SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tech Stream Software Cable ver 2.0.4

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 07:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Techstream and other scanners relevant. Better understanding of data from mode $06, and how to interpret it. I've been using mode $06, but never tried to explain it on here. It's way to much information to just type it, plus I'm no expert either. I found this video today, it is very long, but very comprehensive. In fact the whole series of videos by this person is absolutely wonderful. https://youtu.be/i0ZRe8gsg6c plus it was time for this thread to be bumped anyway
very awesome find Cole!!! I cannot wait to view this entire video!
i know, very geekish but hey, I am a technician by trade and really enjoy knowing what these tools are telling me!
Old 11-10-18, 09:39 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

So after reading RetroPlay’s posts # 38, 39 & 54, I decided to make an adapter for when I’d actually get my Techstream up and running, I could run it without generating errors. So earlier this year, I finally got around to making the adapter and it is pretty simple. Buy both the male and female versions of the OBD II connectors, connect up only the pertinent signals and leave off the CAN bus signals that cause the VSC error light to show up.

When I finally got around to getting my 4 year old Techstream to work with a laptop (yes, I was not motivated enough until this year to actually use it). I have a 2002 SC430 and when I hooked up the Techstream to diagnose which TPS was bad and which color code to buy, it worked just fine. Afterward, no VSC error light! So the adapter works and no need to go through the reset routine. (Note that this adapter is not needed in the later models that

have the CAN bus in them, I believe that started in 2006?)

Basically, connect up pins 4, 5, 7, 15 & 16 only. None others. I also made this a multipurpose adapter by adding wires to pins 4 & 14 of the connector that plugs into the car’s OBD II connector. That way, if I ever get a VSC error that needs to be cleared, I can just short out those two wires and that will clear the error. (That's what the X is on the connector, so that I'd know which connector to open up and get to the wires. Had I been further motivated, I'd have brought the wires to the outside and connected a switch to it or something like that, but I didn't have the parts and obviously wasn't sufficiently motivated....)

Here are some pictures:

After you build the adapter as shown above, you just hook the adapter to the end of the Techstream and connect the other end of the adapter to your car's OBD II connector and you're ready to diagnose and make changes to your car without generating VSC errors.

Another advantage to this adapter is that the Techstream is not modified and so it can still be used for CAN applications.

Last edited by Harold57; 11-10-18 at 09:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Harold57:
Bgw70 (11-10-18), joemg (07-22-20)
Old 11-10-18, 11:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Well done Harold!
thank you for sharing this excellent information!!!
Old 07-22-20, 01:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
So after reading RetroPlay’s posts # 38, 39 & 54, I decided to make an adapter for when I’d actually get my Techstream up and running, I could run it without generating errors. So earlier this year, I finally got around to making the adapter and it is pretty simple. Buy both the male and female versions of the OBD II connectors, connect up only the pertinent signals and leave off the CAN bus signals that cause the VSC error light to show up.

When I finally got around to getting my 4 year old Techstream to work with a laptop (yes, I was not motivated enough until this year to actually use it). I have a 2002 SC430 and when I hooked up the Techstream to diagnose which TPS was bad and which color code to buy, it worked just fine. Afterward, no VSC error light! So the adapter works and no need to go through the reset routine. (Note that this adapter is not needed in the later models that

have the CAN bus in them, I believe that started in 2006?)

Basically, connect up pins 4, 5, 7, 15 & 16 only. None others. I also made this a multipurpose adapter by adding wires to pins 4 & 14 of the connector that plugs into the car’s OBD II connector. That way, if I ever get a VSC error that needs to be cleared, I can just short out those two wires and that will clear the error. (That's what the X is on the connector, so that I'd know which connector to open up and get to the wires. Had I been further motivated, I'd have brought the wires to the outside and connected a switch to it or something like that, but I didn't have the parts and obviously wasn't sufficiently motivated....)

After you build the adapter as shown above, you just hook the adapter to the end of the Techstream and connect the other end of the adapter to your car's OBD II connector and you're ready to diagnose and make changes to your car without generating VSC errors.

Another advantage to this adapter is that the Techstream is not modified and so it can still be used for CAN applications.
okay Harold, you inspired me...here goes!
gonna add the 4&14 shorting switch, even though I should not need it.

The following users liked this post:
joemg (07-22-20)
Old 07-22-20, 02:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

And it is done...time to go see if it works...thank you Harold for the instructions and inspiration

joemg (07-22-20)
Old 07-22-20, 02:39 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Wow, phenomenal work guys!
The following 2 users liked this post by joemg:
Bgw70 (07-22-20), Harold57 (07-24-20)
Old 07-22-20, 03:10 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I tested it with the new adapter and without...all tests 100% as expected
without adapter, VSC lights, as expected
used builtin 4&14 short switch, result, performed zero point calibration and reset light.
with adapter, no lights generated and full control of all TechStream software.

total cost, $14. I like it!

pics are showing the VSC and VSC OFF lights on

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-22-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 03:30 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey BGW, did you ever consider just cutting the wires on the techstream cable instead of making the adapter? Is there a downside of cutting the unused wires?

Would it be possible just to cut the can bus wire? Any idea which wire that is?
Old 07-22-20, 05:49 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Hey BGW, did you ever consider just cutting the wires on the techstream cable instead of making the adapter? Is there a downside of cutting the unused wires?

Would it be possible just to cut the can bus wire? Any idea which wire that is?
sure and great idea but it was more fun to make the adapter...plus my 2007 Can bus will work with the same cable...with out the adapter.
Old 07-23-20, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Very nicely done BGW!

DshngDaryl, yes, as I mentioned in one of my posts, you can remove the resistors (IIRC) that RetroPlay suggested but then, as BGW alludes, you lose the capability to interface with some other vehicles that utilize the CAN bus.
Bgw70 (07-23-20)
Old 07-23-20, 01:02 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Very nicely done BGW!

DshngDaryl, yes, as I mentioned in one of my posts, you can remove the resistors (IIRC) that RetroPlay suggested but then, as BGW alludes, you lose the capability to interface with some other vehicles that utilize the CAN bus.

Ahhhh! Good point. I didn't consider multi car use.

So I thought maybe I would just buy a cheap extension cable off ebay and then cut the wires on the extension cable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-OBD2-OB...4AAOSwvLteWQvZ

But it appears the ends are molded on, so it doesn't look like i could open them up to access the wires.

The time I spent searching wasn't completely wasted, I did find an interesting chart in one of the ads

Bgw70 (07-23-20)
Old 07-24-20, 07:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Actually, you could. Just open up the cable in the middle with an Xacto knife. (Be very careful cutting through the jacket to not cut any of the wires.) Then once you get to the wires, poke a pin through the insulation jackets one by one and Ohm it out to the connector pins until you find the two you need to cut & terminate or short together (depending on which issue you are trying to solve). Then just tape it back together and you've got an adapter cable. That's a lot easier than the way BGW and I did it.
DshngDaryl (07-27-20)
Old 07-27-20, 11:45 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Actually, you could. Just open up the cable in the middle with an Xacto knife. (Be very careful cutting through the jacket to not cut any of the wires.) Then once you get to the wires, poke a pin through the insulation jackets one by one and Ohm it out to the connector pins until you find the two you need to cut & terminate or short together (depending on which issue you are trying to solve). Then just tape it back together and you've got an adapter cable. That's a lot easier than the way BGW and I did it.
That is a very doable solution.
Old 09-02-20, 11:27 AM
retarded
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moved to different post - wrong thread

Last edited by retarded; 09-02-20 at 11:32 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 02-18-21, 07:09 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This is a link for the TechSteam MVCI Cable Driver