SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 03:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Here are all of the bushings for the front end, the only things left are the sway bar end links and inner and outer tie rod ends, both of those can be purchased on rockauto.

Now, you can also purchase the upper and lower control arm no.1 from rockauto but not the no.2 control arm, not sure why.

Toyota is the only place that will sell the LCA no.2, if someone found it somewhere else, please provide a link. Hope this helps...

Amazon is cheaper than The TM website.
The sway bar bushing are for the front and rear.

Rack bushing Rack bushing

Sway bar bushings Sway bar bushings

Upper and both lower control arm bushings Upper and both lower control arm bushings

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-17-15 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 07:42 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Here are all of the bushings for the front end, the only things left are the sway bar end links and inner and outer tie rod ends, both of those can be purchased on rockauto.

Now, you can also purchase the upper and lower control arm no.1 from rockauto but not the no.2 control arm, not sure why.

Toyota is the only place that will sell the LCA no.2, if someone found it somewhere else, please provide a link. Hope this helps...

Amazon is cheaper than The TM website.
The sway bar bushing are for the front and rear.

Rack bushing

Sway bar bushings

Upper and both lower control arm bushings
Thanks for the detailed info, Bgw!

I've also searched for the Lower Control Arm #2 (Caster Arm) assemblies and haven't found an aftermarket alternative. I did check the MyLParts site and found that I could purchase both right and left Caster Arm assemblies (the Lexus OEM versions) for a total of $253, so that may be a good way to go. From everything I've read, the bushing in the Caster Arms tend to soften up over time, which may be contributing to my harsh front end on bumps. This problem can also contribute to premature tire wear, and since I just replaced my tires, this may be a good time to make sure they don't wear out quickly. Since I'll be having my Indie shop do this work, it may save labor cost to simply replace the Caster arms themselves, vs having the bushings removed and new ones pressed back in.

From all my reading, I'm actually a bit concerned with making the switch to Poly Bushings, especially the Daizen version, which have some people complaining of squeaking if not greased adequately. I prefer a softer, more damped ride, and am not as concerned with laser-sharp steering, and it seems like conventional wisdom has the rubber bushings as more suited to people who prefer "comfort" over sportiness (like me). I've read great things about the Figs Poly bushing sets, but they are VERY pricey...

I'm really not sure that my steering rack bushings need to be replaced, since I don't have any excessive steering wheel play or "wandering" on the highway. I know Poqman recommended swapping them out with the Daizen Poly version...

I may start by replacing the Lower Control Arm #2 assemblies to see what impact that has on my ride. If it still isn't right, I'd probably go the Steering Rack bushing route next (since they are fairly cheap and get good reviews by Poqman).

I'll keep the forum posted on my results. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-18-15, 12:50 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Thanks for the detailed info, Bgw!

I've also searched for the Lower Control Arm #2 (Caster Arm) assemblies and haven't found an aftermarket alternative. I did check the MyLParts site and found that I could purchase both right and left Caster Arm assemblies (the Lexus OEM versions) for a total of $253, so that may be a good way to go. From everything I've read, the bushing in the Caster Arms tend to soften up over time, which may be contributing to my harsh front end on bumps. This problem can also contribute to premature tire wear, and since I just replaced my tires, this may be a good time to make sure they don't wear out quickly. Since I'll be having my Indie shop do this work, it may save labor cost to simply replace the Caster arms themselves, vs having the bushings removed and new ones pressed back in.

From all my reading, I'm actually a bit concerned with making the switch to Poly Bushings, especially the Daizen version, which have some people complaining of squeaking if not greased adequately. I prefer a softer, more damped ride, and am not as concerned with laser-sharp steering, and it seems like conventional wisdom has the rubber bushings as more suited to people who prefer "comfort" over sportiness (like me). I've read great things about the Figs Poly bushing sets, but they are VERY pricey...

I'm really not sure that my steering rack bushings need to be replaced, since I don't have any excessive steering wheel play or "wandering" on the highway. I know Poqman recommended swapping them out with the Daizen Poly version...

I may start by replacing the Lower Control Arm #2 assemblies to see what impact that has on my ride. If it still isn't right, I'd probably go the Steering Rack bushing route next (since they are fairly cheap and get good reviews by Poqman).

I'll keep the forum posted on my results. Thanks again for the advice!
you are on the right track.

If you are buying the kit from Daizen you should get everything for around 100$... definitely replace your castor arm or its bushings.. personally I would replace the bushings before buying a whole new set of arms.. because itll be fraction of the cost plus you don't waste your arms.

Daizen bushings were all very good, just the castor arm ones don't have a pivot point so they are quite solid. I mean it did not make a "bad" difference but I just felt everything a little more because I have 20's with very low profile tires plus ride is lowered quite a bit..

For someone not running low height and not running huge wheels.. Daizen castor arm ones should be fine, and they don't wear out. I had slight squeak at the start but I simply bought WD40 Lithium grease and sprayed it in the bushing and no squeak for past 2 years.

If your upper arm and your lower main arm is fine .. leave the bushings on those.. just do the castor, sway and steering.. but while your in there make sure you check your ball joints in the upper arm and lower arm.. I know many mechanics say that it looks solid but hand force is no where near the force the weight of the car puts.. so wiggle those ball joints your self when opened up, and if loose .. replace them same time.. (that includes lower ball joint, upper control arm, sway link, tie rod ends)

for the price, daizen kit is definitely worth it.