SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Overnite Test Drive SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 09:28 PM
Ken98LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overnite Test Drive SC 430

I have been contemplating getting either a nice used late model LS 430, or SC 430. Well, the Lexus dealer here in Seattle has let me take home an 03 demo SC 430, Red/black for the night. All I can say is WOW. What a car. The more I drive it, the more I am falling in love. I realize that the LS 430 is drastically different (and a pretty major redesign is due for 04 according to the Gen Mgr) but I am having a hard time justifying spending about the same amount of money on such a small car. I know the SC is built like no other car out there and it certainly screams Lexus quality, but for those of you that have had yours for awhile....would you do it again and are you tired of the car yet? I cannot believe the Mark Levinson system. Sounds better than any car stereo I have ever heard. Also, it is amazing the low wind and lack of buffeting you get with the top down. You can actually talk to the person next to you in a normal volume.

Anyway, if I go with this car, I am also having a problem picking a color. I have always had dark blue or black cars and currently have a black GMC truck. BUT, the dealer just got in my first choice....indigo with saddle interior. Just came off the truck on the 21st. Also would like silver/black, white/black or white/saddle. The red car I have as the demo turns heads and gets more thumbs up than any car I have ever owned. Have had two bright red cars also and they sure look good when they are all waxed up (Zaino of course). Anyway, I am going to hate to bring this car back on Sunday. Dealer is getting in on trade an 02 LS 430 Ultra with only 12K on it. It is white with Ecru interior (my least fave interior color) and I can get that for about $55,000. He will sell me a new SC for just under 60K plus taxes etc. Should I try for a better price? Does anybody know if the indigo blue/saddle or black interior is a rare combo?

Also, I have thought about waiting until the 04 LS comes out as the dealer said it is going to be much more "aggressive" looking, better wheels,. complete face lift front and back, sleeker styling overall.

Any suggestions or comments to the above would be aprpeciated. Might have to put the top up and go for a midnight cruise in the SC.....happy motoring.
Old 04-27-03, 07:23 AM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

I have the SC430 and my wife has an LS430 (and is always trying to drive my SC430--I let her once in a while). Both are great cars. If your next car is going to be your only car, then you need to make sure that the SC430 will meet your basic needs:

Do you ever need to be able to seat 3 or 4 adults? Not enough room for an adult in the back seats for any distance longer than your driveway.

Do you need any trunk space for luggage? Small trunk, but if you are only packing for yourself, then there's enough room for 1 or 2 overnight bags with the top up, plus there's always the other 3 seats for more luggage. No real room for any large suitcase.

Of course, the SC430 has much more to offer than (other than?) the basics:

Warm and dry days and nights, top down. Colder/wetter weather HARDtop up. Can't beat it! (see the "84 degrees,..." thread below).

SC430 is more fun to drive than the LS430, though the LS430 will move when you "step on it". I've read that driving the LS430 is like sitting on your comfortable living room couch. I agree. You can make a 6 hour drive and come out still feeling fresh.

Awesome Mark Levinson stereo in both, but it just seems to sound a little better in the SC430. It may just seem that way to me since I drive our SC430 and have just really started listening to CD's since I got it.

The "Oooooh Factor". SC430 definitely has it, LS430 may have it a little. When we first got the SC430 and went to pick up the kids from school, all the other kids crowded up trying to get a look at it. On the street, I'm constantly amused by watching heads turn to get a look at the SC430.

The "Goob Factor". You will surely look like a goob while you are driving down the street with the top down and singing along with the terrific Mark Levinson stereo system. (Maybe that's why heads are turning when I drive by---naw, they look even with the top up and I'm not singing out loud.)

On the color, I just discovered Zaino when I got my black SC430 a couple months ago. Finished putting on a 3rd coat yesterday, and the car nearly takes my breath away now. I just take my wife's silver LS430 through the touchless car wash. If you use Zaino, I'd say definitely go for one of the darker colors. Black or the indigo will look nice. Of course, red would be good, too. I had a white LS400 before the SC430 and always enjoyed how it always looked clean even when covered in a fine layer of dust, light dirt, etc. That was nice and convenient. Having a dark car now is definitely more work and worry, but now that I've found Zaino, I love my black SC430.

Last edited by MedDawg; 04-27-03 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 08:03 AM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can not think of a better 2 person car on the road. I have had mine for one year and I get excited every time I drive it.

If winter weather is an issue, then buy winter tires or get a back up car.

If you have three friends that you drive around.....start making them walk. Or let them fight it out to determine who gets to ride in the passenger seat.

My only consideration was making sure my golf clubs fit in the trunk with the top down. I found a smaller golf bag and now I have no problems.

Nothin' like the top down, wife next to me, ML stereo blastin' , pooch in the back and golf clubs in the trunk.

Man, nothing comes close!!

Have fun, forget the LS, get the SC!!

TjZ
Old 04-27-03, 09:31 AM
Ken98LS400
Driver School Candidate

I rarely if ever have to take anybody along and when I do, it is usually just one person. If I know I will be needing more room, I have a really nice 03 GMC Sierra C3 extra cab truck that is very plush and comfortable. I hate to take this car back this morning as the sun is shining and supposed to be 65 degrees here in Seattle. Now if I can just sell my 03 Maxima I think I'll be in an SC by late spring. Oh yea, is $59,090 a good price to pay (Plus tax and license) for a new 03 SC??
Old 04-27-03, 07:30 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default YES!

That sounds like a very good price. I bought mine for list price back on Oct 1, 2001. BTW: I have YET to get tired of my SC430. I just love the car! I sold my Z3 Roadster to get it and I couldn't be happier. I had problems with the Z3 after the 1st year.... no such problems with the SC430 of course!

I have a seperate winter car although I almost bought snow tires for the SC430 and feel strongly that I would have been o.k. BUT I figured I'd rather keep the SC430 for a while and have a winter car that I wasn't as worried about.

Also, today it was 76 degrees and sunny.. a perfect top down type of day... and with the sound system... what could be better?

My golf clubs (in bag) fit no problem!

...and I am pretty impressed with the amount of things that fit in back with the top UP!

BTW: We are going to take a road trip (2 of us) out to California and back in September. We figured that if we can survive a 6000 mile road trip in a Z3 Roadster, the SC430 for 7K miles will be a dream!!! BTW: We took my former winter car (an Infiniti G20) on a 12K road trip to Alaska and back.... I wouldn't advise you take the SC430 to Alaska -- LOL
Old 04-27-03, 07:34 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default KEN

To answer your first questions:Would I do it again? DEFINITELY.
Am I tired of the car? Absolutely not.
As for price: I paid 60k w/spoiler,RF's,gold package, trunk mat, wheel locks.
I have had absolutely "0" problems with the car. No squeaks, rattles and everything works as advertised.
It is a great car IMHO and even better with the top down.
I have a red w/saddle. Always gets stares and commendations when stopped.
I willalways buy Lexus, have two now and will replace these with two more when the time comes.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 04-27-03, 09:38 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Get the blue!!! Go for it. Mine' s Indigo Ink Pearl and it looks great. I have the ecru interior, but the saddle is more rare and looks great. I know the LS is awesome too, I think we all do. It's a Lexus. Like Tjz said, it's the best driving with the wife, pooch, and golf clubs hauling *** with the top down. Get the clear bra on the front though, because there's a lot of paint on the front that gets hammered by the bugs. I paid $60,500 for run flats,spoiler,nav,lexuslink. I just wish they would include XM or Sirius in the radio like almost every other luxury car maker in the world!!! Good luck.
Old 04-28-03, 11:28 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nissan Pathfinders and Infiniti FX 35/45 are also pre-wired for XM radios.
Old 04-28-03, 03:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

FX 35/45 became available on 4/15. I sneak over to "FreshAlloy" every now and then since I also have a QX4! Pretty informative but doesn't compare to CL.
Old 04-28-03, 03:45 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XM/Sirius now available on FX 35/45. Just ordered my Sat. radio to be installed. The FX's are all prewired for it, using the original head unit.

TjZ