SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 08:52 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Replaced reverse lights with leds.

Ian B
Old 01-11-20, 09:25 PM
siddu
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrIanB
Replaced reverse lights with leds.

https://youtu.be/4k0CPW6Mtmk

Ian B
NO WAY that’s amazing!!! One of my brake lights is always going out and I’m thinking of replacing them with leds! I’m kinda a noob but did you do any electrical work or did you just switch the bulb?
Old 01-11-20, 09:30 PM
siddu
Rookie

Bought my 2002 SC430 today and picked it up. Pics and intro later tonight. Drove it from San Antonio to Austin, Texas and that V8 wants to run. Purred like a cat at 80mph.

Ian B
Wait... I am in Austin Tx too! I have seen a couple sc’s. One that looks just like yours, a pebble beach edition, and a blue with gold lettering. Is it possible I saw you? Also what mechanic did you go to?
Old 01-11-20, 09:38 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Originally Posted by siddu
NO WAY that’s amazing!!! One of my brake lights is always going out and I’m thinking of replacing them with leds! I’m kinda a noob but did you do any electrical work or did you just switch the bulb?
No mechanic skills here whatsoever. Plug and play. Just get under the rear bumper, twist to the right the connector, pull back the back, remove bulb and plug new ones. Here is the link to them.
https://www.amazon.com/Extremely-UPGRADED-Marsauto-Chipsets-Replacement/dp/B07G2KQYG8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=REVERSE+LEDS+SC430&qid=1578807033&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/Extremely-UPGRADED-Marsauto-Chipsets-Replacement/dp/B07G2KQYG8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=REVERSE+LEDS+SC430&qid=1578807033&sr=8-5

I did the license plate too, and those just pull the clip and the unit comes down, remove the bulb and replace with leds. I already had a couple of spare ones, so did not have to buy them. Check out this thread for where to buy them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...rnization.html

Ian B
Old 01-11-20, 09:47 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Wait... I am in Austin Tx too! I have seen a couple sc’s. One that looks just like yours, a pebble beach edition, and a blue with gold lettering. Is it possible I saw you? Also what mechanic did you go to?
PM me if you want to meet. I am off Mon and Tue and Sunday work till 8pm but can meet afterwards. If the SC did not have temp plates, it would not have been me. My mechanic is Kevin who owns Austin Z Clinic. He works on my 370Z and the only mechanic I trust. Very reasonable prices and easy to get my car worked on. He just did the timing belt and water pump replacement for $580.00 and I bought the kit from Amazon for the parts.

Ian B
Old 01-12-20, 07:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

So how do the LEDs you installed compare with the OEM bulbs as far as illumination? I'm guessing that the reverse lights don't give the bulb burned out warning from changing over to LEDs like some of the others do, right?
Old 01-12-20, 09:48 AM
MrIanB
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
So how do the LEDs you installed compare with the OEM bulbs as far as illumination? I'm guessing that the reverse lights don't give the bulb burned out warning from changing over to LEDs like some of the others do, right?
They are 100x brighter than stock. Not sure if they will let you know when they burn out but, they have longer life and never had to replace one on all my cars.

Ian B
Old 01-12-20, 09:53 AM
siddu
Rookie

They are 100x brighter than stock. Not sure if they will let you know when they burn out but, they have longer life and never had to replace one on all my cars.

Ian B
And the light isn’t on in the dash? Don’t led’s take a whole lot less power than incandescent?
Old 01-12-20, 10:49 AM
MrIanB
Driver

And the light isn’t on in the dash? Don’t led’s take a whole lot less power than incandescent?
I believe so and no lights on in the dash.

Ian B
Old 01-12-20, 12:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Ian B
Actually what I was asking was whether the light came on the dash by changing over to the LEDs. Since LEDs pull about 15% the power that an incandescent bulb does, the circuitry that monitors the bulbs think that the bulb has burned out when LEDs are placed in. So if your dash light didn't come on, that means that it isn't monitoring those lights. Some of the other bulbs (like in the brake lights) are monitored and it would have come on for that change. (There are some threads on this.)

Good to know they are brighter. They look nice.
Old 01-12-20, 12:37 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Actually what I was asking was whether the light came on the dash by changing over to the LEDs. Since LEDs pull about 15% the power that an incandescent bulb does, the circuitry that monitors the bulbs think that the bulb has burned out when LEDs are placed in. So if your dash light didn't come on, that means that it isn't monitoring those lights. Some of the other bulbs (like in the brake lights) are monitored and it would have come on for that change. (There are some threads on this.)

Good to know they are brighter. They look nice.
I see your point now Harold. Good info on your part.

Ian B
Old 01-12-20, 08:46 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Ordered the Lexus puddle lights for the doors.

Ian B
Old 01-13-20, 04:14 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Took car in for recall at Lexus of Austin, work took 4 hours to do, got a loaner and picked the car up around 3:30p washed but, no gas added.

Ian B
Old 01-14-20, 10:09 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Took car in for recall at Lexus of Austin, work took 4 hours to do, got a loaner and picked the car up around 3:30p washed but, no gas added.

Ian B
You can point that out to them and that they are required to refill the tank. Maybe they'll still do it even though you've already picked it up.
Old 01-14-20, 10:51 AM
MrIanB
Driver

You can point that out to them and that they are required to refill the tank. Maybe they'll still do it even though you've already picked it up.
Thanks but not worth my time over half tank of gas. Surprise they did not tell me car needed anything done.

Ian B.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?