SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 01:09 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Had some time on my hands this morning so decided to install a triple 12v power supply in the trunk. Should make checking my air pressure much easier. My trunk game is strong!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-img_20151225_135948.jpg   What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-imag0109.jpg  
Old 12-25-15, 08:45 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I cleaned her up really good, thinking we would drive the Sc to Lake Charles,but it's suppose to be raining all weekend long.....so the Expedition will get the work this weekend
The following users liked this post:
RazoSC430 (01-14-20)
Old 12-26-15, 04:35 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Not for mine, but for another member here as a Christmas present.

Modified both front seat belt lights and the steering wheel controls with white LEDs.

Interestingly while inside the steering wheel controls, I noticed that it has the VOICE and TELEPHONE buttons populated. The plungers are even in the plastic case. But the shell doesn't have the external buttons so you cannot access them when it is assembled.

Those two tubes below the buttons line up with the plungers. But they don't go all the way through the case.

The two plungers for the VOICE and TEL buttons. The circuit board has an encoder on it which means that the VOICE and TEL buttons probably would do send signals down either the BEAN or AVC-LAN bus.

And a little OT, but anyone want to gift me $20K? Getting teased with an offer for this:

My absolute favorite car (this is a replica, of course.)
Old 12-26-15, 11:08 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Retro is on fire and I am especially happy with the seat belt and radio control LED upgrade! Literally grinning from ear to ear! I will also be posting a Christmas nugget for all the members in a new thread soon. And that Shelby Cobra (even a replica) is really nice! I'm sure we'd all have loved to see that sitting in our drive way Christmas morning!
Old 12-26-15, 12:02 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Retro is on fire and I am especially happy with the seat belt and radio control LED upgrade! Literally grinning from ear to ear! I will also be posting a Christmas nugget for all the members in a new thread soon. And that Shelby Cobra (even a replica) is really nice! I'm sure we'd all have loved to see that sitting in our drive way Christmas morning!
Can't wait to see it installed. Hopefully you will write up a tut on taking the seats out, etc... to compliment the LED mod. If you do, I will move the LED mod stuff in there so it is all in one place.

I didn't have a pinout for the radio controls, so I couldn't test it. I wanted to see if the light leaked around the buttons. But I didn't want to guess at the pinout and possibly damage it. If someone has the wiring diagram, I'll test it out. I doubt that the light will leak because of the type of LEDs that I used.

And yeah, one day I will have a Cobra, but I am not yet at a point in life where I can afford $20K just for a toy. One day, though.
Old 12-26-15, 02:49 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Changed Differential Fluid

Today, I replaced the differential fluid in my 2003 (56k miles).

The toughest part was breaking open the tight fill and drain plugs. But once I used an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar, they opened right up.

This fluid has never been changed, and I was quite surprised to see how clear and golden the original fluid was. But I do understand that the color of the fluid is not the only thing that is important, so I'm still very glad that I changed it.

I'll plan on doing it again after another 30k miles.
Old 12-26-15, 09:28 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I didn't have a pinout for the radio controls, so I couldn't test it. I wanted to see if the light leaked around the buttons. But I didn't want to guess at the pinout and possibly damage it. If someone has the wiring diagram, I'll test it out. I doubt that the light will leak because of the type of LEDs that I used.
Shawn inspired me to remove my steering control to test the LEDs. Looks beautiful, but there is light leakage. I'll get that taken care of before I send it out.

Bonus: I now have mine out so I will be doing the mod for myself. I was surprised how easy it is to remove.
Old 12-26-15, 11:13 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Not today. I actually did this a while ago and kept forgetting to post a pic. I wanted to see how I would do without seeing the lettering. Been driving this way for about a month and realized I use the dash indicator anyway.

Painted with Krylon Brushed Nickel paint. Eventually, I will be having a thin sheet of brushed aluminum cut instead to cover the shifter, as well as a custom badge for the coin holder cover.

And I completed adding LEDs to my own radio controls. I added heatshrink tubing to the LEDs to reduce the light leakage. While this didn't completely eliminate it, it certainly improved it. I am satisfied with it.

Old 12-27-15, 07:58 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Retro, thanks so much for putting in the bench time to help me get my SC where I truly want it to be! I truly feel that the devil is in the details, and I little things like getting these white LEDs may seem trivial to some but to me tying it all together makes the car a complete custom masterpiece. I'm glad that you have the experience and the fortitude to take on these projects. I won't ruin the surprise but I know our next co-project will be a great one too! Something to look forward to after the New Year, I guess. On a side note, I do like the silver you've done around the shifter plate. I've thought about refinishing mine, but I do rely on the marking so I'd want to keep the letters. I've heard of some owner who used some artistic rubber coating/masking tape to cover the letters and painted over it as you did. Results looked great, as do yours. I'm sure you'll find a way to get them back, if you need them. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-15, 05:37 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Got around to doing my steering wheel swap today. Went pretty well except that I didn't have an extnesion for my socket wrench which turned a 15 minute job into a 2 hours ordeal. Also, I installed a hard wired Qi Car Cradle to charge my phone wirelessly. Had a modify the original Qi cradle a little to avoid the tilt steering when I remove the key from the ignition. Turned out pretty nice in the end, and no more worries about my phone dying.
Looks great, glad you're enjoying modding your car.
Old 12-28-15, 05:41 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Retro, Shawn, great to see members helping each other out. It is why I love this group. It's way better than my BMW forum. They tend to be brash, and self absorbed.
Old 12-30-15, 08:06 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I met with Russ (pynky01) today & picked up the Injen Intake that I purchased from him
Old 12-30-15, 10:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

With the help of Retro, I was able to complete my seat belt LED swap and steering wheel remote LED swap! Really happy with the results! Couldn't have done it without Retro! Much respect!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-imag0136.jpg   What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-imag0139.jpg   What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-imag0141.jpg  
Old 12-30-15, 10:16 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

With the help of Retro, I was able to complete my seat belt LED swap and steering wheel remote LED swap! Really happy with the results! Couldn't have done it without Retro! Much respect!
Looks great! I think you everything converted over to white LEDs now, right?
Old 12-31-15, 05:45 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Looks great! I think you everything converted over to white LEDs now, right?
Almost. Only things left are the rearview mirror and seat heaters (not a priority), the A/C Unit, and the OEM radio (at a later date)... oh yeah, and the trunk/gas release, hint hint Retro

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?