SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 02:14 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

[quote=mandyfig;10534536]
Originally Posted by digitatc
Free mod to my doors with hope it will help the body flexing a little less. Got the idea from this thread but not willing to pay 200+ bucks for it so I fabricated my own using the cut out from my hard rubber floor mat.
Doors are much tighter now.
It looks ghetto but oh well, if it works 50% as well as the real thing, I'd be happy.

What kind of doormat is it? How thick was it? Please share details, for this low cost I will try it...

Thanks.
It was an exceed piece that I trimmed of off my Husky floor mat (
Amazon Amazon
)
The thickness is about 4.9mm. It just happens to be perfect for the gap on my car. I put some Honda Shin-Etsu Grease to make it easier to close/open.

Old 06-06-19, 08:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

This is the original thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...tabilizer.html

Ok this brings back memories. I believe there was a thread on this and discussions were heavy.

I clicked on the website of the Japanese vendor and you can see there are 2 components, one fits the door and the other fits the body. There was a lot of discussion on effectiveness of this add on in terms of the structural integrity of the SC (flexing).

The only connection between the door (attached to the Front body on 2 hinges) and the rear body is on the latch itself (which is basically the latch hook on the door and U bar on the rear body)

To increase body stiffness, this “spacer-shim” located on the 2 sides (body and door) act like a “bridge-connector” thereby some of the flexing is contained (with forces spread out on the mating surfaces through friction), the benefit is felt especially when the top is down.

The only reason a bunch of us did not get these was the cost and availability. I thought somebody local tried to develop something similar.

Who has this on their SC?
Old 06-06-19, 10:24 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

I don’t but I am intrigued. There multiple sites where they can be purchased but, they are pricey. Really not sure to what extent they would improve driving characteristics. In other words....I’ll need empirical rather than anecdotal data to justify the expense.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 06-06-19, 11:17 AM
digitatc
Instructor

bacardi11 is the only active member who purchased them back in 2013. The only problem with this is you still have to shim it until it snug fit your car per rouge
Old 06-06-19, 11:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

I am with you VVTiBob, to much expense to experiment with, and can not be returned easily if you wanted to. If these worked, it would have been a longer thread.
Old 06-10-19, 09:36 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Making my SC my #1 Vehicle

Lovin my 04 SC so much that I have decided to sell my 04 Corvette Convertible and make this my go-to car. Started doing what I can to improve the look of my car since I am not a techie like lots of you fellow owners are. Here's what I've done already or are in the process of doing or have plans to do very soon.

Done: Plasti-dipped my Spider wheels in a Black Cherry color which now match my rear emblems. Different, I know, but I believe the color is very complementary to my Millenium Silver paint.

Done: Re-finished my headlights using one of those store bought kits and I have to say my headlights not only look crystal clear but I definitely notice how much brighter the low beams project now.

In Process: Clay barred car and then used paint cleaner on some spots that didn't look so good. Well, noticed many more scratches and a few badly repaired "nicks" I just can't live with, so I've gone to a body shop and picked up a few semi-mangled fenders I can practice on before trying to actually repair the flaws on my SC. Just started this process but I have to say I'm very surprised how hard it is to try and put scratches or"nicks" in the paint on my "practice" pieces.

In Progress: Removed the trunk luggage cover and am in the process of repairing area where the seam has badly separated. Apparently every time the cover retracts back into the "roll" at the front of the trunk it makes the damage worse, so in doing the repairs I'm taking my time and making sure whatever I end up with can hold up to frequent use.

Coming Soon: There are places in my Beige Interior where the color has rubbed off on the drivers side seat and arm rest. So I've located a local vendor who the area Lexus dealership uses to repair the interiors of their "for sale" used vehicles, and I have scheduled an appointment for this professional to come to my home to do "their" magic.

My SC is always on my mind, so essentially these are all of the things that I've done or thought about doing for my SC today.
The following users liked this post:
mandyfig (06-11-19)
Old 06-15-19, 12:47 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received my Cusco strut tower bar & ISF rear sway bar from Japan. Installed the Cusco while waiting for the paint on the sway bar to dry.

Old 06-15-19, 03:06 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pre-birthday fun

Tomorrow is my birthday so:
1. Ordered the door rigidity kit from Japan. We'll see if this is still available.
2. I amassed all the parts necessary for the rear sway bar upgrade from the 12mm stock bar to the powder coated 17mm ISF bar. Installation will be Wednesday as the MOOG links will be in Tuesday PM.
3. After removing the SC430 and Lexus logotype from the rear, (I saved them.) I washed the car. Then I hit these spots with NuFinish.
4. I ordered a junkyard replacement NAV screen. I will modify this to accept the iPhone: WAZE and backup camera upgrade. I'll keep the present unit as a spare. I like the look of the walnut hiding the screen when it is not in use.
5. I washed the car again with what used to be DuPont #34 powdered wash. I like it better than the liquid washes because it is highly resistant to storage temperature fluctuations. It also is very economical and is just a wash. I think I have had the same canister for 5 years.
6. Just for laughs I hit the spots in 3. above with NuFinish again.

7. I am about to order a Dr. Colorchip kit. I've looked at the door, etc. and cannot find the paint code. Does anyone know the paint code for a black '02 SC 430?

Last edited by ivanj; 06-15-19 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 04:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

You’ll find the codes in the sticky threads top of the forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brochures.html Should be 202 Black Onyx.
Old 06-15-19, 06:50 PM
okievision
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
Tomorrow is my birthday
Happy Birthday
Old 06-15-19, 06:51 PM
okievision
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
Installed the Cusco
Looks great, nice product
Old 06-16-19, 06:31 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
You’ll find the codes in the sticky threads top of the forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brochures.html Should be 202 Black Onyx.
I guess I am not handy at searching the Forum. Hiding in plain sight!
Old 07-29-19, 07:16 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Spent my weekend to redo my front brake. Clean & paint the caliper then install with new rotor/pads & stainless steel line. So much time spent on cleaning and painting the calipers. I wouldn't do it again.

When I bought the car almost 8 months ago, I immediately bought the brake components. If I didn't, I would have gone the Supra TT BBK route. It would have looked so much better. Oh well, this would do for now.

The following 3 users liked this post by digitatc:
sc4tlc (07-30-19), texsexlex (07-29-19), TitanG545 (05-20-20)
Old 07-30-19, 10:14 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Nice job digitatc.
Old 07-30-19, 12:11 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
Tomorrow is my birthday so:
1. Ordered the door rigidity kit from Japan. We'll see if this is still available.
2. I amassed all the parts necessary for the rear sway bar upgrade from the 12mm stock bar to the powder coated 17mm ISF bar. Installation will be Wednesday as the MOOG links will be in Tuesday PM.
3. After removing the SC430 and Lexus logotype from the rear, (I saved them.) I washed the car. Then I hit these spots with NuFinish.
4. I ordered a junkyard replacement NAV screen. I will modify this to accept the iPhone: WAZE and backup camera upgrade. I'll keep the present unit as a spare. I like the look of the walnut hiding the screen when it is not in use.
5. I washed the car again with what used to be DuPont #34 powdered wash. I like it better than the liquid washes because it is highly resistant to storage temperature fluctuations. It also is very economical and is just a wash. I think I have had the same canister for 5 years.
6. Just for laughs I hit the spots in 3. above with NuFinish again.

7. I am about to order a Dr. Colorchip kit. I've looked at the door, etc. and cannot find the paint code. Does anyone know the paint code for a black '02 SC 430?
#3. Isnt there an indent in the metal where the rear Lexus logo is? Any pics finished??

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?