SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just took delivery on new SC430!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 07:44 PM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just took delivery on new SC430!

I took delivery of my new 2003 Red/Ecru SC430! Damn this car is FUN!

Already ordered a carbon fiber bra, magnetic door guards and license plate vault from autoanything.com.

Finish maintained with Zymol Japon wax, Meguiars #34 Final Inspection. The plastic: Zymol Detail. Tires: Stoner products, Glass: Stoner products (works very well).

Run flats on this thing, but I see people have issues with these. What should I look out for or any other simptoms of RFT problems? Any better RFT than the Bridgestone's? If people change to non-rft, why and what made you change? Was it worth it?

I can only wish that "Catch-All" mats could be made for this vehicle. I had them in my RX300, and worked great protecting the carpet without looking like some cheep rubber door mat! They matched the carpet pretty close, and having a nice carpet-like texture. I'm concerned about the Ecru carpet becoming soiled, so if anyone has info on good hard-shell mats that replace the originals let me know.

I've also used Mobil 1 in the RX300 once it turned 5000 miles, and I will do the same for this SC430.

Now, if I can get some better weather!

200 miles of pure fun! This handles like a slot car! Glad I got one.

Deanski
Old 04-03-03, 08:41 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Just took delivery on new SC430!

Originally posted by Deanski
I took delivery of my new 2003 Red/Ecru SC430! Damn this car is FUN!

200 miles of pure fun! This handles like a slot car! Glad I got one.

Deanski

May I ask what you drove/owned before the SC430?

We pretty much all love our SC430 here! (Welcome BTW)...

But, um...

I'd NEVER compare it to a 'slot car' in the handling department. Or did you do a suspension upgrade to your SC430 before delivery?
Old 04-03-03, 09:53 PM
Arvin
Rookie

congrat!
Old 04-03-03, 10:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

But, um...

I'd NEVER compare it to a 'slot car' in the handling department. Or did you do a suspension upgrade to your SC430 before delivery?
We all can get a little over-excited at our new toys sometimes.

Anyway, congrats & enjoy your new car !!
Old 04-04-03, 02:48 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Slot car handling

OK, so I may be a bit excited over this car.

In the past, I've been driving SUV's (RX-300 and a Ford Explorer EB) and had a 1969 L88 Corvette.

I see some of you are using Zaino as a polish, I'm interested to know how well this product really works on Lexus finishes.

Thanks for all the comments and kind regards!

Regards,

Deanski
Old 04-04-03, 06:37 AM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deanski r/f questions...

Congrats. welcome to the CLUB. Before your first tank of gas....dump the R/F's....Check the many previous same-subject threads. Enjoy the car.
Old 04-04-03, 07:06 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default o.k.

I can see there being a huge difference going from an SUV to the SC430

BTW: I have Zaino on my red SC430 and wouldn't even think of using anything else!

I love it and can easily recommend it!

Enjoy your wonderful new car!
Old 04-04-03, 07:50 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, Deanski!

This is a great car, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm still loving mine after 10,000 miles.

Check out the thread "Need Advice on Non-Runflats". I asked for input on replacing my Bridgestone Runflats with Michelon Pilot Sports, and the answer was a resounding "do it"! My experience with the runflats... they are great on smooth pavement but a nightmare over railroad tracks, potholes, speedbumps, etc. The car is jolted each time you drive over these and, as a result, squeaks and rattles seem to pop up in various places over time. You'll see that from many owners on this forum. My feeling is that the runflats also detract from the car's handling, especially over rough surfaces.

Those owners who have replaced the runflats seem to be much happier with the ride AND handling. I'll know tomorrow because I'm replacing mine with Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflats). I'm planning on finding a donut spare to carry with me on long trips. After all, you always have Lexus Roadside Assistance! Some have also had Lexus install a spare tire kit and some are just carrying a can of Fix-a-Flat in the trunk. I'm planning on falling in love with this car all over again after the tire replacement!

Hope this helps. Again, congrats and enjoy your new toy!

DSeag2
Old 04-04-03, 10:56 AM
js45
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the new car. I've had mine for about 6 weeks with no problems. It seems almost eveyone on this forum does not like the runflats but for me they have been no problem. As long as you are not driving regularly on rutted roads, you should not even notice. The feel of the road is about the same as other sporty cars I've driven in the past. Those who want a 'floaty' ride will probably not be happy in this car.

I also read somewhere here that Bridgestone recently changed the formulation of the tire to reduce some of the harshness. I think more recent buyers like you and I may be the beneficiaries of this.

I think they are a great safety feature and like the idea I do not need to stop in potentially unsafe situations to have a flat fixed. Here in California people get killed regularly when they break down on the side of the highway. It's happened a couple of times to me and can be quite scary worrying about someone plowing into you while waiting for a truck. Also adds a few cubic millimeters to the trunk

I also have an ecru interior (indigo paint) and have read about the problems some have had with it. I have had the leather treated and again have not noticed anything so far. I have the OEM mats but figure when they get too dirty, I'll just buy a new set. That's what they're for anyway.

My detail guy told me that a regular 6 month to one year treatment should keep things spiffy.

Count me as a happy camper with the SC430. Looks great, rides great, you'd step over you own mother to get one

Last edited by js45; 04-04-03 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 11:53 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Updated RFT

I agree with having an updated version of the RFT's. I was told by the dealer that Bridgestone has reformulated the sidewalls to be a bit more forgiving, so the ride will be not as bone jarring.

I may in the future switch to non-RFT's, but for now it's fine so long as I avoid potholes!

I just tried Stoner "Invisible Glass" and it does what it says it will do! What a change! Like they say, the glass is invisible!

I also tried the Stoner "More Shine, Less Time" for the tires. This also does a superb job!

Can't wait for the weather to warm up to try Zaino products, from what I'm hearing this is the best way to polish the car. I see they have only polish and nothing to protect the finish after you use their polish. I'm still happy with Zymol Japon, so I may use it after treating it with Zaino just to put a protective coating on top of a polished finish.

Are there any products to keep all the engine rubber/plastic clean and new without collecting dirt as some dressings do? I hate the fact that after dressing all the rubber/platic on some vehicles, the dessing attracts dirt into all you just finished cleaning and dressing. Something that dries and not greasy.

Now, where did I leave that Sammy Hagar CD? "I can't drive 55!" is an understatment with this car!

Thanks again everyone, and yes I'm enjoying this car! It's like my vette all over again!

DEANSKI

Old 04-07-03, 09:03 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Deanski, I just had the Bridgestone Potenza runflats switched out for Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflats) on Saturday. Believe me, there is absolutely nothing "floaty" about the ride. The tires are much more sticky than the runflats, I feel much more in control of the car, and the ride is greatly improved. Because of the decrease in harshness the rattle in my dash and roof have disappeared.

I lived with the Bridgestones for 6 months and also thought they were okay, but that's because I didn't have anything to compare them to. Do yourself a favor... don't wait too long before dumping the runflats so you can really enjoy this car!
Old 04-07-03, 10:27 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Wow Congrats, sounds like a great ride post some pics when you can!

~ Stella