SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aux or Bluetooth option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 10:35 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Aux or Bluetooth option?

Thinking of others here. Would this maybe be a good option for a clean aux or Bluetooth for the older ml stereo? This guy is a bit sloppy, but it looked like a decent idea. I was thinking this could work for Bluetooth also.

Hope this gives helpful ideas.
The following users liked this post:
Sherl (03-03-19)
Old 01-29-16, 06:09 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

GREAT find Cole!
Before I did my radio mod, I gave this mod some thought but did not follow through because I wanted more features from a modern radio.

I bet a Bluetooth device could easily be integrated into the radio...I would run the 3.5mm Jack to the center console because it provides a great place to store the cable and power is available for your phone.
Old 01-29-16, 09:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

There was a guy on Ebay that did this exact mod for our SC430s and charged a fair price You would mail him your radio head unit, he would complete this procedure and send you the radio head unit back. Video is great and awesome DIY. Not sure how similar the steps would be as this seems to be a first gen SC (300 or 400) when compared to the SC430. Seems like a great option though. Who's up for tinkering?

PS. I wish updating the LED's in the SC430's head unit and A/C control were this easy.
Old 01-29-16, 09:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't understand. Why do you have to go thru all that hassle of disassembling and assembling? All you have to do is get the cassette tape adapter. Did I miss something?
Old 01-29-16, 10:04 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Gman, no offense but the tape adapter solution is a little too old school. I have the Vaistech SL3U which was an easy hookup. A little costly. But from most of the posts on this forum, many people have just updated the whole radio headunit with newer 2015 standard features. The tape adapter is a solution that is functional, but a few things arise. One, it seems to be an awful eyesore using very outdated technology in such a sophisticated interior. It really shows the date/generation of the SC430 which according to everyone that compliments my car is still a relevant body style for this century. But it's electronics are way below par. Having a tape deck in the car alone is embarrassing in my opinion. Asking my passenger to connect their fancy new iPhone 6+ with retinal display and all the bells and whistles and blah blah blah to it, is twice as bad. This is why I chose the Bluetooth accessory in addition to the VaisTech SL3U. Two, the quality of sound through the tape deck is hit or miss depending on the adapter. I've had tape adapters in the past that click in the deck every rotation, to ones that have poor sound quality and low background squeal. With the Vaistech and probably with the tear down option above (even though you lose the outdated tape deck feature) the sound would be much clearer up to mp3 quality. I know Retro was working on replacing his tape deck with something custom in it's place. Looking forward to his results.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-29-16 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 10:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

Shawn, I would understand with the Vaistech. I just don't get it what this guy did in the video.
Old 01-29-16, 10:17 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Shawn, I would understand with the Vaistech. I just don't get it what this guy did in the video.
You're absolutely right. I think this was the option before/alternative to the VaisTech, but additionally it can still be done and probably costs WAAAAAY less than a VaisTech Unit. I tried about a dozen different Aux Units that were around the $40 mark (BlitzSafe, iSimple, PAC, etc, etc; none worked) before investing in the VaisTech SL3U. If I had seen this video before I got the VaisTech, I probably would have gone this tear down path. Even though the video above was published in 2015, the method has been around longer, as I remember the Ebay vendor I mentioned previously was around 2010.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-29-16 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 06:03 AM
Coleroad
Racer

I guess outdated, I was thinking when I had read about the cassette adapters. The issue being charging and hiding the cord. I don't use a cell so I'm not up to date on pairing it with the car. The radio isn't a big deal to me , but I read all the posts on it. Trying to learn the issues and fixes. The only thing I miss is xm radio in the sc. I have it in all my other cars.
Old 01-30-16, 08:30 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I added a stand alone XM tuner to my SC. Works with the OEM radio via built-in FM modulation (although it does offer hardwire 3.5mm). Hands down, the BEST FM Modulator I've ever used. Amazingly clear sound. Never drops signal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-install.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-30-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 08:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I added a stand alone XM tuner to my SC. Works with the OEM radio via built-in FM modulationV (although it does offer hardwire 3.5mm). Hands down, the BEST FM Modulator I've ever used. Amazingly clear sound. Never drops signal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-install.html
That is a nice clean install. I had a stand alone xm in my jag for a couple of weeks. It wasn't a clean install like yours. I broke down and got a stereo put in. I just might try it in the sc after seeing the clean install.
Old 01-30-16, 11:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

It was a free mod
Old 01-30-16, 05:58 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Our stereos actually have a set of headers right in it where you can connect an aux jack. No soldering required.

Regarding Bluetooth mod using something like this, that is actually really, really close to what I was doing with my first stereo. I removed the cassette player completely and tricked the stereo into thinking audio was playing because it will not stay in tape mode if there is no audio (the stereo will eject the tape if there is no sound coming out to protect it from broken tapes and switch back to FM or CD.)

I then wired in an Ipod dock bluetooth adapter (turns a normal dock into a bluetooth.)

I had it working, but wasn't fully satisfied enough with my work to show it off. I wanted something a bit more clean so I had started to work on a replacement circuit board that plugged into the spot where the cassette deck plugged in which would fully emulate the cassette deck. I even had a dock printed up, I could slide my iphone 5c into the cassette slot. But then I picked up the 2005 radio and didn't get back to it.

Anyway, if you do use the headers already present, you will have to come up with some silent audio source (radio station with no noise or blank cassette, etc..) The header is already connected to the cassette audio output.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-30-16 at 06:04 PM.