SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 12:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

Jim, It’s your internet. This CL site has lots of advertising and if you have slow internet, it will do that. I used to have same problems, screen would be blank, stalled or “reloaded due to error” (what’s error?). I have complained but eventually learned to deal with that. We ditched out Spectrum internet provider and went with Frontier fiber optic. The problem when away.

Sorry that you’re hurt. I wish you a speed recovery.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 12:53 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Sorry about your injury Jim. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Try experimenting with a different browser than the one you are having issues with. I tend to stay away from the Microsoft and Apple browsers and go with Firefox. I find it to be more secure and less buggy. It's one of the few remaining, great, free programs out there. Chrome has privacy issues, in my experience.
Bgw70 (09-14-21)
Old 09-15-21, 08:27 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

if it were my internet or browser it would be the same on all my lists. it isnt. only on this list on long threads.
Old 09-15-21, 01:22 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimisbell
if it were my internet or browser it would be the same on all my lists. it isnt. only on this list on long threads.
Not necessarily, and it would be an easy prospect to test by simply installing Firefox. If there is no improvement, it is easy to uninstall.
Old 09-15-21, 01:27 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Hey Jim, are you using MS Edge?
Old 09-15-21, 05:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Not necessarily, and it would be an easy prospect to test by simply installing Firefox. If there is no improvement, it is easy to uninstall.
Jim. It’s your Internet. For long threads or threads with photos, it will take a while for the page to load all the photos. In addition, this site has many ads that also utilize photos and graphics. I used to get very frustrated when the page kept “reloaded do to error occurred” until we changed our internet provider.
Old 09-15-21, 05:26 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

i have been using Firefox from thrir FIRST version. Never used anything else.

this is what it says on the blank page.
What did you do to/for your sc430 today?
View First Unread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-21, 11:12 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Notice any difference(s)?

Day of purchase

Day of Purchase - vintage Niche Britane wheels

Today

IS Wheels and Conti tires

Give up? OK, I put on a set of Lexus IS wheels that I had cleaned up and powder coated. Got rid of Firestone Firehawk run-flats for Continental Extreme Contact Sports - 245/40R18 front (8" wheel width), 255/40R18 rear (8.5" wheel width).

My first time going from run-flat to standard - and I no longer the doubt folks on here who reported a big change moving from run-flat to standard.

I opted for the Conti's as I've driven Michelin Pilots before and I no longer even pretend to be a Joe Racer; other factors mean more to me now.

The Conti's stop better (in wet and dry per Tire Rack tests). They are also a bit quieter (In my totally unscientific opinion). And, their sidewall is a little softer so that helps with ride.

I feel like I have moved the SC430 into the Grand Touring category, and I'm a happier driver. Only thing is my wife is wanting to drive it now
elibutton (09-30-21)
Old 09-18-21, 01:40 PM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by oneround

Day of purchase

Day of Purchase - vintage Niche Britane wheels

Today

IS Wheels and Conti tires

Give up? OK, I put on a set of Lexus IS wheels that I had cleaned up and powder coated. Got rid of Firestone Firehawk run-flats for Continental Extreme Contact Sports - 245/40R18 front (8" wheel width), 255/40R18 rear (8.5" wheel width).

My first time going from run-flat to standard - and I no longer the doubt folks on here who reported a big change moving from run-flat to standard.

I opted for the Conti's as I've driven Michelin Pilots before and I no longer even pretend to be a Joe Racer; other factors mean more to me now.

The Conti's stop better (in wet and dry per Tire Rack tests). They are also a bit quieter (In my totally unscientific opinion). And, their sidewall is a little softer so that helps with ride.

I feel like I have moved the SC430 into the Grand Touring category, and I'm a happier driver. Only thing is my wife is wanting to drive it now
Those wheels look good on the car. Nice work.
LEX430SC (09-05-22)
Old 09-18-21, 02:21 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

I like both sets of wheels! The design of your original chrome wheels fits the body shape of the SC430 particularly well. That said, chrome rims tend to be heavier than non-chrome wheels, and they are a PITA to keep from corroding. Your new wheels look great too!

I ditched my OEM chrome G-Spider wheels and run flats for Michelin Pilots on 17 inch Enkei RPF1's (due to their light weight). I minus sized them to get a 1/2" more sidewall, and thus, more comfort. I've been wondering if keeping them at 18" and just going with the cushiest tire I could find would have been a better alternative, but bottom line...I love the improved performance and ride!
Old 09-18-21, 02:44 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I like both sets of wheels! The design of your original chrome wheels fits the body shape of the SC430 particularly well. That said, chrome rims tend to be heavier than non-chrome wheels, and they are a PITA to keep from corroding. Your new wheels look great too!

I ditched my OEM chrome G-Spider wheels and run flats for Michelin Pilots on 17 inch Enkei RPF1's (due to their light weight). I minus sized them to get a 1/2" more sidewall, and thus, more comfort. I've been wondering if keeping them at 18" and just going with the cushiest tire I could find would have been a better alternative, but bottom line...I love the improved performance and ride!
I kept the chrome wheels and they do have a good bit of corrosion. And the inner barrel of the wheels looks almost like it was frequently driven down gravel roads (stones bouncing around inside). I'm going to try a DIY wheel clean up - been watching tons of online videos on the subject. It may be the chrome has to come off to save them.
Old 09-19-21, 07:07 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Put in the spare tire kit today. Good thing the SC is not my primary hauler vehicle. It was tight before, now I'm wondering if I can fit in a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. Gotta give a shout-out to @GmanSC for his post on the spare tire topic. The Lexus dealer I used for the parts didn't include the install instructions. However, included with the helpful pics in his post, is a pic showing the tech bulletin number. Then using the board resources (sticky threads), I was able to print them out.

Oh, and I partially lowered the top so I could clean off the rubber sealing gaskets. Then I used some Sonax GummiPfleger around the top, doors, windshield and trunk gaskets to give them a little love.

Sometime today I need to get my beautiful assistant's help with the Techstream registration of the TPMS sensors. I'm sort of used to the little tire light on the dash, but since I spent north of 200 for new sensors might as well let them do their job.

Thanks to the forum -- and GmanSC -- all went very smoothly.
Old 09-19-21, 09:40 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Put in the spare tire kit today. Good thing the SC is not my primary hauler vehicle. It was tight before, now I'm wondering if I can fit in a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. Gotta give a shout-out to @GmanSC for his post on the spare tire topic. The Lexus dealer I used for the parts didn't include the install instructions. However, included with the helpful pics in his post, is a pic showing the tech bulletin number. Then using the board resources (sticky threads), I was able to print them out.

Oh, and I partially lowered the top so I could clean off the rubber sealing gaskets. Then I used some Sonax GummiPfleger around the top, doors, windshield and trunk gaskets to give them a little love.

Sometime today I need to get my beautiful assistant's help with the Techstream registration of the TPMS sensors. I'm sort of used to the little tire light on the dash, but since I spent north of 200 for new sensors might as well let them do their job.

Thanks to the forum -- and GmanSC -- all went very smoothly.
Lee, thanks for the dood thought but I can’t take the credit. I think you are mistaken my thread with either BWG or Dennis . You should thanks them. I still have the runflats, and have never posted anything regarding spare tire.
Old 09-19-21, 10:09 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Lee, thanks for the dood thought but I can’t take the credit. I think you are mistaken my thread with either BWG or Dennis . You should thanks them. I still have the runflats, and have never posted anything regarding spare tire.
You're welcome - I'm sure I've plagiarized other ideas from you, so please keep any good thoughts. But yeah, it's one of my special abilities - being a dummy.

Should have been @Bgw70 as Spare Tire Installation with Photos - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion is the source that got me going.

THANK YOU (belatedly) Bgw70.

Last edited by oneround; 09-19-21 at 12:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oneround:
Bgw70 (09-20-21), GmanSC (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 05:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

You're welcome - I'm sure I've plagiarized other ideas from you, so please keep any good thoughts. But yeah, it's one of my special abilities - being a dummy.

Should have been @Bgw70 as Spare Tire Installation with Photos - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion is the source that got me going.

THANK YOU (belatedly) Bgw70.
anytime Lee, we all get some credit for being participants in the best car forum around ;-)
GmanSC (09-20-21)

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?