SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 09:28 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Looks good Shawn.

Glad the damage was limited tex. I hope the new module and wiring will do the trick. I'd offer to help but I've never worked on this before, so I might would be more of a distraction than a help.
.....lol....appreciate the offer Harold, but it seems that I'm going to have to wait anyway. I went online Tuesday to order another module & no one has it in stock, every site that I checked said that it was on backorder. Since I have to wait, I'm going to see if the company I purchased it from will exchange it, for a new one.......but now I'm bout to go outside & wire everything back to factory, clean her up & enjoy some of these 75 degree days, we've been having
Old 12-14-17, 08:31 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey everyone, recently took our honeymoon to the Caribbean and finally getting time to catch up on my "To-Do" list. I already posted my new rims a few posts ago but meant to just post a little update. Rolled 5's on the odo just before I left. Pretty good for a 2002. :-)
Old 12-14-17, 08:39 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey everyone, recently took our honeymoon to the Caribbean and finally getting time to catch up on my "To-Do" list. I already posted my new rims a few posts ago but meant to just post a little update. Rolled 5's on the odo just before I left. Pretty good for a 2002. :-)
Shawn, Nice! Your steering wheel is very interesting to me. Did you have the original reworked with the leather, or implant a new wheel from a different Lexus model? Do you prefer the leather to the original wood wheel?
Old 12-14-17, 09:18 AM
Thomaspin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the curb rash removed from two wheels on my 'new' 2007. The repairer comes to your home, which is convenient:

The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 12-15-17, 05:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Very nice Shawn. Mine is just a bit over double that sadly.
Old 03-07-18, 08:32 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by riknchar
Shawn, Nice! Your steering wheel is very interesting to me. Did you have the original reworked with the leather, or implant a new wheel from a different Lexus model? Do you prefer the leather to the original wood wheel?
Sorry, I just noticed this post. I really love the new steering wheel. The wheel was a custom hand-built steering wheel over an OEM SC430 wheel. I really like to more than the original and gets lots of compliments on it esp from Lexus Service techs when I stop by the dealership. Read more here... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l-upgrade.html

Also I got tired of digging for my sunglasses in the center stack or side door pockets, so I made these this weekend .just a little leftover elastic from Halloween and a few simple stitches.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-07-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 05:52 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

Not exactly what I did to my SC43 recently but I bought a set of 09 shop manuals for the car figuring the small differences should make most, if not al, l of the manuals apply.

I almist wish I had not done this, this car is one of the most complicated, precision made and speced mechanical devices I have every owned. Compares to aerospace products. Fiendishly complicated. Astounding piece of engineering design and assembly. The shop manual must have taken a large group of engineers many months to do. Thousands of drawings. Beyond belief in some ways.

i worked in the aerospace industry as a youth and the car and the connected literature are easily that grade.

someone mentioned a while ago that the Chinese had hacked LM the F35 builder and downloaded the manuals for the plane. We probably allowed it. Just to show your enemy your weapons capability that they cannot build at all. Rumored to be 35,000 pages. Almost the same thing here.

6” thick set of thin pages in the three manuals and a separate electrical manual with complete fault trees for every component and system in the car.

Whats impressive is with the most complicated machine I have ever looked closely at prersinslly that the build quality in Japan has proven these to have rock solid reliability. Seriously aerospace grade machine or better.

local Lexus dealer service manager said, unlike most brands that 80% or more of their shop work is maintenance items.

More impressed now with the car than before I got the manuals.

No wonder a new 500 is $100k built this way and supported this way. And cheap at that price//value IMO

Old 07-14-18, 06:45 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Done last weekend but worth the post I guess. Repainted my rotor hubs. Makes my rims stand out better than some flaked hubs, which we originally black also.
Old 07-14-18, 04:03 PM
texsexlex
Racer

I'm actually putting the front bumper back on.......I had been dealing with an issue with a bad HID bulb in my foglight setup, but had a problem matching up bulb, so bought a complete new system from XenonDepot. Also planning to put my front sway bar on also, it's only been sitting in the garage for about a year now...lol
Old 07-15-18, 08:15 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Let us know how the sway bar turns out tex.
Old 07-15-18, 09:20 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
Let us know how the sway bar turns out tex.
....will do......I thought I could get it on, but was unable to get a bolt loose, on the link connectors, so I'll take it by my buddies shop & get it done this week. I did get the new HID setup in, it gave me a few moments of frustration, but hopefully I'll be happy with it
Old 07-18-18, 02:54 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts
Default CTEK Battery Charger External Jack

After 200,000 miles, she's going strong and got a new treat after detailing.... added an external CTEK jack. No more opening the hood to connect a battery maintainer. My other "fun" cars have CTEK's connected full time. It was so inconvenient on my daily driver SC430, that she only got to sip champaign on long weekends. Now, it's easy peasy to connect upon arrival. Having the jack right in front of the driver door also reminds me to disconnect before driving off. Basically sheathed a CTEK extension cable and routed it in the engine compartment. The "jack" end was brought out under the hood's rear edge on the driver side. Two little holes and some zip ties easily secure the jack. The rubber stopper was taken from the CTEK battery comfort connector's jack. A bit of silicone grease further ensures water tightness and lubricate the jack.

CTEK's mounted and connect to SC430's new external jack

CTEK Jack on SC430

This pict is from another of my cars, but shows how the extension's jack sits under/behind the hood.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 07-18-18, 04:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
After 200,000 miles, she's going strong and got a new treat after detailing.... added an external CTEK jack. No more opening the hood to connect a battery maintainer. My other "fun" cars have CTEK's connected full time. It was so inconvenient on my daily driver SC430, that she only got to sip champaign on long weekends. Now, it's easy peasy to connect upon arrival. Having the jack right in front of the driver door also reminds me to disconnect before driving off. Basically sheathed a CTEK extension cable and routed it in the engine compartment. The "jack" end was brought out under the hood's rear edge on the driver side. Two little holes and some zip ties easily secure the jack. The rubber stopper was taken from the CTEK battery comfort connector's jack. A bit of silicone grease further ensures water tightness and lubricate the jack.

CTEK's mounted and connect to SC430's new external jack

CTEK Jack on SC430

This pict is from another of my cars, but shows how the extension's jack sits under/behind the hood.
I like the installation, very clean.
One safety question, what is the max draw from the CTEK, I am only asking because of your extension cord. It looks rather thin...again, not knocking your setup, just asking for your safety...things get hot and can start fires.
Old 07-18-18, 07:32 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Tne CTEK connector at the batter has an inline 15 amp fuse within inches of the positive terminal
Even if my wires, split loom sheathing, and ape wrap were to all fail, I'd jsut get a blown fuse in the CTEK connector.

The extension's wire gauge is as supplied by CTEK for their battery maintainer.

I'm basically using CTEK engineered wiring + more protection to allow it to be routed about the engine compartment.I routed everything well clear of things that get hot.
Old 07-19-18, 09:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Very clever and neat idea. I am picking up my battery maintainer today, let's see if I can implement the same set up.

I have 2 cars that are not daily drivers, so I have to top off the battery every now and then. It is quite a job to raise the hood and clamp the terminals and of course after the charging you will have to disconnect, etc..

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?