SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 08:46 AM
HardTimes
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swapped out the "Spider Web Cracked" navigation unit for a used one.

Original screen. Not sure how these cracks even happened. They seem to be just under the surface.

"New" screen. Still some fingerprint issues when turned off, but when display is on, they are hardly noticeable. Looking to add a screen protector - scanning threads in my spare time.

Found out that Climate Control unit is a real bugger to get out. I broke part of the plastics getting it out to get at the Nav unit - grrr. Had some other "retaining" clips so I think it will be ok, just not as solid as it once was.

After getting the Nav unit replaced, I moved on to trying to figure out my EVAP leak problem. I hooked my care up to my Techstream and went through the active tests. Truth being told, I'm not real sure what I was looking for. I saw pressures changing as TS went on to the next test, but that is all I know. Did not get any huge error messages which I was hoping it would tell me if there was a problem (faulty component/valve). Disconnected - had to use my VSC reset tool.

Miraculously and mysteriously, my error codes did not return. Took it for a spin to try to get my old gas used up, thinking it was just a matter of time before error codes returned - but THEY DID NOT!!! Have driven it a couple of days now with no error lights coming on. It feels strange to drive that car without the VSC/VSC OFF lights lit up on my dash.

Also replaced what I assume is the parking lamp on the outside of the headlight unit (Sylvania 168 bulb). Man what a pain in the rear to get at that tiny bulb!!

Anyway ..... got a few things off my to do list for minor repairs. Need some more time off work to get more done!! Sorry about the large images, first time adding photos. Any secrets to better sizing?

Old 04-23-22, 09:55 AM
HardTimes
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So technically this was yesterday, but finally got around to headlights and Injen

Passenger Headlight before treatment

Driver Headlight before treatment

Passenger Headlight after Treatment

Driver Headlight after treatment

My headlights appeared to have a film on them. I'm wondering if previous owner (I've had the car for about 4 years now) placed one of the protective film covers on the lens, but has started breaking down. I just used Mother's headlight cleaning system that actually used fine sandpaper to scrub the lens. Prior to finally examining the lenses closely, I assumed the lenses were cracked and was looking at replacement lenses. A new set of lenses was going to run the better part of $1200. My car had been in a wreck and not in "pristine" condition so I wasn't about to drop that kind of additional money for a "slight" improvement. While still not perfect, the lenses are a heck of a lot better than what they used to be.

Injen installed - did not trim cover

After rave reviews on this forum about installing the Injen system on the SC430 I had to give it a try. In February of 2021 I bought a new Dodge Challenger seeking something with a little more get-up-and-go. While it had the power, I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I do the SC430. Sadly (and with a significant loss) I sold that car about 7 months later and decided to try to get the SC to a little more enjoyable state. These were two of my latest projects to get this car a little closer.

I just want to throw my opinion out here about the Injen system with a few pros and cons from my perspective:
Pros - Relatively easy to install - took me a little over two hours but my garage is fairly unorganized and I had to search for tools, plus had a modified stock part that needed attention (VSV I'm putting in another post)
- I like the look, gives it a meaner, racier look
- does sound pretty cool
Cons - Ought to trim engine cover - I did not yet because I wanted to test it first
- you REALLY have to step into the gas pedal to get the sound everyone raves about - fun, but sucks the fuel
- I'm not sure if I notice any improvement on performance - I have only driven it a few miles so I'm going to give it some more time
Old 04-23-22, 01:12 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by HardTimes
I just want to throw my opinion out here about the Injen system with a few pros and cons from my perspective:
Thanks for your breakdown on the Ingen intake. I'm glad you are happy with it.

I have considered going this route on several of my vehicles, but haven't for a few reasons. One is, any power gains will be at the cost of less restrictive filtering. I prefer better-filtered air to a few more ponies. Two, the re-usable filter is messy to maintain. I prefer a high-quality, throwaway, paper filter. Three, I like to preserve the original condition of the vehicle, in the remote possibility it becomes collectible some day. I know I can always save my stock parts and put it back to original, but, not if I cut the engine cover.

Side note: I prefer to see the stock (Toyota) hose clamps to the worm-gear hose clamps you used on the two small hoses connected to your Ingen. Either works fine on a metal bibb, I just prefer the ease-of-use and the "more original" look of the spring clamps.
Old 04-25-22, 01:50 AM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I didnt think there were performance improvements with any injen or similar system? I know that they tout it though. Better off with a straight pipe system i think.

From my experience they simply increase engine sound which makes you think wow, but looking out the window tells you that you are in the same car as before.
Old 04-25-22, 10:10 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Studog
I didnt think there were performance improvements with any injen or similar system? I know that they tout it though.
Yes, all aftermarket intake manufacturers claim small HP gains, and some testing I've seen supports this, but, it is not enough to overcome the downside--less-than-optimum, filtered air, flowing through the engine.
Old 04-26-22, 03:36 PM
AceWright
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

In the middle of changing Timing Belt, Water pump, rebuilding PS vane pump, new Alt, intake and Throttle body gaskets, spark plugs, ignition coils and vale cover gaskets. I decided to clean and paint up a few parts before butting back - used 1200 degree engine paint. But I will only do this every 309K miles. so bring on 618K.

The following 4 users liked this post by AceWright:
GmanSC (04-26-22), Harold57 (04-28-22), oneround (04-27-22), stich (06-08-22)
Old 04-26-22, 03:53 PM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

LOL!

Very nice.

It's going to be beautiful when you are done!
The following users liked this post:
AceWright (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 06:36 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

You’re getting there. Your wife will love the SC.
AceWright (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 09:05 PM
Studog
Driver

Wooooooohoa, that looks great. Well done.
AceWright (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 10:08 PM
AceWright
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
You’re getting there. Your wife will love the SC.

Thanks everyone. The painting and cleaning feels very satisfying. Even if no one else sees it I know it is looking good.
Old 05-01-22, 07:12 PM
stich
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing. Mine still practically like new. still playing wth the Nav, and still trying to clean the finger print marks off with no success. Guest I have to install the screen protector.
I see you posted this in 2015. I used Google maps on my Samsung to get me home, but I did turn on the Nav at the same time to compare. Wow, the pixels in that 2002 screen are huge. Plus, of course, the map is twenty years old now. So I put a magnet on the Nav cover and plan to stick my phone on it when I need a map.
Old 05-02-22, 12:25 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by stich
I see you posted this in 2015. I used Google maps on my Samsung to get me home, but I did turn on the Nav at the same time to compare. Wow, the pixels in that 2002 screen are huge. Plus, of course, the map is twenty years old now. So I put a magnet on the Nav cover and plan to stick my phone on it when I need a map.
I have not used the NAV for map since 2016. I just used the compass function.
I use IPhone map and Waze. Don’t stick the magnet on the NAV cover, it looks stacky. Mount the magnet left of the climate control.
stich (06-08-22)
Old 05-02-22, 07:20 PM
Studog
Driver

Im old school. I dont want to go anywhere new, so I just use the original nav.
The following 2 users liked this post by Studog:
Badhobz (05-03-22), JDaveSC430 (05-03-22)
Old 05-03-22, 02:37 AM
stich
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not used the NAV for map since 2016. I just used the compass function.
I use IPhone map and Waze. Don’t stick the magnet on the NAV cover, it looks stacky. Mount the magnet left of the climate control.
It's the best I could figure out for now. This is just a small strip of plastic with three rare earth magnets glued to it. The phone is supported by the dash right underneath, so at the moment it appears solid on even rough roads. Plus, it's a nice height like the old navigator screen.
Old 05-03-22, 08:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My Iphone sits fair and square on the opening of the radio. I use a bluetooth adapter so I can play my music, works good.

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-08-22 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?