SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New 03 SC430 Owner - Electrical Engineer by day and not afraid to mod!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15 | 12:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I use Qi wirelss charging with my HTC One M9 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro. I added this capability with a Qi receiver pad that can be easily found on ebay. I charge them with a Samsung official charging pad. I know you said you are thinking of adding this feature to your build, which is a great idea. I was looking at Land Rover at one time and the newer models have this feature. But, in terms of actual functionality it's hit or miss. I will say that it's a very very slow charge and most phones will take overnight to charge. Secondly, on my charging pad, I literally have to position the phone in exactly the right place to get the best charge. In a car this would be tough as the phone would slide around and change position and thus no charging. Thirdly, thickness is an issue, so if you put on of those rubber "Grab-It" pads, as well as have a cell phone case, the wireless charging capability might be lost. These are just a few issues to consider if you go down that path. But you're doing some excellent work... way to go!

To Harold, above you said something about your LED's giving you some headache. I figure you mean some flickering. This might not necessarily be the switch. LED's are notorious for flickering. Now they've started making error free and flicker free LED's. Unfortunately, most won't fit in the map light console.
Old 10-16-15 | 02:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yes, I agree that wireless charging is not the panacea that folks want it to be. The problem stems from how quickly the magnetic field dies off over a distance (it is related to the square of the distance, so it is fairly quick). It is a great idea to send power over the air but it really has not been very effectively created yet. Tesla (the man, not the company/car) tried for years and had some measured success but he was also dealing with a much larger scale than this. So you are correct, the "environment" has to be pretty ideal for it to work.

Shawn, regarding the map light LED problem I had, no it was not a flickering. It was definitely a switch problem. I had a hard time getting the switch to work. After I cleaned it up (thanks to Retroplay's dis-assembly insight/instructions), it works now like a charm. However, I suspect that my success with it will be semi-short lived because the slider had worn a groove in the contacts and one of the sliders had spread out some since they are so delicate. So it may not last very long even with the cleaning. I still need to go back and attempt to do something with the door switch up there also but I'll have to figure out what to replace the electrical grease with first since I don't have any of that.

LEDs shouldn't flicker when using a constant DC supply like the map lights do. They will flicker when driven with an AC supply, like that in your house or in something like the headlights where I suspect that electronics are used to boost the voltage up, requiring a switching power supply.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 10-16-15 | 03:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

I found a picture stand that holds my Qi charge at a 45 degree angle in the top part of the center console. I just toss it in and gravity keeps it in place. The 45 degree angle has the additional benefit reducing the overall height so that the console top closes without any problem. Here's a picture of it open:

Name:  20151016_175617_zpsfbdbgrsn.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  170.6 KB

I also have a vertical charger for a spare battery, just in case (see immediately to the right). I know you iPhone people aren't familiar with "spare battery" but then again, iPhone people aren't familiar with inductive charging either!!
Old 10-16-15 | 10:14 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Single coil Qi chargers do have an issue with placement. I would be using a three coil Qi charger. I have actually tested it with the sticky pad on top and believe it or not, it still works!

However, I have actually been considering using magnets to hold the phone in place. Basically just two thin metal strips inside my case and magnets inside the Qi charger (away from the coil.)

The console box like Johnny is using gives the most room. And if you are fully handsfree and my integration of the phone works with into my CarPC, it may be the better option.

So then that would mean cupholders are for cups. I may be able to fit two cupholders in there somewhat awkwardly (remember it isn't wide enough for a can at the bottom.) Hmm...

I agree, I am probably going to need to give up on the idea of the phone holder in the cupholder idea though.
Old 10-17-15 | 09:11 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I have seen a Qi charger that is built into a pouch/sleeve so you just slide your phone in and it's secure. Another option.
Old 10-17-15 | 09:54 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have seen a Qi charger that is built into a pouch/sleeve so you just slide your phone in and it's secure. Another option.
I've seen those and they boggle my mind. If you are going to the trouble of fitting your phone into a pouch, you might as well just plug it in. The advantage of Qi is the convenience of just tossing it the pad.
Old 10-17-15 | 10:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Yeah but it was one of those pouches that prevents the phone from sliding around in the car, thus preventing the earlier problem about I stated about it being in the exact right place to accomplish adequate charging. If the plan is to use a triple coil it should eliminate this problem. But for single coil, the issue of sliding around is still the problem. I was thinking maybe someone could modify the front of the pouch and tack it into place so it still has the edges to hold the phone in place and still give accurate charge. Just thinking out loud and trying to give some helpful options, I guess.
Old 10-18-15 | 04:42 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Not much to update this weekend guys. My family is stuck in the path of Typhoon Lando in the Philippines right now, so I have been trying to track that. Lost communication with them about 5 hours ago.

If you believe, prayers would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-15 | 08:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

We prayed for the people of the Philippines, at church this morning, who are in the path of the Typhoon
Old 10-18-15 | 08:04 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
We prayed for the people of the Philippines, at church this morning, who are in the path of the Typhoon

Thank you. My wife and stepdaughter are near Aurora where it first hit. Hoping I will hear from them soon.
Old 10-18-15 | 08:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Stay strong brother and keep a positive outlook!!!

It might be better if you could go work on the car for awhile...
The following users liked this post:
jszachar (02-12-21)
Old 10-18-15 | 10:25 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Stay strong brother and keep a positive outlook!!!

It might be better if you could go work on the car for awhile...
Taking your advice. I am driving myself nuts glued to the computer looking for updates.
Old 10-19-15 | 12:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Retro, my best wishes to your family abroad. My thoughts are with you and yours. Stay positive.
Old 10-19-15 | 12:44 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Retro, my best wishes to your family abroad. My thoughts are with you and yours. Stay positive.
Thank you Shawn. I did finally hear from them through a friend there late last night. They are safe, the typhoon moved on, but the power will be out for a few days. Only slight damage to our house there.
Old 10-19-15 | 01:53 PM
texsexlex
Racer

..good to hear !!!....losing power & damage to a house is alot better than losing loved ones, I know it was a big relief for you

Quick Reply: New 03 SC430 Owner - Electrical Engineer by day and not afraid to mod!