SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 01:12 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by fishinmagi
What are you using for the cell phone mount?
Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount Magnetic Car Phone Holder Mount - 360 Degree Adjustable Head, Universal with All Devices - Dashboard Mount
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-07-22, 01:19 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Are you ever worried you may someday want to remove the mount from your dash, and it will mare the finish?

I have another worry that likely won't be an issue for most. I upgraded recently from a small, light iPhone SE to a large, heavy 13 pro. I already have an issue with how heavy it feels in my pocket, so, I worry adding a metal plate to the case will only make it worse. Maybe I should look for a cradle that doesn't require adding weight to the phone. Anyone using a cradle they like?
It’s double sided tape so it’s easy to remove. There “s always goo off. The metal plate came with the product is feather weigh.
Old 05-08-22, 04:22 AM
ruben58
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happy t

GOT IT CLEAN

GOT THE RADIO
The following 3 users liked this post by ruben58:
mandyfig (06-08-22), nzxyxy (10-06-23), WIL44 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 10:38 AM
biovince99
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 SC 430 my second one

Just picked up a 2002 Silver SC 430 on the island of Maui. Sent my first one, purchased in Hilo, to the mainland a couple months ago and sold it there. Listed it for $12,500 and got 6 calls in the first hour. Sold it for $11,500 to guy who let me drive it the whole time I was there. Saved me from renting a car. Paid $6k for that car, but had $9k in her landed in San Diego. Was able to give my 2 grandsons some spending cash with the profit.

Maui car has 103K miles and the PO was hot-rodding her. Timing belt had never been changed. Long story short, drivers side all 4 cylinders zero compression. Passenger side all 160-180 psi.

Had a used engine shipped from the mainland, and am waiting to visit a shop that quoted R&R of the engines for $1,500 plus the old engine. Replacing all the timing components plus water pump and radiator on the replacement engine. Any thoughts on maybe repairing the old engine. I talked to a couple shops and was quoted $1K for just the machine work. I purchased a replacement engine for $930 delivered to Kona. Picked it up last week. It is now sitting in my garage with the car. Still debating on doing the replacement my self with help of a friend. Being 73 years old, not as limber as I once was. Looks like a big job.

Paid $2,000 for the car on Maui and paid $1,150 to have it shipped to the big island. Would have been $650 if it ran, but it didn't. Car is in very decent condition. Some clear coat peeling on the hood, and a couple minor dings, but overall a nice car. New tires to boot! The top works perfect.

Would anyone know how difficult it is to replace valves on a SC 430 head, or would I be better off buying a used head? Can get a good condition used head for $400-$500. Was thinking of buying a used head and just pulling the valves out of it. Will know more once engine is out and apart.

Thanks and Aloha,

Vince from Volcano

Last edited by biovince99; 05-08-22 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adding photo
Old 05-25-22, 12:04 AM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

So today was overcast, not raining for the first time in days ( we have been getting unusual rain for months now -HAARP I believe) so I could open the garage doors without getting the bum of the SC wet ( noone likes a wet bum) and luxuriate the leather on the SC with leather-stuff, buff the already buffed wood finish with buff-stuff, polish the rims with rim-stuff, clean the windows with window-stuff and admire her lines next to the IS250 X that got the same treatment.

End result? No change for the vehicles but I am happier. haha!

I really have to source some OEM floor mats in black, fix the speakers or put in new ones, and find the latest disk to update the nav. And, i need to fix the radio and nav doors. To that end i purchased the removal tools today so in a couple of weeks i will have all those things repaired I am guessing. Unfortunately, there are endless waves at the moment which cannot be ignored. A few hours of paddling around out there with the young blokes results in a re-hydration session at the pub that saps the motivation to complete other tasks when i return home!
Old 06-05-22, 08:05 AM
stich
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replaced many vacuum lines

I got some vacuum tubing from O'Reiley's and replaced four lines on the engine, including the one that fell off on Friday and alerted me to the urgency to replace them all. The green ones got replaced, as they were easy to access and nothing else needed to be removed nor did getting under the car need to happen.

So, I need to get more hose and remove the air handler parts that obstruct the other long hoses on the right side of the engine facing forward. 17342 and 17343 The short hoses underneath the engine will require a flat garage and the wheel ramps. :-P
The following users liked this post:
fishinmagi (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 08:10 AM
fishinmagi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stich
I got some vacuum tubing from O'Reiley's and replaced four lines on the engine, including the one that fell off on Friday and alerted me to the urgency to replace them all. The green ones got replaced, as they were easy to access and nothing else needed to be removed nor did getting under the car need to happen.

So, I need to get more hose and remove the air handler parts that obstruct the other long hoses on the right side of the engine facing forward. 17342 and 17343 The short hoses underneath the engine will require a flat garage and the wheel ramps. :-P
Did you have any symptoms? Or just replaced because on fell off?
Old 06-05-22, 10:05 AM
stich
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fishinmagi
Did you have any symptoms? Or just replaced because on fell off?
I had an engine light with the OP440 code for the EVAP system pressure change detected. When I looked at the vacuum hoses, the one with the green test port (part 77739 in diagram) had come off. I replaced that section, then disconnected my battery to reset the computer and the light went away and has not come back for several days now.
Old 06-07-22, 09:37 PM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

So, today I gave her another polish ( yeah - just for a change ) contemplated repairing the speakers and fixing the radio and nav door, but managed to put those chores off until next week after consuming a couple of single malts with my neighbour, and then took her down to fill up because i believe rationing could eventuate soon ( the last couple of days some of the independent petrol stations here have been out of diesel and petrol - independent truckers are parking their trucks in droves ). The gauge was on the half full side of between half and quarter. Filling up was $96!!!!!

I then ran some additive through the tank to keep the system clean.

I know. Its worth it.
Old 06-08-22, 05:00 AM
Mike205
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After scouring the internet for a good while, I was finally able to find a new set of Lexus G Spider rims, and they should arrive in about a week. While my car looks good right now, the G Spiders will make it look a bit more aggressive.
Old 06-08-22, 06:16 AM
ruben58
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone recommend a small rubber compatible Antenna for the sc430
with a link ,
thanks
Old 06-08-22, 06:22 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Start here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...na-option.html

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ruben58 (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 05:11 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike205
After scouring the internet for a good while, I was finally able to find a new set of Lexus G Spider rims, and they should arrive in about a week. While my car looks good right now, the G Spiders will make it look a bit more aggressive.
My 2008 SC430 had chrome G-Spiders as an option since new. The look was great, but I wouldn't call it "aggressive;" in fact, the opposite. My SC looked classy and more elegant than those with stock wheels, but, I wanted a more aggressive look. So, I swapped them out for Enkei RPF1's, and it now looks way more racey!
Old 06-09-22, 05:29 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Here are my rims

Spoiler

Old 06-09-22, 06:06 PM
Mike205
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
My 2008 SC430 had chrome G-Spiders as an option since new. The look was great, but I wouldn't call it "aggressive;" in fact, the opposite. My SC looked classy and more elegant than those with stock wheels, but, I wanted a more aggressive look. So, I swapped them out for Enkei RPF1's, and it now looks way more racey!
Disagree, but different strokes for different folks…. I did consider some Enkei rims, but I preferred to stay with Lexus rims.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?