SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 and the Jag XK8 Image Factor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 02:57 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much for your input. I’m just about sold (85%) on the Lex. That top is hard to beat and every time I see one of you Lex drivers in front of me I can’t believe how sweet the tail end looks (a little like a 911 but nicer). Also most people who have seen the inside of the SC seem to all be amazed (including myself) at the attention to detail right down to the Lex logos behind the headrests. I guess the SC really is a classy auto too.

I have to say it impressed me that the 2003 KX8’s soft top can open and close via remote with no levers to pull. The down side is that Jag needs to have made an auto boot cover for that soft top.

Ltauamkau: You’re right the XK8/XKR coupes do look very nice too.
Old 04-15-03, 06:35 AM
therocker
Rookie

No matter how much you care about image, the quality of the car has to be the most important. The SC beats the Jag on both these points. Throw in the excellent Lexus service and the retractable hardtop and your decision is easier. When you take into account that the Jag style has been around for a long time and the Lexus is still relatively fresh looking , your choice becomes clear. If image is really important then get a Viper and let me come by and drive it!

Last edited by therocker; 04-15-03 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-17-03, 12:56 AM
vx430
Driver School Candidate

I don't know too much about Jags but from a SLK 320 to the SC 430, I felt a bit older driver a Lex. There really is no comparision except the Mercedes and the Lexus are both hardtop converts. I guess to me, the SLK has more of a roadster feel and the SC is more on the luxury coupe end. Well, I would have thought that a better comparison would be the XK8 vs SL 500
Old 04-17-03, 02:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Get the Lex...

Calikid- I'm pretty unbiased because I happen to think the XK8 is one of the most gorgeous cars ever to roll off the assembly line. However, everywhere I go in my SC430 I get compliments or the "thumbs up" sign. And there seems to be no particular age group... I've had everyone from old to middle-aged to teenagers comment. I entered a neighborhood the other night and a group of teenagers standing at the entrance all gave me the thumbs up sign. A few weeks ago, a middle-aged couple in a parking lot ran over to the car when I was putting the top up and said they just had to look inside.

But this morning was the best... I was in rush hour traffic in Miami (where EVERYONE is complacent about cars), totally minding my own business, when a truck full of people next to me honked their horn and a woman stuck her head out of the window and said "beautiful car!"

Believe me, I'm not the least bit image-conscious... I bought the car because I enjoy it... but I can't imagine anything else that attracts more positive attention, even the XK8. And 7 months and 12,000 miles later, not one unexpected visit to the shop!

Good luck with your decision.

DSeag2
Old 04-17-03, 02:18 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Lex definitely gets more attention than any other car. As far as being dependable and reliable....no contest. It's basically a Toyota at heart and the Jag is British made (not known for making reliable automobiles).it's a Ford at heart.
Old 04-17-03, 02:27 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And actually, the Jag got better when Ford took over... which isn't saying much
Old 04-17-03, 06:51 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

dseag2: Call it the show biz bug in me but I can honestly admit that I do like a little (alot) friendly attention. Sounds like I need to be driving an SC in FL

I'm now 95% sold on the SC......I've test driven one a few times and am very happy with the ride......I guess I'll just take a test drive in the Jag on my way to the Lexus dealer. Basically it's from this one next car to being able to choose a few at a time, within 3 years from now. I have a feeling that when I am able to afford any car that I may really want to have an SC in the stable too....having said that then I guess my search should be over.

Can't wait to join you all in Lex heaven.....will be just in time for summer
Old 04-19-03, 09:18 AM
LexFather

I like the Cayenne too Larry

I am 25 BTW, so I can relate. Image wise, Jaguar HAD the upper edge but their quality problems have spread to the masses. Even non-gearheads know they are not reliable. Add the fact that they are owned by Ford (and people associate that as a negative mostly) and the S-type is considered avg, their image is taking a beating. Their DOWNFALL is now trying to sell MORE cars. The X-type has been a HUGE failure for Jaguar and has hurt quality as well as the image of the brand. The X-type really, really hurt their image. I used to think Jaguar=Benz=BMW, but now I consider it an "other" luxury car brand.

The Big DOGS
BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz

Those other guys:
Acura
Audi (great cars but still lacking a distinctive image, they are 1 great car away from joining the top)
Infiniti
Volvo
Saab
Jaguar
Cadillac
Lincoln
anyone else?
Old 04-27-03, 08:23 AM
mbanks21
Driver School Candidate

Get an M3 Cnvt!!!!!!!!!!! (PLus the X5 rated 10x's better than the Cayenne!)