SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 02:42 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

wow. like a mirror
Old 04-30-19, 02:57 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Midnight Pine, such a rich pearl, looks spectacular!
Old 04-30-19, 03:52 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

maarp

That came out looking great. Nice Job

Dennis
Old 04-30-19, 06:08 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks beautiful! May I ask what brand of clay you used? I have always had it done but enjoy doing this type of thing when I have the time. Have to admit, I didn't know you were supposed to wax after claying!
Old 04-30-19, 06:22 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Not an endorsement of their product but a good explanation of the benefits and various clay bars:

The following 2 users liked this post by VVTiBob:
DougT59 (05-27-19), JTho (05-04-19)
Old 04-30-19, 06:52 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thumbs up for Stoptech

Originally Posted by okievision
LOL @ BOSS
Congratulations on your new car, we've only had ours for a year.
If this is your daily driver, you might consider the caliper covers since there's considerably more time involved with painting them.
Ours is kinda a weekender so having it on stands for a week wasn't an issue.
Whatever you decide, I shop mostly through RockAuto.com
Stop Tech brake pads, rotors, new hoses, etc about $300
Toss in brake cleaner cans, couple large bottles of Dot 3, POV 15 paint, Ebay decals, $50 more so under $400 total.
I grew up enjoying wrenching around on cars so I didn't have labor expense except my own.
Enjoy the ride
Have Stop Techs in my G500 and just put them in my wife's 2014 GLK front. So much better than the stock brakes. Itching to put a front pair, slotted, not drilled, in my Naughty SC 430.
Always liked Jegs and RockAuto. I'll have to check out caliper covers....which colour would coexist with a black car and chrome wheels? Blue or red?
Old 04-30-19, 06:57 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digitatc, do you see the Nav screen almost visible under the Chromecast image? I experience that with the Navtool. Almost like a ghost image that scrolls in the background of the mirrored phone image.
Old 04-30-19, 09:32 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
I did the clay bar thing last summer. I had never done it before, and turns out it was pretty easy. Take a look at this 16-year old paint:
+1 on the claybar. I recently learned about claybars after buying my black '02 SC430 just over a year ago. I agree it does an amazing job on the paint. I bought the Chem Guys synthetic claybar, primarily for the size as I tend to drop things . And when I took the claybar to my 06 RX400h which I've only hand-washed or taken thru the Costco carwash, I was shocked how the paint came alive again - I forgot how the original Smokey Granite Mica (??) practically sparkled in the sunlight...
Old 05-01-19, 04:34 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JTho
Looks beautiful! May I ask what brand of clay you used? I have always had it done but enjoy doing this type of thing when I have the time. Have to admit, I didn't know you were supposed to wax after claying!
Thanks. It was Mother's clay bar kit. And I was so disappointed when I finished, the paint looked dull until I waxed it. After that, it just glowed.
The following users liked this post:
JTho (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 10:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
Have Stop Techs in my G500 and just put them in my wife's 2014 GLK front. So much better than the stock brakes. Itching to put a front pair, slotted, not drilled, in my Naughty SC 430.
Always liked Jegs and RockAuto. I'll have to check out caliper covers....which colour would coexist with a black car and chrome wheels? Blue or red?
Red would really pop with black paint and blue would be more subdued, IMHO. Depends on which effect you are going for.
Old 05-01-19, 11:14 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430VA
Digitatc, do you see the Nav screen almost visible under the Chromecast image? I experience that with the Navtool. Almost like a ghost image that scrolls in the background of the mirrored phone image.
Yes, it's like signal interference. Displaying static image is OK (not great) however, any sort of video, it's just plain bad. My first thought was grounding but I was using a 12v battery to power the unit so it should not have cause that.
The backup camera video feed looks fine though.
Old 05-01-19, 11:45 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Lighter is better

Originally Posted by Harold57
Red would really pop with black paint and blue would be more subdued, IMHO. Depends on which effect you are going for.
Thanks Harold57,

Yes, I feel the same way about the red. However, I'm kind of a subdued dude.

But, as you know, the handling and braking characteristics of the car are influenced significantly by unsprung weight. Wheels are a significant factor here; all things being equal one wants lighter suspension, wheels and tires, and braking etc. components.

Right now I'm deciding whether to keep the chrome Lexus wheels that came with the car primarily based on weight. Thus, I have to weight the present wheels and make a decision to keep them or go for wheels that weigh approximately 19-22 lbs with an 8.5" width.

I see no reason to change the tires at this point.
Old 05-03-19, 06:03 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good evening guys, as some of you may have already seen from some of my previous posts. I am going to begin working on my SC430 during the summer in order to have it looking great for my Senior year of high school. With that in mind I’m beginning to save money for everything that I will need. I did not want to open a new thread because I understand that may get pretty annoying so I believe it is good to put it here instead as this is in fact something I will do with my Sc430... just not today XD. To begin, I wanted to ask if this brake kit is a good one. I want to have the best brakes that I can find for a reasonable price. My 2004 Sc430 brakes are very “faded” and that is one of the main replacements I would like to do.
https://www.1aauto.com/lexus-brake-k...SABEgKgn_D_BwE
this is the link, can anyone guide me as to whether these are good, or maybe reference me to some brake kits that are better. Thank you
Old 05-04-19, 03:40 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Stop Tech as an alternative?

Originally Posted by RENEGATE28
Good evening guys, as some of you may have already seen from some of my previous posts. I am going to begin working on my SC430 during the summer in order to have it looking great for my Senior year of high school. With that in mind I’m beginning to save money for everything that I will need. I did not want to open a new thread because I understand that may get pretty annoying so I believe it is good to put it here instead as this is in fact something I will do with my Sc430... just not today XD. To begin, I wanted to ask if this brake kit is a good one. I want to have the best brakes that I can find for a reasonable price. My 2004 Sc430 brakes are very “faded” and that is one of the main replacements I would like to do.
https://www.1aauto.com/lexus-brake-k...SABEgKgn_D_BwE
this is the link, can anyone guide me as to whether these are good, or maybe reference me to some brake kits that are better. Thank you
I don't have any knowledge of these specific brakes. However, I can tell you I do not like drilled rotors for street use. I also like the black hats featured by this Stop Tech kit, which these Nakamoto brakes do not have. Why? - electrolytic corrosion. I have tried the only zinc coated hats and it is not enough to stop it. Rusty brakes are unsightly.

I have used Stop Tech brakes on many cars with good results. As I said above we just put a full set on my wife's MB and she said it transforms the car. I am going to put a front pair on my SC430 and probably change the hoses at the same time. Since your car is older both you and I should consider re-manufactured calipers, new hoses, and a full brake fluid change. No need for a "Big Brake Kit" unless you want to throw away $. We live near Lime Rock Park and many of the SCCA racers as well as the Skip Barber School use racing versions of Stop Tech.

Carid is one source that I use and there are others. If they have them in stock they tell you unlike many smaller vendors out there where you wait and wait.

Congrats on acquiring a great car. (We weren't allowed to have them in HS - not even freshman year in college! ) You are certainly starting in the right place thinking about brakes! How about tires?

Last edited by ivanj; 05-04-19 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 05:43 AM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
You are certainly starting in the right place thinking about brakes! How about tires?
Yes, thank you I will definitely consider your advice on the rotors. Although it kinda sucks, drilled rotors are really nice and aesthetic. As for the tires, I remember my dad saying he never replaced the run flats because there was no room for a spare tire, and if there was ever an event that the tire were to get damaged we would be able to drive it to wherever we need it to go. What’s your take on this? Is it worth changing the OEM tires? And if so can you lead me into any good ones that are not too expensive? (I know tires are expensive, and 17 year olds like myself aren’t really on the money-making stage of life just yet haha)

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?