Old 09-15-15, 08:48 PM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

I'm very seriously considering buying this car tomorrow:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5178446928.html

2002 black and saddle, 79K miles, 11500$
I've been looking for one for a while and I love this color combo. The problem is that, although it has a clean carfax and a ton of Lexus maintenance records, it has had 8 owners.
Is that definitely a problem? It seems to have been very well taken care of. I've got the incredible buyer's guide sticky printed out and ready for my test-drive tomorrow. Some of the work that was done at the Lexus dealer includes wet sanding, sent removal and painting to repair dents on the drivers door. Is it normal for Lexus dealers to do that? How much does that kind of work affect a car's value? I'm assuming that since it was done at the dealership it looks good. Would really appreciate any and all input. Thank you.
Old 09-15-15, 10:55 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting history. Started in SE Florida at Pembroke Pines Lexus then JM Lexus, then Sewell Lexus Texas? then California. I've used both Pembroke Pines and JM service and both do good work.

Lexus dealer service history doesn't look bad at all for a 2002.

How's the paint? abused black can look nasty.

If it looks good and drives like it should then I'd get a mechanic to check it out and buy it.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-15-15 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 11:29 PM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
interesting history. Started in SE Florida at Pembroke Pines Lexus then JM Lexus, then Sewell Lexus Texas? then California. I've used both Pembroke Pines and JM service and both do good work.

Lexus dealer service history doesn't look bad at all for a 2002.

How's the paint? abused black can look nasty.

If it looks good and drives like it should then I'd get a mechanic to check it out and buy it.
Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to tell by the pictures but the paint looks good. It DOES need a new timing belt but it had the Lexus world class inspection done in May and they repaired everything but the timing belt that came up on the inspection. It also looks like it was a certified pre-owned more than once. Strange history indeed.
Old 09-15-15, 11:53 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Good luck - do indeed check out the paint and condition of the body up close - Solman bought a great vehicle sight unseen but got a little messed up on the condition of the paint/unexpected dings. Not everything shows up in pics. Took some extra work to get it fixed cosmetically.
Old 09-16-15, 10:42 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chreesto
wet sanding, seat removal and painting to repair dents on the drivers door.
Seat removal? That must have been some dent!

Its a very nice color combo, but as others have said, you don't want to buy it sight unseen. Also, the leather can look like crap in a 2002 if it hasn't been well taken care of.

The only other thing of interest is the back-up camera. While nice to have, it suggests that one of the owners decided to do some mods. Maybe there were other mods, now removed, but I would have a concern that a non-mechanic was working on the car. Heck, I've done so many mods to my car that a buyer might be legitimately skeptical of what gremlins might lurk -- every now and then, I have a part left over after reassembly!!

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 09-16-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 11:44 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Seat removal? That must have been some dent!

Its a very nice color combo, but as others have said, you don't want to buy it sight unseen. Also, the leather can look like crap in a 2002 if it hasn't been well taken care of.

The only other thing of interest is the back-up camera. While nice to have, it suggests that one of the owners decided to do some mods. Maybe there were other mods, now removed, but I would have a concern that a non-mechanic was working on the car. Heck, I've done so many mods to my car that a buyer might be legitimately skeptical of what gremlins might lurk -- every now and then, I have a part left over after reassembly!!
Sorry. It was supposed to read "dent removal". Spellcheck got me. I'm headed to see it now and will definitely give it a thorough going-over. Interesting about the backup camera. Thanks for all of the assistance.
Old 09-16-15, 03:12 PM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Well............I saw it and couldn't pull the trigger. This is the 2nd 2002 lexus I've sat in and this one (with 20000 fewer miles) was in much worse condition. I sat in a black on black wherein the leather was still supple and really perfect. The leather wasn't torn at all and was clean but it felt stiff and dry. There were a few imperfections on the outside and the inside was a bit dingy. I will hold out for something better. I will say, however, that that car sounded amazing and drove really well. I can't wait until the day that I find one that I can call my own. There actually wasn't a backup camera, the lady selling it was just confused. Thanks to all who helped prepare me for the visit.
Old 09-17-15, 04:16 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Patience is a virtue, glad you passed on it.
Old 09-18-15, 09:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

JM2C, engine and driveline are the most important aspects to evaluate. Cosmetic interior parts, including seats can be replaced relatively easily.

Engine and Tranny are not replaceable items without great expense.
Old 09-18-15, 09:39 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
JM2C, engine and driveline are the most important aspects to evaluate. Cosmetic interior parts, including seats can be replaced relatively easily.

Engine and Tranny are not replaceable items without great expense.
That's a good point. I was impressed with the the drivetrain. I think I could have spruced up the interior and made the car quite nice. In the end, what held me back was a period of. Couple years and about 18000 miles where I can't find any service history. That made me really suspicious about things like fit-gaps where the front bumper met the drivers' side quarterpanel and weird putty-like repair marks on the bumper. I'm going to keep looking!