SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New discovery (New to me) - Electronic controlled exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 03:50 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New discovery (New to me) - Electronic controlled exhaust

So, we all love a throaty growl on a V8, but many of us don't want to tick off the neighbors. At least that's my thoughts. I had been looking at options to add a little more growl to the SC430 but not so much that I wake the entire neghborhood when I leave for work in the morning.

Well, I stumbled on a few different things while I was poking around for something (actually unrelated):

First, there are catback electronic bypasses. These switch a valve and re-route the exhaust at the flip of a switch. Want quiet, stock muffler sound? Flip the switch. Want that deleted sound? Flip the switch.

Amazon.com: 3" Electric Exhaust Catback/Downpipe Cutout Valve System Kit with Remote: Automotive Amazon.com: 3" Electric Exhaust Catback/Downpipe Cutout Valve System Kit with Remote: Automotive

Or, a silencer built directly into an exhaust. I think this one might be variable:

Amazon.com: High Performance Electric Electronic Remote Wireless Control Inlet 3" Outlet 4" Tip Chrome Exhaust Muffler Sound Silencer: Automotive Amazon.com: High Performance Electric Electronic Remote Wireless Control Inlet 3" Outlet 4" Tip Chrome Exhaust Muffler Sound Silencer: Automotive

I bet many here knew about this already, but this is completely new to me, so I assume it would be new to others.

*Note: There are probably better quality or better priced alternates for the parts listed. I just posted the links for examples.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-05-16 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 08:10 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Many styles of those have been around for many decades. They used to be mechanical like a manual choke. Ive seen Chip Foose use one on an episode of his. A lot of guys who use there daily driver for track days use them.
Old 01-05-16, 04:20 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

The setup you're referring to is called an "electric cut out". There was a SC430 owner on this forum who was installed an electric cut out. He had lots of problems and dash lights. I can't recall the thread but I'm sure it all depends where you do the cut out. I'll try to find the thread.

BOOM--> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...st-cutout.html
This is same topic, but not the one with the owner who experienced problems.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-05-16 at 04:23 PM.