SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air Cabin Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 08:34 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Air Cabin Filter Change

As part of my current effort to update all of the service for my new (to me) 2002 SC430, I decided to replace my Air Cabin Filter. I read the details on this procedure in my owner's manual and purchased a new Fram filter via Amazon for $30.

I easily access the filter behind my glove box, but quickly determined that there was a LOT of "stuff" jammed up on top of the filter. Looked like a big wad of yarn. After much effort, I was able to get the old filter pulled out, being as careful as I could to not have the debris drop down onto the fan motor directly below the filter.

See photo for what I ended up pulling out of the filter! Holy Rats Nest, Batman!!! I really don't know why or how such a major pile of yarn would have gotten into my car, not to mention a fairly large quantity of dry dog food. I'm thinking perhaps some mice must have taken up residence in that location from the previous owner, but that doesn't really explain all the dog food. Perhaps a dog food spill while the hood was open that allowed the pieces to drop down into the air intake?

Anyway, after removing as much of the "stuff" as I could from the top of the fan motor, I reinstalled the new filter (very easy operation), put everything back in place, and started the car. I heard the distinct sound of dog food particles being sucked through my fan motor (not a pleasant sound), and then everything seemed to be fine with the fan in all modes. A few of the dog food pieces must have slipped through the fins of the fan.

So I'm hoping that this debris in my system doesn't cause any lasting harm to my fan or overall climate control. I drove around quite a bit yesterday, and didn't seem to have any problems. My overall system is actually working much nicer now that the huge wad of crud has been removed from the filter (it's amazing the system worked at all with all that stuff blocking the airflow).

Anyone have a similar experience? For those who have never changed their air cabin filter, I do highly recommend it -- very simple to do and who knows what you'll find...
Attached Thumbnails Air Cabin Filter Change-2002-lexus-sc430-filterjpg.jpg  
Old 10-13-15, 09:03 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

For sure its a mouse house that must of liked dog food. Had a problem at home with mice eating the dry dog food left out for my late eating dogs .
Old 10-13-15, 09:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Wow, I have heard of horror stories like these, but never from the SC forum. You would not believe what sort of animals live in your ride. In your case, they found their way into your fresh air intake, ending up in your filter bank. Question is HOW?
Old 10-13-15, 11:56 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mice get in mine as well and then die in the airbox. I was noticing the smell about the time I took it in for the airbag recall. Mechanic said it was stinking up the shop so they dug around until they found it. LOL!!
Old 10-13-15, 09:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

A very common problem with the SC430. Not sure how this happens to so many owners... must be a flaw in the blower intake.... I had to run an ozone machine for like two days straight and then a whole bottle of lysol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-system-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-motor-2.html
Old 10-14-15, 12:35 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
A very common problem with the SC430. Not sure how this happens to so many owners... must be a flaw in the blower intake.... I had to run an ozone machine for like two days straight and then a whole bottle of lysol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-system-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-motor-2.html

lol. This was actually an upcoming secret project I hadn't mentioned yet. I have the parts to install a small ozone generator directly in the vent system. Did it on my old car and never needed an air freshener again.

With the winters here, the carpets tend to get pretty midlewy.

After all the stuff I have already found and cleaned digging around in the center console (previous owner apparently ate all their meals in the car), I can only imagine what I am going to find when I get into the vent/cabin filter area.
Old 10-14-15, 02:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, there have been several mice stories on this forum, mainly from newly purchased (used) vehicles. One sounded like it had housed a colony of mice. The most common thread has been related to vehicles that have been stored either for the winter or because the owner was out of the country for some time.
Old 06-06-18, 11:38 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 345 Posts

Does the 2005 SC 430 require the climate control system to be put in the recirculate mode to open the cabin air access door behind the glove box like the LS 460 does?

Dennis
Old 06-06-18, 02:14 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

No any mode is fine to change the filter
Old 06-06-18, 05:03 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Bob

Thanks

Dennis
Old 06-06-18, 08:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 896 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Bob

Thanks

Dennis
were you able to locate the filter?
those retaining pins in the sides of the glovebox door can be removed, turn them one quarter turn then pull them out.
you can also just push the sides of the glovebox in and drop the glovebox...but you may break something...be carful.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-07-18 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-07-18, 05:25 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Bgw70

Will look at it today.

Dennis
Old 06-07-18, 06:24 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Bgw70

Will look at it today.

Dennis
Dennis, Hope you don't find a mouse nest like I did! That was pretty shocking, but did no long-term harm fortunately!
Old 06-07-18, 08:51 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Rich

I checked both the engine and the cabin AC filter today for Steve. No mice, both looked new. However when I did check the Cabin AC filter I did find that the lower clips on the filter door cover were broke off and it was just kinda hanging there. I called the Lexus of Richmond dealer right down the road and got the part number 888 91 30680 for him and he can order a replacement. They said they could have it in a day at $15.00

Hot in NE today?

Dennis
Old 06-07-18, 09:45 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Speaking of mice...
[ThreadDerail]
A few years ago I had an old Civic for a few months. One day, I started it up and it just revved itself nearly to the redline, with no foot on the gas. I kicked the gas a couple of times, and it settled back down. It did it a gain a day later when I was out. I took the air cleaner cover off and found this:

This is what's left of an air filter after a freaking rat decides to make a bed in your air intake. The throttle body was nearly full, hence the crazy revving. I shudder to think how much paper went through the cylinders.
[/ThreadDerail]

Quick Reply: Air Cabin Filter Change