Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Keep us posted. Interested to hear what they have to say
Old 01-04-16, 07:56 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

JDinco, I feel your pain in regards to the paint.... I AM AN ENTHUSIAST (as reflected by the near 1500 posts and tons of "one-off" mods I've done on my car) and I would be losing my ***** if chunks of paint were falling off my car. In regards to comment which sparked the heat in this thread, I'm still lost on the point of the brashness of posts. With that being said, I have a black SC430 and I have always gone to an automatic car wash for nearly the last 13 years, almost weekly. I rarely hand wash as I live in an apartment complex and there's no public hose for tenants. I usually just do a basic wash and then either hand wax or use wax spray. No one has ever told me that a Black SC shouldn't go to an automatic car wash. Seems like bs to me. Anyway, don't let that comment eat you up. Still not sure how it was implied. It's too bad about your paint. I would also guess that it's a repainted door that might not have been primed properly. Unfortunately, it's worth a try to contact Lexus but I doubt they will do anything substantial. I had a dash "bubble" problem due to poor adhesive and at max they offered to pay 50% on a $1k+ repair. Anyway, I hope you stay with this forum and don't let the rare and few between jabs get to you. Usually this forum is a great team with lots of resources as we all have different backgrounds/experience with automobiles. Good luck with the paint, keep us posted.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-04-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 08:21 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you do a color change you will have to paint a lot of areas then just painting it back to OEM color. As I have said mine is black as well and yes it can be a lot of work but from my point of view its worth it. Keep us posted curious to see what you fine out

GO EAGLES GO FAR FAR AWAY
Old 01-04-16, 04:58 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinco
.Johnny Cakes can bite me, you come across like a know it all snob, I've been on this board a long time and read it regularly. One of the main reasons I sold my BMW was that all of the other BMW owners I met were such jerks that it distracted from the car. It appears there is some of the same with Lexus owners. I apologize for even thinking of posting here. a holes. I'm done and gone, no need to reply any further. I hope you all have flat tires on a regular basis.....thanks for nothing.
Hey, I'm really sorry -- I didn't have a helpful answer and so I was just trying to be funny. One unfortunate thing about forums and the Internet is that you can't see people's faces to help interpret their comments. I was just trying to make light of a bad situation. I hope you get your situation resolved in a good way. And again, I sure didn't mean to offend.

(and I do seem to get a lot of flat tires, so your wish has come true! )
Old 01-04-16, 06:19 PM
jdinco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem Johnny Cakes, I took it wrong, thought I was being kicked while I was down. Anyway, you guys were right, I was wrong, I took it to 3 of the (supposed) best shops in town, including the one the Lexus dealer uses. The drivers door and half of the quarter panel have been repainted. Appears that there was a repair on the rear edge of the door and perhaps on the quarter panel right behind the back edge of the door. Quotes range from $1200. to $2000. to strip it, see what's under the paint, repair it and repaint it.

It took me a long time to get this car, I had it inspected before purchase and checked the Carfax, so I'm a bit disappointed that this slipped thru. The good news is that I got a good deal on the car, (which should have been a red flag!) so even with the repair, I'm not over the going rate for the car. The previous owner claims complete ignorance concerning any paint or repairs. I have my doubts about that, I specifically ask if the car had been hit and he said no. But it probably doesn't matter, no way to prove anything being the 3rd owner. Figure I'll suck it up, get it repaired and move on. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight! Thanks to EVERYONE for the replies, the support is appreciated.
Old 01-04-16, 11:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it has to be reported to Carfax if the damage is under a certain amount. Also, as someone suggested, maybe they got a scratch or small dent (rock,door,etc...) & had it painted. The body shop may have done a blend to keep the paint from looking different on the door, compared to the quarter panel. My Sc has never had a full paint job,but when adding my body kit, they did blend the paint up into the hood & rear fenders to make everything match

Old 01-05-16, 07:37 AM
jdinco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one beautiful SC Texsexlex !! Did you do any suspension mods? The too soft suspension is the only complaint I have on this car.
Old 01-05-16, 07:52 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

As far as car fax goes it's one tool. Not all shops participate with car fax(meaning that don't report to them). There are even dealerships that don't. Their can be lots of work nor reported to car fax both body and mechanical. I would say only about half of the mechanical work done on my cars shows on the car fax. Some of that is even from dealership. My Lexus repair report and car fax report do not match up 100%. Car fax is a good tool but it is just that one tool. My Land Rover shows an accident. A rock broke my left headlight. Car fax says front end damage minor drivable. Byall means read the car fax, but know things may not be as read.
Old 01-05-16, 10:10 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinco
That is one beautiful SC Texsexlex !! Did you do any suspension mods? The too soft suspension is the only complaint I have on this car.
...thank you....yes I've done some. I added Tein Sport Springs which dropped the car 2 inches, this totally eliminated the "softness", but didn't take away from the ride at all. It actually feels so much better than factory. Some bumps are harsher than before,since the springs are shorter,but they keep your butt from bottoming out...lol...I also added the Is rear sway bay & I have Bilstein shocks on the rear with KYB's on the front. I have the bigger front sway bar,but haven't added it yet. I want to buy the same parts that Bgw70 used in his upgrade, then do all the work at the same time....but I definitely love the ride soooo much bettter