SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 04:03 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask

I purchased my 07 with 113k miles for $17k and it was a 9 out of 10 inside and out except for a bunch of little rock chips on the front bumper and hood. To get my hood and bumper repainted was about $2,500 from a very reputable shop and a new clear-bra was another $800. That option didn’t make much sense for me because my SC is a daily driver and I had a clear-bra on my M5 and it still didn’t stop the larger rocks from leaving their mark however it was good for about 90% of what’s out there.

I started a thread on the idea of a plasti-dip mask for the bumper and hood but the idea wasn’t well received by most so I ended up sending the plasti-dip kit back to the manufacturer for a full refund.

I ended up spending about 5 hours with Dr. ColorChip and a 28 gauge syringe filling in all the little chips and the results were beyond my expectations but every other day I’d notice a few new rock chips on my bumper and hood. My front end just seems to be a magnet for little rocks on the freeway…

My original thought on a vinyl nose-mask was no and it was difficult to picture how one would actually look on the car in person because there were not that many examples on the Net of 430 SCs with nose-masks to make a fair assessment.

After seeing a few more new rock-chips on my hood I decided to give the nose-mask another thought and discovered Colgan had a carbon fiber option. How could anything carbon fiber look bad?

So I took the gamble on a $165 carbon fiber nose mask from Colgan and I actually think it looks pretty good in person and not too bad in the pics and now considering carbon fiber mirror masks as well.
Attached Thumbnails Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-1.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-1.1.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-2.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-2.1.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-3.jpg  

Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-4.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-5.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-7.jpg   Colgan Carbon Fiber Nose Mask-mask-8.jpg  

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 11-15-15 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 04:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Not sure if there are more than one type, but I have had a Colgan for about 5 years now. Very well made and easy to put on and take off.
Old 11-15-15, 10:21 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes very well made and a perfect fit. Not sure what they offered 5 years ago but now they offer black and carbon fiber. I was thinking of getting an Lexus OEM mask too if I could find one inexpensive enough on eBay.
Old 11-15-15, 01:44 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

I could not find a Lexus OEM at the time and it is just as well I didn't. I have had two other Lexus OEM front end covers and the Colgan is just as well made. I like the screen in the front. The Lexus does not have that.