SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can not fill up gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15 | 12:12 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Default Can not fill up gas tank

Any you guys had problem with filing up the SC gas tank befor the pump shut off? Yesterday, it happened to me. The car was down to 1/4 tank, so I went to Costco to fill her up. The pump shut off at around 13 bucks, which was only more than 5 gallons. From there on, it kept shut off an on until the tank was filled. I have been purchased gas thee times since I had this car, and this is the first time it happened. Reviewed the maintenance record, I found out that the previous owner also had this problem, complained to Lexus dealer but they could not find the problem and did nothing. Any idea about this?
Old 12-04-15 | 01:31 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Any you guys had problem with filing up the SC gas tank befor the pump shut off? Yesterday, it happened to me. The car was down to 1/4 tank, so I went to Costco to fill her up. The pump shut off at around 13 bucks, which was only more than 5 gallons. From there on, it kept shut off an on until the tank was filled. I have been purchased gas thee times since I had this car, and this is the first time it happened. Reviewed the maintenance record, I found out that the previous owner also had this problem, complained to Lexus dealer but they could not find the problem and did nothing. Any idea about this?
I've had this problem with other cars in the past, but it has always been the pumps fault, not the car.

The part that tells the pump to shut off is a back pressure valve in the pump handle. If the fuel is coming out of the nozzle at a rate faster than your car is accepting it, it shuts off the nozzle. My fix has always been to pull the nozzle out slightly or pump a little slower.

If it is your car, the most often pointed to problem is a kink in the tubing somewhere. Very unlikely though unless you have been in an accident.

Most likely they have the delivery rate set too high at the pump at that station. If it happens to you the next time you fill up, stop back here and we can probably come up with some things to look at.
Old 12-04-15 | 07:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 12-20-15 | 02:20 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Ha, it happened again. I went to Costco yesterday with half of gas tank. It took me several minutes to fill her up. I had to pump with the ....slow....snail.... speed. Any quick release of gas, the nozzle popped out. Like I said, the previous owner noticed and had the same problem, he complained to Lexus dealer but did not get resolved.
Now, I need to go to Lexus again to see if they can find out anything.
Old 12-20-15 | 03:06 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Most pumps these days have springs on the nozzles. This for the most part keeps you from inserting it to far into your filler tube. If to put it in to far you can partially block off the vent tube that goes from the gas tank to the upper portion of your filler tube. Do these pumps have sprung on the nozzle or are they short? Let us know if this is it or not, thanks.
Old 12-20-15 | 03:27 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

I too have that problem once a while and it happens on all my three cars. You can insert the pump then turn it side way either to the left (9 o'clock) or right (3 o'clock). It has been working well for me like that.
Old 12-20-15 | 08:05 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Most pumps these days have springs on the nozzles. This for the most part keeps you from inserting it to far into your filler tube. If to put it in to far you can partially block off the vent tube that goes from the gas tank to the upper portion of your filler tube. Do these pumps have sprung on the nozzle or are they short? Let us know if this is it or not, thanks.
No, I don't think the nozzles at Costco have spring but you can not see because the rubber sleeve. You have to put the nozzle far enough into the tank so the rubber sleeve presses against the tank opening and seals. If the nozzle does not seal, it won't pump.
The problem I think is somehow the gas shot back into the nozzle and triggered the release. I owned more than ten cars in my life and this is the first has this problem.
Old 12-20-15 | 08:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bb430
I too have that problem once a while and it happens on all my three cars. You can insert the pump then turn it side way either to the left (9 o'clock) or right (3 o'clock). It has been working well for me like that.
Thanks for the infos. I'll try that.
Old 12-21-15 | 02:25 PM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

I found that not inserting the nozzle in as far made it not shut off. Not sure if you Ca(or any state that requires the rubber DD) guys can do this.
Old 12-24-15 | 05:49 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

This has also happened to me several times at Costco with our SC only, no other cars. I typically try to put the fuel in at a slower flow rate, but that can even be difficult. A couple of times I pulled up to the next pump because it was so difficult and the problem went away. Also, not sure if it is related, but I've seen a tanker truck unloading fuel at the same time I'm try fill up the SC with fuel and wonder if because the reservoir tanks are low that it is somehow related. Again, it has not happened to any other vehicles that we own, only the SC, and it just happened the other day. It was painstaking to fill it up with the pump turning off at an almost regular frequency even when adding fuel at a minimum flow rate.
Old 12-24-15 | 09:13 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I'll try next time with other gas stations other than Costco to see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-02-19 | 10:50 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Default It happens again

Went to Costco this morning to fill up the SC and this gas filling premature shut off happened again. It takes forever to fill up the tank.
For awhile, I thought the problem went away. Guess not. Anyone experiences this.
Old 12-02-19 | 11:31 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

GmanSC

What's the rush? You are retired now so you have no place to be and your not in a hurry to get there. If you can't get it filled today you always have tomorrow. It's the retired life. It takes awhile to get it down but you will get there give it time.

Dennis
Old 12-02-19 | 01:36 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by djwldw
gmansc

what's the rush? You are retired now so you have no place to be and your not in a hurry to get there. If you can't get it filled today you always have tomorrow. It's the retired life. It takes awhile to get it down but you will get there give it time.

Dennis
lol...rotf...!!
Old 12-02-19 | 02:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

On the LS there was a recall or TSB for the filler pipe on certain years if I remember correctly. My 04 gave me a little trouble here and there with this. I believe it has to do with back-pressure triggering the nozzle to stop. Safety system so gas does not go squirting out of the tank once full. As mentioned, try turning it to the side or upside down. Also try setting the lever at half flow rate or less. I believe the only real fix is to have the filler tube replaced. I have not experienced this issue on my 06. Honestly, it's kind of nice not pumping your own gas. Gotta love Jersey... Lol

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-02-19 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Can not fill up gas tank