SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 How to remove Nav from dash and can any year SC430 nav units be used

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 07:19 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
No worries at all, I was only directing you toward that thread for the instructions on the disassembly not the new radio or any other modification I did to the car.

There are certainly more inexpensive mods you can do with a nice outcome...for now, let's try to fix your NAV screen. Once you get the screen out, go back to the thread where I was working on the screen door motor and tilt motor. You can apply voltage to the motors directly and if they work then you have a different issue (like I did). A 9v battery should make the motors move. Applying the voltage either way is fine, and apply the voltage both ways to check the motor operation in both directions.

If the motors do not work, I posted the part numbers for the motors and I think I listed the company I purchased them from.

If you need help, just give us a shout.

Remember, Retro is an Electrical engineer and Cole is a Mechanical engineer, those guys know a heck of a lot more than me...I am just a technician and enjoy these challenges ;-)

BTW, I am in the Melbourne area, how about you?
We're not all that far apart at all... I am in Oviedo (close to UCF).. It might be in my best interest to pull the unit and test it as you've suggested before buying a replacement... I'll have to sleep on this and/or strike up some conversations with ebayers that are looking to sell a unit..
Old 11-20-15, 03:56 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

It probably depends on the year, but it would be impossible for the screen to do that I think unless it is a film.

I completely disassembled one of the nav displays and the part you touch is a thick piece of lexan plastic. It has a coating (not a film) that is antiglare and linear polarizing. That wears off because it is basically a paint. The rubbing off of this coating is what makes the screens look horrible over time. But it couldn't lift up like that.

You could, if you don't want to disassemble it, run a sharp razor down the edges and peel the film out that way if it is stuck under the edges. Because it is a thick chunk of plastic, it won't damage your screen.

I am not sure what year it happened, but Lexus did switch to a thinner LCD and a different type of touchscreen. But either way, your actual screen is safely behind a piece of glass or plastic.

There is a defect that can happen with plastic where it spiderwebs inside the plastic itself, but it doesn't look like that either. It would look more like a snowflake forming. That is either a film in front of or behind the thick plastic. Getting to the back of that screen is not the easiest thing, so someone would have had to put an awful lot of effort into putting a film behind it for no good reason. However, putting a film on the front under the edges would only require removing the bezel which is not too difficult.

To test if it is a film, I would poke at it with a razor in a corner and see if I can get the blade under it.

Last edited by Retroplay; 11-20-15 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 04:05 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

This is what is in front of your screen

Old 11-20-15, 04:14 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Retro, I have a question. When some on here have stated that they have finger prints on the screen they can't clean off. Do you think maybe it is actually wear on the anti glare coating? Not really finger prints.
Old 11-20-15, 04:16 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

If you do decide to dive into your dash, I would recommend getting a set of trim tools like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDE-12-pcs-A...094128&vxp=mtr

The U-Shaped pieces will fit into your vents to release the clips.
Old 11-20-15, 04:20 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Retro, I have a question. When some on here have stated that they have finger prints on the screen they can't clean off. Do you think maybe it is actually wear on the anti glare coating? Not really finger prints.

Yep. That is exactly what it is. Fingers rub the coating off. Or the oils from your fingers being left on there spoil the coating. The discoloration is caused by being exposed to UV for a long time.

I actually just cut out a piece of Lexan to replace mine for the one I am working on converting. Of course, it will require attaching films to it to get the polarizer back.
Old 11-20-15, 05:59 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
If you do decide to dive into your dash, I would recommend getting a set of trim tools like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDE-12-pcs-A...094128&vxp=mtr

The U-Shaped pieces will fit into your vents to release the clips.
I have half of the tools but no U shaped pieces... dang it... back to the eBay shopping cart.
Old 11-21-15, 04:54 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Retro, Thanks for the GREAT advice!!! I will go out tomorrow and test a corner like you suggested... it's a very weird thing, thats for sure.
So, I followed the link to ebay and was about to pull the trigger on the kit and thought I'd check amazon for the same thing (just to give me reassurance that ebay had the best price)
I found this, and pulled the trigger on it. I know, big deal, they are 6 bucks cheaper on amazon, but I'll have them in two days
Amazon.com: HDE 12 pcs Auto Pry Tools Kit Door Trim Panel Dash Stereo Radio Interior Light Removal: Automotive Amazon.com: HDE 12 pcs Auto Pry Tools Kit Door Trim Panel Dash Stereo Radio Interior Light Removal: Automotive
Old 11-21-15, 05:04 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hockeydad1
Hi Retro, Thanks for the GREAT advice!!! I will go out tomorrow and test a corner like you suggested... it's a very weird thing, thats for sure.
So, I followed the link to ebay and was about to pull the trigger on the kit and thought I'd check amazon for the same thing (just to give me reassurance that ebay had the best price)
I found this, and pulled the trigger on it. I know, big deal, they are 6 bucks cheaper on amazon, but I'll have them in two days
Amazon.com: HDE 12 pcs Auto Pry Tools Kit Door Trim Panel Dash Stereo Radio Interior Light Removal: Automotive

Great investment. You'll probably end up using them many times. The forked tools are used to pull up upholstery clips. The key looking tool is meant to slip in tight spaces to release clips. Some hooks for grabbing and pulling wires, etc...

Another tip: If you are trying to open something that has several clips around it, get a pack of guitar picks. You can slide them into the clips to keep them from locking again as you work your way around.