger seat so the tech could lie on his back and do what he has to do to replace the actuator. They are in stock so the car will be ready tomorrow. At this point I would say I have had a very good experience at the dealership (LM LEXUS DEALERSHIP). Treated very well.

Quick Reply: Recall