SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 and the Jag XK8 Image Factor

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 12:52 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 430 and the Jag XK8 Image Factor

Please don’t get all upset people but then again Lex owners are not the same as those BMW owners.

Okay so I live in Southern Cali and I am a 26 year old business man. I plan to purchase either the SC 430 or a Jag KX8 Convertible very soon. I love convertibles but more important to me is the image factor of the car I’ll be driving daily. I know the re-sale value of the Lex can’t be beat by the Jag as well as the reliability of the Lex. I plan to keep the car for only 2 to 3 years and it will be a purchase not a lease.

What do you all think about the image (honestly) of the SC vs. the XK8 for a young business man who has had some success and is on his way to greater successes? It may sound silly to some of you but you really are what you drive here in Los Angeles.
Old 04-12-03, 01:12 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

Don't get me wrong! I love the Lex with its very different looks. It seems like they have another winner which may stand the test of time just like the SC 400 did (still looks good). Then again the Jag is a very timeless design too.

Hmmm I guess if I could stomach spending 100k + on the SL500 I would be able to have the best of what the Lex and the Jag have to offer?

Another question: Is the Lex just a 2nd banana to the SL500? I don't want to pull up next to an SL and feel like I would be driving that if I had spent more cash. Then again MB's aren't what they used to be and that SL interior is just to high-tech meets cheap plastics to me. It's as if the SC interior is what the SL should have been. Is it just me or is Mercedes getting too Japanese where as Japanese automakers are going Euro?
Old 04-12-03, 07:34 PM
argentx
Driver School Candidate

I've owned both, a 1997 XK8 and a 2002 SC430. Overall the Jag is a great car, but I feel a bit staid and maybe has an image of an older owner than what you're looking for. The Lexus is equally as good of a car; actually much more technologically advanced than the jag.

The Jag isn't going to turn as many heads as the Lexus in my opinion. Otherwise I think both cars are so similar it's scary. Same fake back seat, same power roof, same smooth ride, same build quality.

Richard
Old 04-13-03, 01:57 AM
Arvin
Rookie

I am 21, no one has ever said SC430 is a too mature car for me yet....and I do look like 20 years old.

I love the XK8, once there was a used one in my local dealer when I took my car to service. I was all around that XK8, but my girlfriend said the XK8 is a too mature car for me...so you get my point.

I love the SL500 too, but between the SL500 and SC430, I will still choose the SC430 unless Mercedes update the DVD Nav and in dash 6 CD changer in the SL500.

but if money is not a matter. I will choose a SL55 AMG( ) over all the SC, XK.

Last edited by Arvin; 04-13-03 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 07:25 AM
DropTop430
Driver

A major selling point for me was the hard top roof on the Lexus. I have owned one other convert with a cloth top, and I hate them.

When my roof is up my SC is as rigid as a regular coupe and quiet as well.

That is a major selling point of both the SC430 and the SL500 and I for one think that shouldn't be over looked...
Old 04-13-03, 10:37 AM
argentx
Driver School Candidate

The XK8's roof is triple lined, not like a conventional ragtop at all. when it was up it was as solid and as quiet as the SC 430 is. The only problem I had with it was that when it rained the water would drip down the roof and into the driver's window if you had it rolled down. That was really the only beef I had with that car.

Richard
Old 04-13-03, 04:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I've looked at the XKR coupe (which I prefer over the convertible) before I bought my SC430, and I like the sleek but conservative design, but the seat of the Jag is not very good, like most other Jags. That plus the fact the Lexus has a retractable hardtop, better reputation in quality and reliability sealed the deal for the SC430 for me.
Old 04-13-03, 05:12 PM
helper
Driver School Candidate

Default Check the resale

I have owned a number of Jaguars recently. THe XKR and XK8 are gorgeous head turning cars, but with a downside. The resale for Jaguars has never recovered from years ago when there were huge quality problems. Several magazines say they are getting less reliable again. Regardless, unless you plan to lease, get the Lexus. The Jag resale is horrible, so much so that my dealer who carries a several luxury brands, said do not consider any Jaguar unless you plan to keep it for a long, long time. Check the edmunds web site www.edmunds.com, or KBB.com to compare total costs of ownership, and resale before making a firm decision.
Old 04-13-03, 07:47 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default WHY I CHOSE LEXUS

Helper;
I own two Lexi,SC 430 and LS 430 and Toyota 4-Runner. I paid cash for the LS and SC. I present that statement not as a boast but rather to establish the fact that I could buy MB,BMW, JAG or whatever.
I chose the SC for the steel top, quality and dependability. I also have had rag-tops and never again. But most importantly I purchase a car to provide reliable transportation. I have owned Porsches and neither compare to the reliability of Lexus. The only time I have been to the service department is for routine maintenance. Both of my Lexi have been trouble free, I put gas in and GO. As for design/image I find the SC gets many compliments and presents a successful image. In summation I beleive you get both depandability and image with an SC and it isn't in the shop all the time.
Ron
Old 04-14-03, 12:59 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a Jag XJS V12 in the past and the reliablity was terrible. Also a BMW 325I Convertible, if you keep a car with a soft top for more than 3 years you run the risk of replacing either the entire top, rear window (if plastic), rubber seals. The retractble hardtop is the way to go. The SC top up looks like a bad coupe, top down like a bad coupe with no top LOL Why pay more for the Jag when it is using inferior technology with respect to the top,

I agree with the others, the image you will have with the Jag is one that you are old/older. Therefore people with think you are much older or you are in your mommy and daddy's car. Jags will impress the older crowd and older women, whereby the Lex will impress all and especially young Hot chicks. If you trick the car out like Mean Gene's you can park next to any MB Jag or BMW and represent as strong if not stronger.
Old 04-14-03, 04:13 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus represents elegant Luxury unlike the showy MB , or the rusty BMW. I personally felt Jag is made for people over 50+ and its' horrible QA never interests me.

SC430 will definitely represent a young successful businessman like yourself, elegant /high class but nothing over exaggerating. plus nothing beats hardtop automatic fold down.
Old 04-14-03, 06:20 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, all kidding aside..............If you are a businessman and take clients to dinner, lunch, etc, In my opinion the Porsche Ceyanne S (turbo) would make one hell of an impression.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-03, 06:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

That thing is ugly Larry.
Old 04-14-03, 07:07 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To each his own I guess.
Old 04-14-03, 02:27 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayanne....UgggggLLLLyyyyyy!

Check out the Infiniti FX45.

TjZ

Last edited by Tjz; 04-14-03 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: SC 430 and the Jag XK8 Image Factor