SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 Owner... A Few Questions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 06:53 AM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New SC430 Owner... A Few Questions Please

Hello Everyone. Very Unexpectedly I purchased a Millenium Silver 04 with a little over 50k miles. Was just killing some time before meeting the wife for lunch, saw the car, and couldn't pass it up. The car is simply gorgeous and the interior with the Beige and Maple wood, equally sharp.

I have now spent two days searching without luck for a few answers to my first questions about my new car. I hope you guys can help me with your experience, and know how. Please know that I am definitely not a DIY'er, so all would would have to be farmed out. Here goes....

1) Probably a "minor" thing, but I noticed a thin label sized piece of paper that appears to contain some kind of thin "circuitry" or wiring for something that is attached to the top of my rear view mirror. I wouldn't have noticed it if not for one side coming off. Anyone know what this thing is, does?

2) My screen and map function works fine, showing where I am and moving as I travel, however when trying to put in an address into the Navigation, it fails to give me any options for cities other than in NJ and Maryland. Huh? I did find what looks like a Navigation DVD, unopened in the car manual folder, is it possible the Navigation DVD was never installed? Do I need to look under
the passenger seat remove whatever might be in there, if anything, and then try to install this unopened disk?

2) Lastly, my apologies for the long post. But my CD player will not load. There appears to be no disks in the changer. Can I take this to any dedicated Stereo place to be looked at and repaired or is this a sign that the CD player is gone? I have read the threads about the install of the new double din radios that do give me added feature benefits, but being an old school guy I'd really prefer to just have the OEM system repaired if possible. Please help with that request,
as I can always fall back on having the system yanked and replaced if all else fails.

Thanks guys. I really am looking forward to driving my great new car. Have always admired
its beauty and now found one that was affordable for me. Wow.
Old 10-12-15, 09:22 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Mazor, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new car! You won't regret it. Try to post some photos when you can! I can try to help with your questions. The first two are easy. The third might be a little more complicated.
1) I believe that strip to be a RF information strip that is used by some dealerships to identify the car when you enter their service bay. I found one on my car and thought I was being monitored by some government agency or something! Haha! But after posting on this forum, it was confirmed that it is used to identify my vehicle when I enter the Lexus Service Bay. When i pull in the monitor usually reads, "Welcome Shawn!". I'm sure there is other information associated, but not sure what other info the strip reports.
2) On the main screen, there is a Map of the US, you will have to change the location by selecting the region below the US map. Then choose the state you want to set for the address you are trying to enter. Should fix your problem
3) I'm sure you've tried the LOAD button for each disk, which will then allow the plastic over the slot to open. If this fails there might be a more devious problem. I've heard of some owners just hitting the side of the radio to knock CD's loose once they become stuck. Are all the other features of the radio working properly (speakers, FM/AM, screen, *****, favorites, etc)?
Old 10-12-15, 09:51 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mazor1 welcome to CL, congratulations on the acquisition. Post a few pics when you can.

Here's a few links which could give you the answers:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...the-sc430.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ned-sc430.html

Take the time to peruse over these.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-15, 01:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazor1
1)
4) Besides above mentioned hood "alignment" issue, I have noticed some wobble
and road noise from front drivers side tire after reaching 60 mph. I suspect there will
be some repair and cost necessary to fix this. Also need to repair CD player which will
not load, but otherwise the radio and sound system sounds very good.
Mazor, I noticed from another one of your postings that you've noticed front end wobble. Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Are they 18" or larger? For some reason, there is a resonance between 50 & 60 mph that if anything in the front end is off, causes the front end to wobble in that range.

My car does it but it seems to be more related to flat spots than front end problems. After I've driven it for a few minutes, the wobble goes away. Others have had to go through much more extensive measures to clean up their wobbles and there are several threads regarding that on the SC430 forum. (Run flats may be more likely have more issues with flat spots than regular tires, but that is just speculation on my part.) Folks with aftermarket wheels, especially larger than 20", seem to have the most severe problems with the wobble.

There is a couple of really good threads in the stickies at the top of the forum page that are definitely worth checking out, if you haven't already.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new acquisition.
Old 10-12-15, 02:02 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Mazor, I noticed from another one of your postings that you've noticed front end wobble. Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Are they 18" or larger? For some reason, there is a resonance between 50 & 60 mph that if anything in the front end is off, causes the front end to wobble in that range.

My car does it but it seems to be more related to flat spots than front end problems. After I've driven it for a few minutes, the wobble goes away. Others have had to go through much more extensive measures to clean up their wobbles and there are several threads regarding that on the SC430 forum. (Run flats may be more likely have more issues with flat spots than regular tires, but that is just speculation on my part.) Folks with aftermarket wheels, especially larger than 20", seem to have the most severe problems with the wobble.

There is a couple of really good threads in the stickies at the top of the forum page that are definitely worth checking out, if you haven't already.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Harold, Thanks for your reply/inquiry. Well, thinks have changed drastically since I posted my original and first message. I took the car out for a nice, errand filled drive earlier today and whatever was causing my "wobble" must have totally failed. At first the wobble only showed itself after I reached 50 mph, otherwise the ride was smooth. I had the dealership from whom I bought the car change the wheels and tires from what was orginally on the car and it did not change
anything with the wobble, so I just figured it was something in the front end.

Well, about 2 hours ago while headed home I was going about 35 and the car took a violent, but very controllable pull and shimmy to the left. Thankfully I was immediately on top of the situation and was not near any other cars. I slowed down immediately and thought at first like a tire had blown, so I pulled over and saw nothing. Upon starting back up I noticed theride of the car had now changed to unfavorable, like the car was unstable, so I immediately drove to a nearby mechanic shop who I had only had experience with a week ago, and with my emergency lights flashing made the 2 miles or so there going no faster than 20 mph.

At this writing he is going to put the car up on a lift and tell me the bad news. I have no idea what may have broken, come loose or whatever, but I guess you can say I am preparing myself to spend a few bucks to get the problem taken care of. I'll provide an update in a new thread about this issue, from "wobble" to "wholly crap" to "who knows what" after hearing back from the shop hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-12-15, 07:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Best of luck to you. It sounds like you may have just dodged a large bullet, thought. I'd hate to think what would have happened if that had happened at freeway speeds.