SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why does the SC430 have a V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 08:51 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Retro, try the transmission mod upgrade before jumping to the Sprint Booster. I really think that changing the setting from soft to firm really eliminates that "lag" when you mash the accelerator. If you search for "trans pressure mod," you'll find all the info you need. I use the sprint booster but very rarely, and it eats a lot of gas. Only when actually challenged by competition at a stop light. The trans pressure mod is something that is there all the time and actually helps improves gas mileage. Check it out and let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

UPDATE: Harold beat my response. Darn.... but yes, the ECU reset would also help and should be the first thing you try and see if you feel any difference. And he's referring to "gate shifting." Which I don't recommend, or much less do myself. Just read a few things in the past that gate shifting can be fun but can cause transmission problems in the future. Anyway, I think if you did the trans mod, you will be crazy happy with it.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 12-10-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 09:21 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Retroplay, a lot of the annoying hesitation or sluggish pedal responses have to do with the ECU controlling the transmission. (I'm sure that you've already read this before but just in case, I'll bring it back up.)

I figured as much. My Hyundai Sonata (2.7L 6-cyl) had this same ETM intelligence in the "Sportstronic" transmission with pretty much the same result. Whenever I was in congested traffic for a bit, it was just embarrassing trying to accelerate. And other times, it would pin the passenger against the seat on launch. It was very annoying.

I'll definitely give the key trick a try.

Shawn, thanks for the feedback on the sprint booster. I got that impression from your initial review, I had just wondered if it had changed over time. At $300, my engineering mind kicks in and wonders if I could just make it myself. It would be kind of neat to have a variety of shifting patterns available besides just economy, power and "snow" (feels like driving through water.) Or maybe even the ability to just turn off the learning completely.

I have read so many good feedback on the valve adjustment, that I have it on my must-do list.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-10-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 10:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
... he's referring to "gate shifting." Which I don't recommend, or much less do myself. Just read a few things in the past that gate shifting can be fun but can cause transmission problems in the future. Anyway, I think if you did the trans mod, you will be crazy happy with it.
Shawn, what have you read about that? I know some folks that use the gear shift to manually run through the gears all the time and don't have any problems, so this is news to me. (One in particular has over 150k miles on his SC430.) What kind of problems does it cause? (It would seem odd that Lexus would make the option available if they didn't want you to use it or if they expected repercussions as a result of the use.)
Old 12-10-15, 10:34 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Shawn, what have you read about that? I know some folks that use the gear shift to manually run through the gears all the time and don't have any problems, so this is news to me. (One in particular has over 150k miles on his SC430.) What kind of problems does it cause? (It would seem odd that Lexus would make the option available if they didn't want you to use it or if they expected repercussions as a result of the use.)
I've just read lots of articles about it over my formative years. Lots of back and forth on the subject, so I figure why risk it. If you google search, "Gate shifting problems," or "gate shifting transmission problems," or "manually shifting an automatic," you will get lots of articles. Just have to read through it and make your own judgement. I feel that they cars have the lower gears for different situations. For example when I was travelling east to Virginia I had to drop the car into a lower gears through the Cumberland Gap/Pass (lots of mountainous terrain).

Last edited by ShawnOk; 12-10-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 10:39 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I've just read lots of articles about it over my formative years. Lots of back and forth on the subject, so I figure why risk it. If you google search, "Gate shifting problems," or "gate shifting transmission problems," you will get lots of articles. Just have to read through it and make your own judgement.

I had always been told that you could not override the ETM in an automatic transmission so if conditions were not safe to shift, it would not. However, I can confirm to you that you can slam an automatic transmission into reverse while driving down the road (don't ask me how I found that out - lol.) In that case, it felt like hitting a brick wall and the entire car stalled. No actual damage caused to the transmission, though.

It would make some sense that it would wear the transmission out sooner as you are shifting at non-optimal RPMs selected for longevity. Perhaps that's what they mean?
Old 12-10-15, 10:47 AM
Bathman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Guys
Everyone has their own preference but I feel on any length of a trip the racket from that exhaust would soon wipe the smile off my face for one, no pleasure in driving around in a german washing machine even if its a road legal race car. I bet it only made it look quick because it was going downhill LOL
Old 12-10-15, 11:08 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Are we talking gate shifting on on the five speed? Or the six speed that has manual mode? Heat is what kills automatic transmissions. If your in a situation where the transmission keeps shifting between gears. It is creating a lot of heat. Like Shawn used it in the mountains to keep it from pecking for gears. he was helping his transmission. If you manually use to constantly run at high rpm even when cursing at a steady speed. You are going to cause more wear on the transmission, engine, and engine components that are effected by higher rpm. If you do it when you want that high speed acceleration. I don't see the big deal. The ECU will not let the engine over rev anyway. It will cut fuel and spark to prevent damage. So I guess I'm saying prolonged high speed is the problem, not not high rpm shifting when you want it here and there.
Old 12-10-15, 11:59 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bathman
Sorry Guys
Everyone has their own preference but I feel on any length of a trip the racket from that exhaust would soon wipe the smile off my face for one, no pleasure in driving around in a german washing machine even if its a road legal race car. I bet it only made it look quick because it was going downhill LOL
By no means fast by todays standard, the 2006-2010 BMW M5 (e60 M5) was an engineering masterpiece and was the standard at the time by which all other 4 door sports sedans were measured. At just over 4 second 0-60, just over 12 seconds quarter mile, and top speed at 204 MPH, I wouldn’t say it was slow.

The 5.0 liter V10 at a conservative rating of 507 HP was the first naturally aspirated production engine to hit over 100 HP per liter. The BMW V10 and 7 speed SMG transmission as a unit was designed by the BMW Formula One Racing Team and won several International Engine of the Year awards for a few years in a row during that time.

The car has to be experienced to be appreciated, the V10 Formula One engine note combined with up/down shifting of the 7 speed paddle shifter SMG is a thrill to drive and in its stock form, the exhaust generates a pleasant sound at cruising speed but screams to the 8,400 rpm red-line.

You can pick one up these days for around the $25k to $30k but that doesn’t mean you have the cost-of-ownership of a $25k to $30k Honda. The cost-of-ownership is still that of a $100k sports car. No doubt if the M5 had the same cost-of-ownership and reliability as my SC430 I’d still have the BMW.

Since they are similarly priced and engineering, quality of materials, and fit/finish are about the same, I’m willing to bet if cost-of-ownership and reliability were the same too, there is no one on this Forum after driving the V10 BMW M5 would say; “I think I’ll take the SC430 over the M5”, unless you were dead set on having a 2 door hard-top convertible.

No One…

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 12-10-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 03:39 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Are we talking gate shifting on on the five speed? Or the six speed that has manual mode?
The 2002 - 2005 has the five speed and that is the one we are discussing.
Old 12-10-15, 05:40 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Damn it!

Originally Posted by ogjohnsmit
By no means fast . . . . .

The 5.0 liter V10 . . . . .

The car has to be experienced . . . . .

You can pick one up . . . . .

Since they are similarly priced . . . . .

No One…
I've been lusting after one like this.

The sound is intoxicating and I would only get it in a six-speed manual. I would have to trade my SC430 for it and I just can't justify that. Those M5's sure are sweet cars though.

On the topic of the OP, if you want a V8 that sounds like a hot rod, buy a hot rod. If you want a V8 magic carpet ride, buy a Lexus 4.3L.
Old 12-11-15, 07:42 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

In a world where 9 mile per gallon, expensive to engineer engines will soon become extinct, this one was mine, one of the last V10s;

Maybe someday when I’m in a position to own a true Garage Queen I’d get one again but definitely not as a daily driver, and definitely not trade in my SC for it either.

Anyway back on topic, I totally agree with StillLine. Having owned about 30 cars since I was able to drive, I’ve owned and modified Mustangs, Porsche, Mercedes, Infiniti, BMWs, Turbo Diesel Trucks, and the list goes on.

So I’d say from personal experience and a lot of wasted $$$, my advice is if you want a car that’s a certain way than buy that car. It never really worked out for me trying to make the car I had in to something it’s not. That is unless you really, really, really enjoy (and I don't); constantly modifying and troubleshooting, and troubleshooting some more (actually more than actual driving) and having zero return on investment of time and money and in the end I was still never satisfied.

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 12-11-15 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-11-15, 10:45 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem with the M5 is that you need a can opener to get the top down on a nice day. LOL
Old 12-11-15, 12:37 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Problem with the M5 is that you need a can opener to get the top down on a nice day. LOL
You don't have to go through that trouble, you just get the M6 convertable instead