SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 03:13 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
I had my windows tinted and a full exterior detail/paint correction last week, which removed the majority of the surface imperfections (swirls/spiderwebbing) from the past owner and average care. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, esp. for a sixteen-year-old+ paint job. Since the pictures were taken, the two side badges on the trunk have been removed (which were just Plastidipped the weekend before).

Pics below are before/after from the same viewpoints...

^^ BEFORE

^^ AFTER

^^ BEFORE

^^ AFTER

^^ BEFORE

^^ AFTER

^^ BEFORE

^^ AFTER
Looks absolutely incredible after the paint correction and tinted windows!! Paint looks like water.
The following 2 users liked this post by daSC4:
mak99 (08-02-18), TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 08-02-18, 12:09 PM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on getting the paint detailed on these cars. Can really make them look new.
Old 08-02-18, 03:19 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
I had my windows tinted and a full exterior detail/paint correction last week, which removed the majority of the surface imperfections (swirls/spiderwebbing) from the past owner and average care. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, esp. for a sixteen-year-old+ paint job. Since the pictures were taken, the two side badges on the trunk have been removed (which were just Plastidipped the weekend before).

Pics below are before/after from the same viewpoints...
What is 'paint correction'? how is it done? and cost?
Old 08-02-18, 10:08 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by daSC4
Looks absolutely incredible after the paint correction and tinted windows!! Paint looks like water.
Thanks! This was the first time I've ever paid a professional to do a full detail for as long as I've been driving. I always thought I did a dang good job on my own (pats self on back ) but now know what the next level is like. This is something I'll have done maybe once or twice a year to keep it in top shape, along with doing proper washing techniques myself.

Originally Posted by Prasha
The link below is a good example of what paint correction is (lots of others sites out there, no specific reason I chose this one):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer.../#6e5ea48d6b8a

This "paint correction" term was new to me when I did my research on how to properly care for car exteriors. I had recently bought an inexpensive DA random orbital polisher, read some articles and watched quite a few Youtube videos on detailing techniques, bought some various products, and tried to do this myself to the SC. Some areas came out good, others not so good - and probably less than half of the car saw the orbital as I did do quite a bit by hand. So a few days later I went to the detail shop* to show them my results and asked if they could make significant improvements to what I had accomplished. As you can see from the pictures they did a great job.

The cost for the full exterior was reasonable at $250 (hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by discussing), which is listed on their printed materials. Larger vehicles cost a bit more, and they have other levels of detail services available should a car require even more attention.

I hope this helps!

* The shop where I took the SC (south Seattle) was the same local company that did my 3M protection and window tinting on my '06 RX400h (Bellevue) - they have a few locations in the area. The RX still looks great to this day which is why I chose to give them my business once again.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 08-04-18, 05:39 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
Nice link above on paint correction.

Best to start with calling local auto detail places and ask about exterior detailing. Ask what they do. You want to hear them say they use a series of buffers and at the end put on a polymer protectant as a final treatment.

And have them do the headlights at the same time.

Test of the paint condition and contaminants embedded is after washing the car put your hand inside a zip lock or similar bag and feel the paint surface. After years the paint will feel rough due to wear and exposure to elements. After detailing that takes all that down and it feels smooth.

Cost probably $150 to $300
Old 08-05-18, 02:53 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

.....just picked mine up from the shop.......I had all the front suspension bushings switch over to polyurethane & had the larger Aristo front sway bar installed. The handling is incredibly better & steering a lot tighter, but it was way overdue to have them replaced, so anything probably would have felt better....lol
Old 08-06-18, 11:56 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Guys, got the SC window tinted and had my rear tail lights replaced with LED lights. Get them done gang, your SC will thank you. The SC look awesome with these slight changes
Old 08-28-18, 10:47 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Getting a tint done today, as we speak. 35% all around, didn't want a limo tint. Just enough to block those nasty-*** UV's. Pics soon.
Old 08-28-18, 11:41 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If I may ask: who are you using and what do they charge to do an SC (we want to do the same as you)?

Thanks
Rich
Old 08-29-18, 05:35 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RichardMor
If I may ask: who are you using and what do they charge to do an SC (we want to do the same as you)?

Thanks
Rich
I had it done at the Lexus dealership, they charge $350 for this product: http://www.xpel.com/prime-xr/ (Of course that's CDN, so that's about $2.75 USD )
Old 08-29-18, 11:11 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Had a mini meet of the Lexus World club in the UK at the weekend and eight turned up.
That is 0.4% of all the SC's sold in the UK, great couple of hours.
Never seen more than three at the same time.

The Lexus at the far end is an ISF.

TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 08-29-18, 04:32 PM
maarp
Pole Position

It appears that 0.2% of all the SC's sold in the UK were blue!

Nice gathering. Since I drove mine home in May, the only other one I've seen was at the Canadian border crossing.
TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 08-30-18, 10:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Very nice Steve. Where in the UK was it?
Old 08-30-18, 10:46 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by maarp
It appears that 0.2% of all the SC's sold in the UK were blue!

Nice gathering. Since I drove mine home in May, the only other one I've seen was at the Canadian border crossing.
Certainly appears that way maarp, in fact there were four blue, two purple, one grey and one silver.
Red is very rare in the UK and I dont think they offered white.
Old 08-30-18, 10:48 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
Very nice Steve. Where in the UK was it?
Thanks Harold.
A Shopping Centre (sorry Mall) called Bluewater in Essex.
By the way the tyre marks were not ours.......

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?