SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc430 trunk and hardtop issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 08:29 PM
sixt33n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 sc430 trunk and hardtop issue

Hi all. First off, I am not sure if both of these issues are related to each other.

I'll start with the trunk problem. A couple months ago I started having issues with the trunk not opening right away. It started taking a couple of times of pressing the key fob and the interior trunk switch to be able to open the trunk. I noticed during that time that it would open easier during hot days and on cold days it would take more tries. Now it has stopped opening completely with both the keyfob and the switch. I hear the beep, and i hear the trunk clicking. But it just wouldn't open. Only the manual way to open it through, the glovebox works. I have researched this and I have tried disconnecting the batteries and fiddling with the valet switch as well to try to fix it. But to no avail. Any ideas?

Now on to the hardtop. Started having an issue with opening the hardtop. The motors engage and it tries to open but it looked like it was getting stuck about 1 inch movement from closed position. I ended up having to push it up with a decent amount of force until i hear a loud pop from there on, it continues to open all the way. Same thing with the trunk back then, hotter weather worked easier, But would still hear a pop though not as loud If the weather was cold. Partially thinking there is a lubrication issue although when i checked the hooks it did have a decent amount of grease which was of yellowish color similar to the trunk latch.

Does anybody have any idea on how to fix my problems? Would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix them. Thanks!

-Bryan
Old 03-05-16, 09:01 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

The trunk pop is probably bad struts, unless like you were thinking that something is causing it to stick.

Try lifting up on the trunk while you press the button and see if it opens easier. If not, it could be that the latch is not fully releasing. We had a member earlier whose latch had come loose partially causing a similar problem. (Seems like that was within the last 6 months to a year.)
Old 03-05-16, 05:13 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Harold 's probably right. Check the latch. When the trunk operates correctly, the roof top will also operates.

I have a problem with opening the trunk with the key fob. Push the trunk button, nothing's happened. Anyone knows why? The key opens and locks doors fine.
Old 03-05-16, 09:18 PM
sixt33n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
The trunk pop is probably bad struts, unless like you were thinking that something is causing it to stick.

Try lifting up on the trunk while you press the button and see if it opens easier. If not, it could be that the latch is not fully releasing. We had a member earlier whose latch had come loose partially causing a similar problem. (Seems like that was within the last 6 months to a year.)
Thanks for replying. I dont think its the struts since when i open the trunk using the center console it doesnt fall down by itself. I tried pulling it up while pressing the button, doesnt work either. I also tried pushing the latch to lock position while the trunk was up so i could see if the latch would move when i tried to open it but it didnt. Im not sure if its a mechanical or an electrical problem. I might have to go in to remove and disassemble the latching mechanism but was hoping I could avoid from having to.

I've havent really tried taking the top down recently, but i was wondering if the trunk latch has to open when the trunk opens for the hardtop to go down.
Old 03-05-16, 09:20 PM
sixt33n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Harold 's probably right. Check the latch. When the trunk operates correctly, the roof top will also operates.

I have a problem with opening the trunk with the key fob. Push the trunk button, nothing's happened. Anyone knows why? The key opens and locks doors fine.
Valet switch? Does it make a beep and click or no sound at all? Does it open from the button from inside the car?
Old 03-05-16, 11:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

It sounds like electrical problem than mechanical problem since you can open it from center console. You might want to look for the blown fuse.
Old 03-05-16, 11:17 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixt33n
Valet switch? Does it make a beep and click or no sound at all? Does it open from the button from inside the car?
The trunk opens fine with the inside button. Just the remote control.
Old 03-06-16, 06:18 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I found out what's wrong with the remote trunk release button: nothing wrong at all. You need to push and hold the button for more than a second to open the trunk. This button does not work like the lock and unlock button.
Ha, just a operator err !!!!
Old 03-07-16, 01:51 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I found out what's wrong with the remote trunk release button: nothing wrong at all. You need to push and hold the button for more than a second to open the trunk. This button does not work like the lock and unlock button.

You can have that changed in the personal setting so that one press no hold will open it
Old 03-07-16, 06:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
You can have that changed in the personal setting so that one press no hold will open it
Oh yes ? How so? With techstream cable?
Old 03-07-16, 06:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh yes ? How so? With techstream cable?

I had my settings changed at thhe dealer. I do believe you can use a techstream cable and the right softwear. Others will chime in
Old 03-07-16, 06:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Yes, MrB is correct, Tech Stream Can change all of the settings.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-08-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 02:53 AM
sixt33n
Driver School Candidate

I think there could be some annoyances if it was one press function only. Many times i've pressed the lock or unlock button on accident. Not a big deal since i can just press it to lock or unlock the doors. But if you press the trunk button on accident you have to come back to your car close the trunk. But maybe thats just clumsy me.
Old 03-15-16, 04:55 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This has happened to the best of us!
Old 03-15-16, 09:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixt33n
I think there could be some annoyances if it was one press function only. Many times i've pressed the lock or unlock button on accident. Not a big deal since i can just press it to lock or unlock the doors. But if you press the trunk button on accident you have to come back to your car close the trunk. But maybe thats just clumsy me.
Yes, you're right. Lexus engineers must think of it.