SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 04:46 PM
wlg
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work.
Old 04-29-23, 04:38 PM
G242
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I really thought I was done...

Took the car out on a beautiful spring day. Hit the AC button and Voila! No AC. Instead of a recharge, I learned about air compressors, metal shards and condenser replacement.
So my bank was more than happy to fix this for me, but am curious and asking long time owners and experts - are there any other surprises I should keep an eye out for on a 2003, that I might take care of in advance? Or maybe there is already a thread for this. Thanks much everyone.

The following 3 users liked this post by G242:
E46CT (06-06-23), nzxyxy (10-06-23), Robbinski (04-29-23)
Old 04-29-23, 05:28 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Mounted summer wheels, changed oil/filter, flushed brake fluid.

Thank heavens for my motorcycle lift. It precisely positions wheel during mounting. No more struggling to lift tire into exact position.
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Mike205 (04-30-23)
Old 04-29-23, 05:49 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Thank heavens for my motorcycle lift. It precisely positions wheel during mounting. No more struggling to lift tire into exact position.
When I was working, I didn't have time to work out and keep in shape, and yes, lifting wheels/tires onto the hub was a *****. However, now that I'm retired and exercising almost every day, it's cake. I hope I can keep going strong into my 70's and 80's. By 90, I'm sure I won't mind paying someone else to do this for me. But, I will miss doing it myself, and thus, ensuring it is done right. Maybe I'll get a motorcycle lift too! Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-30-23, 06:30 PM
bubblebutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beatrice is back home…audio-ectomy

All closed up. Do you see the switches? O you don’t, is your mind racing?

Apple play

Front camera

Now you see them, 2 toggle ant and front camera, black button turns on car play
What I did to my 2002 SC 430 today…
I just brought Beatrice home from having an audio-ectomy. A little back story, there Background, there always seems to be one.
- purchased 3 months ago
- 2002, first delivery 4 April 2001
- 52,000 mi
- $16,686 + you know what
- Millennium Silver, camel interior and that beautiful wood trim
- car looks and drives as just out of showroom
Keep in mind the following: all original Mike Lev audio is as new
- new antenna and motor, now controlled by me
- replaced 6 x 9 door speakers with ML. Don’t ask how I got them, from a man who knew a man whose mother was left handed. Old speakers in door were 5 x 4 , go figure
- all speakers separately balanced from the ML amplifier for max sound enjoyment
- apple car play, turned on by me
- phone speaker at top of left pillar, I must say this the best car phone system I have ever had
- new cd changer
- front camera controlled by me, rear camera automatic on in reverse and show on original screen
As you will see in the pictures below, it looks all original
ALL the steering wheel controls work as new
Took 6 days and a team of 2

She seems happy and has promised me a surprise after going out tonight!
I want to thank everyone who has posted about audio in this group. I could not have known what to ask for this endeavor.
Bea is going in for outpatient surgery May 24, earliest I could get in with my mechanic,
timing belt etc. I figure it has never been done. I have the maintenance records for the last 21 services. I am 2nd owner, 1st owner lived in two places. I have called the two dealers, that are on Car-fax to see if they can run the vin. Has anyone ever tried it, they probably were not real computer savvy back then?
Let me know what you think of my switch placement.

The following 3 users liked this post by bubblebutt:
bmanone (05-01-23), sprcarrera (06-21-23), SuxelSC430 (05-20-23)
Old 05-09-23, 06:09 PM
JerseyMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Urban Renewal of Rear Suspension

Replaced the struts, control arms, trailing arms, etc... Went with factory struts from LPN and remaining parts are Mevotech from RockAuto. I did go with Figs Engineering for the upper control arms. Discovered that I need to replace the bushings in the axle carriers (knuckle) so I ordered new poly bushings from PSB.

Last edited by JerseyMike; 05-09-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-12-23, 07:34 AM
rouge
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemisphere
2007 SC 430, 73K miles...

Just now starting to sort out some modifications after two years of enjoying the basic car.

In all candor some of the most recent work documented here I was forced into when last March an absent minded driver bumped into the front of my car while in a parking garage. For now I've wrapped some of the front grill trim and painted the stock grill gloss black. I was hoping that the simpler pre-2006 grill would fit as I prefer the cleaner lines when the Lexus logo is pulled off. My 2004 SC is like that.

I'm still researching a body shop to make a new bumper grill that grafts the newer spindle grill onto the SC cover. To date most body shops and customizers have declined to participate so if anyone comes across a possible vendor please let me know. If I do find someone I'll report back.

I just added staggered 20" wheels and in all honesty I'm unhappy with the ride quality over the stock 18" setup. Feels too much like the flat runs on my 2004. Perhaps I'll get used to it but if not I'll explore different tires with higher sidewalls. Question - would different shocks help smooth out the ride?

Both my 2004 and 2007 SCs have the Injen air intake system. Considering the Magnaflow exhaust system if only for the sound benefit. Car also needs a new receiver with Apple CarPlay, Sirius XM and rear back up camera, maybe one of those electronic throttle boxes.

That's more or less it, for now...

The rear headrest and your own unique wind deflector board are very cool👍
The following 2 users liked this post by rouge:
Foggertx (04-02-24), Seattle SCone (05-22-23)
Old 05-22-23, 03:15 PM
JerseyMike
Driver School Candidate

Installed rear axle carrier bushings from PSB Solutions, 4-wheel alignment and compete brake
system flush.
Suspension and brake systems are complete.
Next area of focus is replacing the power steering hoses, reservoir and system flush.
Old 05-26-23, 04:15 PM
JerseyMike
Driver School Candidate

Replaced all of the engine vacuum hoses and clamps with new factory materials from MegaZip. Had to use a Saw-Zall blade (by hand) to cut / relieve the hoses. Can believe how bad they were, glad I did it.
Power steering hoses are next - maybe this weekend.
Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday.
Seattle SCone (05-27-23)
Old 05-27-23, 11:38 AM
tony9
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default elbow grese

just a good old fashion detail for summer

The following 6 users liked this post by tony9:
Autoplak (06-13-23), Badhobz (06-13-23), JDaveSC430 (06-05-23), NachoNYC (09-10-23), Robbinski (07-28-23), texsexlex (06-22-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-23, 04:52 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Bought a whole bunch of goodies to replace the bits and bobs that have been irritating me:
  1. New shifter cover from Megazip to replace the one I scratched up when I installed the BlueTooth adapter
  2. New climate control screen cover to replace the one that's cracked.
  3. New door handle cover to replace the one that the stupid carwash removed.
  4. New leather top for the climate control that the hamfisted techs at Pohanka Lexis scratched/broke when they installed the Sirius radio adapter so many years ago.
  5. A replacement clip to replace the one that the same tech's lost to hold the panel under the glove box in place. Goobers....
The shifter cover will take the longest to come in. I'll wait until I have everything and install them all at once.

Just a note. My car is an '07. While perusing the parts and stuff at Discount Parts Monster, an awful lot of interior stuff was listed as no longer available. Such as the shifter cover. Luckily Megazip still has them, but I see this as a harbinger of things to come. Less and less parts availability.

The newest of these cars is 13 years old and manufacturers are only required to supply parts for ten years. So unless a part is used on other cars, I suspect the existing inventory is all there is going to be.

So, if you are waiting around to get something, like I was, you might want to check to see if the parts are still available.

cheers,

Last edited by doobs; 06-05-23 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Dain bramage
Old 06-13-23, 05:32 AM
doobs
Advanced

Originally Posted by doobs
Bought a whole bunch of goodies to replace the bits and bobs that have been irritating me:
  1. New shifter cover from Megazip to replace the one I scratched up when I installed the BlueTooth adapter
  2. New climate control screen cover to replace the one that's cracked.
  3. New door handle cover to replace the one that the stupid carwash removed.
  4. New leather top for the climate control that the hamfisted techs at Pohanka Lexis scratched/broke when they installed the Sirius radio adapter so many years ago.
  5. A replacement clip to replace the one that the same tech's lost to hold the panel under the glove box in place. Goobers....
The shifter cover will take the longest to come in. I'll wait until I have everything and install them all at once.

Just a note. My car is an '07. While perusing the parts and stuff at Discount Parts Monster, an awful lot of interior stuff was listed as no longer available. Such as the shifter cover. Luckily Megazip still has them, but I see this as a harbinger of things to come. Less and less parts availability.

The newest of these cars is 13 years old and manufacturers are only required to supply parts for ten years. So unless a part is used on other cars, I suspect the existing inventory is all there is going to be.

So, if you are waiting around to get something, like I was, you might want to check to see if the parts are still available.

cheers,
Arg.
I got a message from Megazip today that the shifter cover is no longer available.

Everything else is on it's way...

sigh
Old 06-13-23, 09:09 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 619 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by tony9
just a good old fashion detail for summer

god I really miss my millennium silver sc430

that’s a gorgeous detail job
nzxyxy (10-06-23)
Old 06-19-23, 11:14 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

After 15 years of ownership and 80K miles I have driven the SC, I finally got a rear view cam installed today. Kudos to SC430mods - they worked with my installer to send out a new harness when the first one they sold me failed - seamless to me and no cost. Just an extra 3 or 4 days of waiting. Pleased with how this turned out.

Old 06-20-23, 07:33 AM
doobs
Advanced

Originally Posted by doobs
Arg.
I got a message from Megazip today that the shifter cover is no longer available.

Everything else is on it's way...

sigh
So I was able to get the shifter cover from Lexus Parts Outlet for about $100 more than Megazip....

I got all the other stuff installed this morning.

Yay!

Passenger door handle before:

Passenger door handle after:

AC Panel before:

After:

Shifter Cover before:

Shifter Cover after:

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?