SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 01:41 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...loving both of your cars !!!!....did most of my honey do's this summer...lol...so hoping to add an Ls to my garage by next summer
Let me know. I may be interested in selling the LS.
Old 10-02-16, 12:16 PM
Skee07
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Used jack stands... Wish I has acces to a lift

Replaced steering rack bushings this morning. It took me about 2hrs. Old bushings were soft and mushy

Last edited by Skee07; 10-02-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 05:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Let me know. I may be interested in selling the LS.
....will definitely keep that in mind
Old 10-03-16, 07:34 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

First oil change after buying the car last weekend. I tried to change the rear differential fluid, but the plug was really tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster and will try again tomorrow. I didnt want to force it and break something...

I took a short drive with my son with the top down to take the dirty oil to local auto store. We love this convertible! But we also find out that something in the front is making creaking/groaning noise, and pretty loud clunk when I hit a bump on the road. Even my 5 year old notice the weird sound. He was like what was that noise? I need to figure these out quickly, no Lexus should make this noise haha....
Old 10-03-16, 09:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
First oil change after buying the car last weekend. I tried to change the rear differential fluid, but the plug was really tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster and will try again tomorrow. I didnt want to force it and break something...

I took a short drive with my son with the top down to take the dirty oil to local auto store. We love this convertible! But we also find out that something in the front is making creaking/groaning noise, and pretty loud clunk when I hit a bump on the road. Even my 5 year old notice the weird sound. He was like what was that noise? I need to figure these out quickly, no Lexus should make this noise haha....
My money's on the brake caliper springs/shims. Many mechanics (and DIYers like myself) don't put them back properly after brake service. Mine bothered me for about a year until I found out that they were installed incorrectly. Clunked on every bump, too. Like a metal on metal sound. Took it to four shops and no one could identify the sound. Finally took it to Lexus, and mechanic checked the entire suspension and brake systems and found them to be installed incorrectly. No clunks from my car now.
Old 10-04-16, 07:03 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
My money's on the brake caliper springs/shims. Many mechanics (and DIYers like myself) don't put them back properly after brake service. Mine bothered me for about a year until I found out that they were installed incorrectly. Clunked on every bump, too. Like a metal on metal sound. Took it to four shops and no one could identify the sound. Finally took it to Lexus, and mechanic checked the entire suspension and brake systems and found them to be installed incorrectly. No clunks from my car now.
Thank you for the tip @ShawnOk. I pulled and pushed a few things last night, did not see anything that is obviously loose. The driver side shock is making low groaning noise when I pushed the front of the car up and down, but not the clunk metal to metal noise. I will check the brakes asap.

I stopped by local Lexus dealer today after finally getting my car registered to me. Yay!!! Nice facility, friendly folks - this is our first Lexus so I never been there before. I am one of the lucky guy who has his SC's airbag is included in the Takata recall. I have an appointment with them next week to have that taken care of.
Old 10-04-16, 05:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Do you know what they will do for you?
have you seen the airbag recall thread with all of the info and directions from Lexus?
dont miss out!

Originally Posted by BCT
Thank you for the tip @ShawnOk. I pulled and pushed a few things last night, did not see anything that is obviously loose. The driver side shock is making low groaning noise when I pushed the front of the car up and down, but not the clunk metal to metal noise. I will check the brakes asap.

I stopped by local Lexus dealer today after finally getting my car registered to me. Yay!!! Nice facility, friendly folks - this is our first Lexus so I never been there before. I am one of the lucky guy who has his SC's airbag is included in the Takata recall. I have an appointment with them next week to have that taken care of.

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-10-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 03:47 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Finally got around to replacing the rear struts. What a PITA! A lot of disassembly but well worth the effort. The car feels much better going over the roads' imperfections, more control and less bounce. Originals were still on the car at 120,000 miles. Stayed with the factory replacement units. Amazon, $267 for the pair, delivered.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-dsc01203.jpg  
Old 10-06-16, 04:16 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Finally got around to replacing the rear struts. What a PITA! A lot of disassembly but well worth the effort. The car feels much better going over the roads' imperfections, more control and less bounce. Originals were still on the car at 120,000 miles. Stayed with the factory replacement units. Amazon, $267 for the pair, delivered.
awsome, new dampers always feel so much better.
Old 10-09-16, 03:07 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks, Coleroad! Got to spend quite a bit of "quality time" with the SC430 this week.
The weather continued to behave so I did the front struts on Friday with a quick trip to the dealer for a alignment on Saturday. Went with the KYB Excel-GR2's on the front. While I was in there I replaced the upper control arm / ball joint with Moog units and got rid of the metal clanking sound when going over rough roads by replacing the strut mounts. Totally different ( and much improved ) over the very worn original parts.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-dsc01206.jpg  

Last edited by FlopTop04; 10-09-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 05:06 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

First I really want to thank the forum members here for having a precious commodity.

Information.

new owner of an 2008 pebble beach sc430.

3/4 of the way through my mods and updates list.

car was equipped with Pirelli p1 centurados in new condition.

everything else stock. 18k miles.

bought clear floor mats to go over the light mats.

yesterday replaced the tires with new Michelin pilot super sports.

wow. Different drive.

today had a local shop remove the stock radio and install a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX.

Not the frugal way to do this. Plus the Apple interface.

bypassed the parking brake(not hooked up is what I understand.) lockout.

two USB plugs were put in the glove box. One runs the Apple car system the other just charges.

bought the $20 auto equalizer mic from pioneer.

with a bunch of button pushing as the manufacturer does not want to make it easy to watch dvd's while moving you can watch them moving. A few more screen steps allows both the top and bottom screens to play a DVD or a SD media chip inserted into the unit.

turning off the ignition and restarting the car has the non movement warning screen come on the lower unit but the controls work as does the remote and the DVD resumes playing on the nav screen.

hitting the mode button on the steering wheel toggles the nav screen between the DVD and the OEM nav screen.

kool.

Sounded pretty good on the way home playing a very old recorded stones DVD. About like the factory radio.

ok. Setup the auto equalizer mic and let it auto set the units sound.

put in a Dave Matthews cd I had sitting there and turned up the sound.

oh my. Way different sound through the stock system.

still to come is another box to allow videos on an iPhone to play on the systems lower screen.

last thing is to find the steps needed on a gen four 08 nav system to bypass the I agree screen.

the Apple play works great. Siri works perfectly.

if no Internet the stock nav unit is still functional.

last part coming is a blitz throttle dead spot eliminator.

Found the car had two slightly wobbly front rims from running into square edges.

my alignment shop says they can dismount the new tires and send the rims to the local powdercoater and they can straighten them normally.

the pioneer is the bomb.

state of the art 2008 car. Gotta lov new technology

also have the sway bar replacement bushings coming.

putting them in a redoing the alignment at the same time.

Last edited by Caflashbob; 10-12-16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 01:18 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good upgrades......Question on your Pioneer and still using stock Navigation, Did you use the BeatSONIC MVA 13L?
I too upgraded to a Pioneer AVP5800 but did not use Beatsonic, stock Nav does not work nor door/tilt........Thx
Old 10-13-16, 07:55 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tngo23
All good upgrades......Question on your Pioneer and still using stock Navigation, Did you use the BeatSONIC MVA 13L?
I too upgraded to a Pioneer AVP5800 but did not use Beatsonic, stock Nav does not work nor door/tilt........Thx

do not know what they used but both units tilt and the stock 08 nav works and both doors close.

will ask
Old 10-13-16, 03:34 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Purchased a brand new 2017 CT200h to replace the aging 2004 SC430. In the last few months I attempted to upgrade all the sound components of the SC430 but in the end, we just wanted a new car with lower miles.

If anyone is interested I have a few items for sale that was all purchased new in March of this year:
- Beatsonic MVA-12L Harness, complete
- Metra 99-8161S Dash Kit (Brand new
, never used)
- Pioneer AVIC 5100NEX - Apple CarPlay capable

It's essentially all plug and play since I pulled it out all together. If anyone in the bay area is interested, that would be preferred so no shipping is required.
Old 10-25-16, 03:38 PM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just got these puppies in.
will be installed soon.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-20161025_120328.jpeg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?