SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 12:32 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

@ivanj
If you have see something similar to mine, then we'll need professional help. I took these before we clay, buff and wax it's a lot better now but still I don't know what else can we do to completely hide it.
The problem is the paint around the letters came off, so there is not much we can do.

@Harold57 I took off the badge with a heat gun. Then I used goose gone pro with a towel to soften the adhesive, and patiently use my finger nail to push them. Finally use a fiber towel to clean up.

On a positive note, after de-badged, the car is lighter so we can go faster now.

I'm pretty sure I don't see them from a 10ft away.
Old 05-27-19, 03:46 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
@ivanj
If you have see something similar to mine, then we'll need professional help. I took these before we clay, buff and wax it's a lot better now but still I don't know what else can we do to completely hide it.
The problem is the paint around the letters came off, so there is not much we can do.
I have to say yours is much more noticeable than mine - sorry they're not being very cooperative...

Current picture of my rear (the car, not my own!), complete with new license plate frame that is now centered (stupid previous owner...). I didn't think to get closeups of where the badges used to be:

^^ picture taken today, post-detailing...
Old 05-27-19, 03:53 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
3m eraser wheel. Looks aggressive, but it's not at all. Makes very quick work of it. Body shops use them on a daily basis.
I'll check with my b/s and report back.

I used to work for 3M. They are a very class act making wonderful products. The adhesive may well have been 3M so they should know how to get theirs or their competitions off!
Old 05-27-19, 04:14 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

I just did a long overdue detail/spring cleaning on my SC - interior detail yesterday afternoon, and a full exterior detail starting stupid-early this morning. I used all Meguiar's products except for NuFinish polish, along with a ton of various MF towels.

Started with the wheels along with a new brush to get the lug nut areas clean, then a full wash, MF dry, followed by Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe (more MFs), cleaned exterior glass (another MF), then full NuFinish end-to-end (even more MFs). I even removed the license plates/frames to get wax behind there. I also washed and waxed my license plates while they were off...heck, why not??

Afterwards I put in new carpeted floor mats (I've had them for a while collecting dust), added new Lexus frames (finally tossed the dealer ones) and re-centered the rear frame as the previous owner did not do a good job. The hazards of being an **** engineer...

I used MEGUIAR'S G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner (LINK) for the first time, and I have to say it works pretty well (did each wheel twice). Either my wheels have been so dirty for so long that I forgot how they can look when clean, or the Meguiar's really did clean them up an extra notch or two. All in all, she looks pretty good for a 2002 that could probably use a new paint job down the road...

^^ looking good for her years!

^^ paint still reflects well, despite the age

^^ reflecting the outdoors...

^^ Meguiar's did a nice job!

Last edited by mak99; 05-27-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 04:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It is not the wheel that I'm concerned with scratching up the paint, it is the hardened adhesive coming loose and then being brushed away against the paint and scratching the paint.
Old 05-28-19, 04:01 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99

Afterwards I put in new carpeted floor mats (I've had them for a while collecting dust), added new Lexus frames (finally tossed the dealer ones) and re-centered the rear frame as the previous owner did not do a good job. The hazards of being an **** engineer...
I thought that was called a proctologist...
Old 05-28-19, 06:49 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maarp
I thought that was called a proctologist...
^^ THAT is funny!
Old 05-28-19, 09:54 PM
ivanj
Driver

^^ THAT is funny!
Funny? You haven't met mak99 !
Old 05-28-19, 10:01 PM
ivanj
Driver

Default Nufunish!

I just did a long overdue detail/spring cleaning on my SC - interior detail yesterday afternoon, and a full exterior detail starting stupid-early this morning. I used all Meguiar's products except for NuFinish polish, along with a ton of various MF towels.

Started with the wheels along with a new brush to get the lug nut areas clean, then a full wash, MF dry, followed by Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe (more MFs), cleaned exterior glass (another MF), then full NuFinish end-to-end (even more MFs). I even removed the license plates/frames to get wax behind there. I also washed and waxed my license plates while they were off...heck, why not??

I used MEGUIAR'S G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner (LINK) for the first time, and I have to say it works pretty well (did each wheel twice). Either my wheels have been so dirty for so long that I forgot how they can look when clean, or the Meguiar's really did clean them up an extra notch or two. All in all, she looks pretty good for a 2002 that could probably use a new paint job down the road...

^^ looking good for her years!

^^ paint still reflects well, despite the age

^^ reflecting the outdoors...

^^ Meguiar's did a nice job!
How do you like the Barum tires? What would you compare them to in a more well-known brand? I know that they are associated with Continental now.

I've been using NuFinish since the 80's; wonderful product. Remember the commercials?

As far as the car goes, you've outdone yourself sir!

Last edited by ivanj; 05-29-19 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added NuFinish link
Old 05-28-19, 10:25 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ivanj
How do you like the Barum tires? What would you compare them to in a more well-known brand? I know that they are associated with Continental now.

I've been using NuFinish since the 80's; wonderful product. Remember the commercials?

As far as the car goes, you've outdone yourself sir!
First, thanks for the compliment!

The Barums came with the car when I bought it last Mar 2018 (and I've only put on about 5k miles since), so can't really compare them to anything. I personally hadn't heard of this brand, and I'd say they are fine and do the job. However, there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel about 30-35mph, then again closer to 60mph - no idea if it's something harmonic caused by the tires, rim(s), or something in the suspension. It's next on my list to have my trusty shop diagnose when I take it in for an oil change.

I plan to buy new wheels soon, and will also put on different tires (maybe Michelin or Bridgestone - whatever special Costco might be running ). I'm thinking these wheels (LINK) would look good, per the picture at the bottom of the page shown on a silver SC.

I've also used NuFinish for decades, and have always been pleased with the results - and the fairly easy effort to remove it when ready. I think next time I'll use a separate MF towel for each body panel which will be close to a dozen if I include the bumpers separately. This detail yesterday did take me quite a while - almost eight hours taking my time w/ some breaks - but it sure is worth the effort. But I almost want to leave 'er covered in the garage so she doesn't get dirty again!

Last edited by mak99; 05-28-19 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 07:59 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

^ Looks fantastic.

One thing I've noticed with the paint (at least on my 2002) is that it appears to have been wet-sanded prior to clear coating. There is no orange peel to be seen anywhere, no flaws at all. I was looking at a newer S-class MB in Germany last week, and its finish was far inferior to Lexus.
Old 06-04-19, 03:30 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Free mod to my doors with hope it will help the body flexing a little less. Got the idea from this thread but not willing to pay 200+ bucks for it so I fabricated my own using the cut out from my hard rubber floor mat.
Doors are much tighter now.
It looks ghetto but oh well, if it works 50% as well as the real thing, I'd be happy.

The following users liked this post:
okievision (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 04:00 PM
okievision
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Mak, I noticed your wheels are pushed out from stock position.
WHat spacers are you using? 30mm rear, 20mm front?
Old 06-05-19, 08:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

[QUOTE=digitatc;10534050]Free mod to my doors with hope it will help the body flexing a little less. Got the idea from this thread but not willing to pay 200+ bucks for it so I fabricated my own using the cut out from my hard rubber floor mat.
Doors are much tighter now.
It looks ghetto but oh well, if it works 50% as well as the real thing, I'd be happy.

What kind of doormat is it? How thick was it? Please share details, for this low cost I will try it...

Thanks.
Old 06-05-19, 11:18 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
^ Looks fantastic.

One thing I've noticed with the paint (at least on my 2002) is that it appears to have been wet-sanded prior to clear coating. There is no orange peel to be seen anywhere, no flaws at all. I was looking at a newer S-class MB in Germany last week, and its finish was far inferior to Lexus.

it's not that it had been wet sanded. It's the type of clear coat and the process Lexus uses to apply it. This soft clear flows out very well when still wet. It pretty much eliminates orange peel. Mercedes uses a very hard clear coat. It doesn't flow out well after being applied. This results in much more orange peel.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?