SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Window Leak and Antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 10:55 AM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Leak and Antenna question

I took my 2003 SC 430 through a high pressure brushless car wash to remove bugs from a road trip. I had small amount of water leak through the windows on both the driver and passenger sides and between the front and back side window. My dealer said this is normal due to the construction of the retractable roof and its contact with the windows.. Is that true?

Also I'm having a problem with the rear antenna not going all the way down. It sticks up about 2 inches after the radio is turned off. Any suggestions? Is there a motor problem?

The car is great but definitely more little problems and rattles than with my GS 300.

Thanks
Old 04-18-03, 11:12 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wheezemd- I only hand wash my SC, but I've noticed a few droplets of water on the inside of the window after washing... never enough to be concerned about. Re: the radio antenna, I have read in previous threads that it adjusts based on the radio signal, meaning that it may be halfway up for one radio station and all the way up for another. Re: rattles, I had them too (dash, passenger seat, roof) until I replaced the Bridgestone Potenza runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport non-runflats. Many on this forum have done the same with similar results. It's amazing... all the rattles are gone. Bottom line... you just can't put a car through so much jolting as you do with these runflats and not create rattles. The Michelin Pilot Sports are great, and I just carry a can of Fix-a-flat in the trunk. Hope that helps.

DSeag2
Old 04-18-03, 12:14 PM
js45
Driver School Candidate

I regularly use a touchless car wash and have never had any leaks. Sounds like the seals around your windows are faulty. I would have the dealer replace them under warranty. There should be NO leaks.

Also, if the radio is off the antenna should retract completely PERIOD. It is probably just a computer chip problem. Again the dealer should fix this under warranty.

Assuming you SC is relatively new, you should have the reformulated runflats that are now standard. I have had no issues with rattles but I am not sure under what conditions you are driving. I am driving on generally well-maintained roads with the occasional bad patch. I have not experienced any undue harshness in my ride. I think that anyone that purchased an SC prior to calendar year 2003 has more of an issue with the runflats. Plus you also have the factor that those who have problems are more likely to be heard from than those that don't which would skew your perception if that is all you hear.

WIth a car like this I expect flawless performance under normal conditions. Anything less the dealer should rectify without question or extra cost to you. Any dealer that doesn't is not deserving of their business. They all make a big deal out of reliability and customer service. Hold them to it.

Last edited by js45; 04-18-03 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-18-03, 01:16 PM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. I will see the service manager Wednesday and make sure everything is done.
Old 04-18-03, 07:00 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default WHEEZEMD

I also have an 03 SC 430. Window water leaks:NONE. Radio antenna:Retracts fully when radio is off. Service manager should correct all under warranty.
As for run-flats, I have no complaints and no rattles or squeaks. However I haven't had anopportunity to put many miles on the car. With summer approaching I will be using the SC much more, only when it is top-down weather. I will report if rattles or squeaks develop. Same for the run-flats. so far no problem and the ride is good except on rough roads. Will keep you posted.
Ron
Old 04-19-03, 08:13 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Dirty

Although I have not had this problem with my SC430, I do know from past cars that an antenna can simply become dirty over time, and this will prevent full retraction. I always fixed this by cleaning it with WD-40 when the antenna is fully extrnded.

You might try this.

Otherwise, I agree with the others that less than full retraction is probably due to a bad setting in the system which the dealer can correct.

I have never used a car wash, as I have too much time and effort invested in the finish, but I have driven through some heavy rain and never had a drop of water come inside. I would think something is misalligned with one of the big gaskets that seal between the top and the window.

Isn't it nice to have a car with such petty problems instead of really big ones?
Old 04-19-03, 09:59 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You car is fine, a small amount of water will get into the inside portion of the window when I go to the hand car wash and through their very fourceful dryer.

As for the antenna, use some WD40 as suggested.
Old 04-19-03, 07:58 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

I take my sc to the brushless wash the one with the foam type brushes and never had any leaks. My antena also sticks out a few inches sometimes, I just push it in manualy. Doesnt happen very offten but I saw other sc430's with the same problems. My roof, doors, dash also rattles but that due to the road conidtions here my gs400 also ratteled the same way. Doesnt bother me.
Old 04-20-03, 08:22 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

FYI,
when Motortrend tested out a bunch of convertiables (corvette, m3, new thunderbird AND A SC430)

They test out the seals of the SC430 with a hose from the fire department (takes TWO guys to hold this)
AND THEY REPORTED ZERO LEAKS!

your service guy is jerking you, if he says it's normal for it to leak.....