SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 07:23 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Out of my league

Originally Posted by kjcole
BGW70 - good explanation!!

LexBrett. I only suggested a timing problem based on the fact that the car was misfiring and shaking so badly. Actually checking that the belt hadn't jumped requires a fair bit of disassembly, and good knowledge of compression vs exhaust strokes in order to tind top-dead-center for timing.

There are some sensors/actuators(?) related to controlling the variable valve timing that are accessible from the front of the engine (one on each side). Not sure if they would cause the symptoms you describe if one went south. There are a few threads here, but can't remember what the parts are called.

Honestly, at this point I'd get it towed to somewhere you trust and get a clean diagnosis not based on the assumption that you did something while changing out the headlight.
Hey Guys,
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm waiting to determine next steps based on whether my insurance is going to help.
Old 09-23-15, 06:05 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

Had a couple independent look at my car last night. They seemed legit, and we're using all kinds of computers and all kinds of gizmos. Indicated that the fuel trims were way off, such that the air fuel mixture was incorrect. Certainly makes sense. Told them I already checked TPS, PCV, MAF, 02 sensors, and did the carb method for leaks. They are coming back tomorrow with their laptops and adequate sunlight along with a vacuum diagram. Wish me luck..

By the way, I know some might just tow their car to a shop and see what happens. I just can't go through that again, and refuse to be held hostage by an unethical mechanic..
Old 09-23-15, 07:11 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Had a couple independent look at my car last night. They seemed legit, and we're using all kinds of computers and all kinds of gizmos. Indicated that the fuel trims were way off, such that the air fuel mixture was incorrect. Certainly makes sense. Told them I already checked TPS, PCV, MAF, 02 sensors, and did the carb method for leaks. They are coming back tomorrow with their laptops and adequate sunlight along with a vacuum diagram. Wish me luck..

By the way, I know some might just tow their car to a shop and see what happens. I just can't go through that again, and refuse to be held hostage by an unethical mechanic..
It appears you will soon have answers to your problems!

I still content you may have air coming in at the wrong place due to the aftermarket intake tube. Just guessing...
Old 09-23-15, 09:48 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
It appears you will soon have answers to your problems!

I still content you may have air coming in at the wrong place due to the aftermarket intake tube. Just guessing...
Hope to have some answers soon too! We were checking the intake last night for leaks, but didn't find any anything. Also worth noting that I have been running that same set up for years, and removed and installed dozens of times...

Anyways, will report back...
Old 09-23-15, 10:25 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Problem solved

Problem solved. The timing was off. My replacing the headlight had nothing to do with it. Just a coincidence. Was all because of douche mechanic. Paid a good independent. Will elaborate more tomorrow..
Old 09-24-15, 01:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Bitter/Sweet, found the problem. Did it jump timing on both cams or just one?
How many teeth did it jump, hopefully no more than one.

A timing belt kit may be the ticket to get you back on the road.

Just curious, how did the previous mechanic make the engine jump timing? The timing belt is an "all or none" situation.

I would be more inclined to question the supplier of the engine and how many miles it has. They told you 91k, where is the proof? The mechanic received the engine from a salvage yard, they pulled the engine and wrote a mileage.

My point is to be very careful about blaming this on the mechanic.

Things like High miles and high resistance during the compression stoke, i.e. Back firing, can cause the engine timing to jump.

I just hope they honor the engine warranty and if they do, let you choose your next mechanic.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-24-15 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-24-15, 05:40 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Bitter/Sweet, found the problem. Did it jump timing on both cams or just one?
How many teeth did it jump, hopefully no more than one.

A timing belt kit may be the ticket to get you back on the road.

Just curious, how did the previous mechanic make the engine jump timing? The timing belt is an "all or none" situation.

I would be more inclined to question the supplier of the engine and how many miles it has. They told you 91k, where is the proof? The mechanic received the engine from a salvage yard, they pulled the engine and wrote a mileage.

My point is to be very careful about blaming this on the mechanic.

Things like High miles and high resistance during the compression stoke, i.e. Back firing, can cause the engine timing to jump.

I just hope they honor the engine warranty and if they do, let you choose your next mechanic.
It's hard not to blame Tony the mechanic. He broke my radiator, AC, and ripped out a wire from O2 sensor housing. Also had every warning light on my dash blinking. My independent said that was probably not torqued correct. He also said the belt was brand new. So the last person to go in there was Tony the mechanic.

In any event, just so thrilled to have sc back. She is a mess and have to clean her up now. Plus, the headlight looks fantastic :-)
Old 09-24-15, 08:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Lex,
I certainly understand how you feel about Tony and I am sure I would feel the same! Did you already have the fixed or is that happening now?

Either way, I am sincerely happy for you!!!

Be sure to share all of the details with us, when able.
Old 09-24-15, 09:11 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

It's fixed. Joy, joy, joy. Had nightmares about sending her to the junkyard... my independent did notice that a pulley needs to be replaced, but for now everything is great
Old 09-24-15, 11:52 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lex,

I know you must feel like the weight is lifted off your shoulders. Enjoy.

It's strange how it went from Engine feels incredible. More power and more responsive. Don't know her origins, but she *looks* new! to it won't idle due to timing being off.

Regardless glad for you that it's running well.
Old 09-24-15, 12:01 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex, what wasn't "torqued correct"? Curious.
Old 09-24-15, 12:14 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Lex, what wasn't "torqued correct"? Curious.
Sorry, I don't know...
Old 09-25-15, 08:24 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default P0441

P0441 today, will check my shop manual, but assume I will need to check vacuum lines around the Vehicle Switching Valve, the connection, and my gas cap. Any other suggestions? Very logical to get this code since my independent was going through every sensor in the car and checking vacuum lines..

On an unrelated note, the insurance adjuster called this morning and wants to take a look at my car. I chose to have my car repaired on my own, given that I felt it was highly unlikely the insurance company would follow through and repair properly.

When I call him today, I will ask him if I can be reimbursed for the adjustment of the valve timing. Not sure what he would say but it is worth a shot. In hindsight I could have waited for him to call me back and get insurance to repair, but I have waited for months and months for this guy to call me back...

Will also talk to him about unauthorized repairs. If insurance won't help, I have other plans... he he he

Last edited by LexBrett; 09-25-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 08:44 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop a Chevy Crate Motor in it and a manual trans it. Sounds like a project car at this point. That poor car has been through a lot.
Old 09-25-15, 09:49 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rudyH
Drop a Chevy Crate Motor in it and a manual trans it. Sounds like a project car at this point. That poor car has been through a lot.
j

I'm not that worried about the p0441 code, as it is pretty generic and doesn't effect drivability. But it's true she has become my second tuner car. At least now I have the option of selling if need be. But with new tires and wheels, fresh fluids, and rebuilt engine I hope things work out and I get to keep her. If I truly decide to have her as a mod car, maybe I will go nuts and run Nitrous :-)

Quick Reply: Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!