SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ashtray & Cupholder mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 06:56 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ashtray & Cupholder mod

This is something I talked about for a while, but have been putting off.

1. Replace the Ashtray with a panel (USB slots, aux audio, switches and indicators.
2. Replace cupholder with something that is actually functional!

For both of these I will be using sheets of thermoplastic, Kydex to be exact. I started on the ashtray, but realized that the Kydex I had in my materials bin was probably a bit too thick for this. I ordered some .06" sheets which will be much easier to work with.

With thermoplastic, you simply heat up the sheet and shape it as desired. It is general used in vaccuum forming, but since I do not have one (It's on my build-it-one-day list) I am baking the sheet in the oven, then forming it. I also use a heat gun and a dremel to tweak it as needed.

Kydex has a textured surface to it (it is often used in gun holsters) and is very rigid when cool.

With the thinner material, I will be using the screw holes. This stuff was way too thick to form around the screw posts.

It took me over an hour to work this thick piece which heats too slowly and cools too quickly. But I think I will be using it as a template. Once I get the overall shape the way I like it, I will just bake it flat again and use that to cut the thinner material which should be here in a few days.

Also, while pulling out my radio, I realized there is an overhanging edge under the A/C Controller . That got my gears spinning and have a few ideas that you might be seeing soon (slide out holders for phone or tablet perhaps?) I need to get an idea of how much room is there between the radio door and the bottom of the A/C controller

Last edited by Retroplay; 05-11-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 01:16 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I've actually been waiting to see what you came up with. Changing the "cup launcher" to an actual holder would be awesome.
Old 05-10-16, 02:58 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I've actually been waiting to see what you came up with. Changing the "cup launcher" to an actual holder would be awesome.
So many different mod ideas - such little time (and often, budget)!

I often bounce around the various mods and things change as the overall 'system' concept evolves.

One of the things that has been driving me crazy is that there is such little room in the cockpit (hard to even find a good spot for the phone!)
Old 05-11-16, 10:01 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Retro, I think you might have mentioned that you have a phone with Qi wireless charging. I know you're looking for ideas for the cup holder, but here's something I engineered from some mixed parts for my phone which also uses Qi charging. As you can see I modified a vent clip to the charger and ran the charging wire via 12v to 5v DC microUSB directly to the fuse box (ACC fuse). Ran the wire in the gap just above the parking brake release. With this setup, I can still see the screen to see who's calling, map directions, text messages, answer in speakerphone, etc. If you go the route I took then you will have more room for the cup holder, possibly the CarPC mouse/touchpad with USB inputs in the cup holder spot (like the newer Lexus models)?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-11-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 12:40 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey Retro, I think you might have mentioned that you have a phone with Qi wireless charging. I know you're looking for ideas for the cup holder, but here's something I engineered from some mixed parts for my phone which also uses Qi charging. As you can see I modified a vent clip to the charger and ran the charging wire via 12v to 5v DC microUSB directly to the fuse box (ACC fuse). Ran the wire in the gap just above the parking brake release. With this setup, I can still see the screen to see who's calling, map directions, text messages, answer in speakerphone, etc. If you go the route I took then you will have more room for the cup holder, possibly the CarPC mouse/touchpad with USB inputs in the cup holder spot (like the newer Lexus models)?

Great idea. I actually pulled out that vent once looking to repurpose that area for a phone. GMTA.

I've been toying around with a few different ideas. First, I had a folding phone holder on the top of the cup-holder. I liked that because my arm is usually resting on the center and the phone is right there at my fingertips.

Then I found a flexible magnetic mount that grips the phone really well. It is just a flexible metal plate that you can stick anywhere. I found a nice spot for it wedged between the leather console and the vent. It's easy to see the screen, but not so easy to touch the phone. However, it does keep my eyes up on the road.

I usually drive with my left hand, so keeping the phone on the right will likely be more comfortable for me.

It's starting to grow on me enough that I might flesh it out a bit more.

That Omaker headset is an interesting device. The cradle is magnetic so you can pretty much just drop it in place and it snaps on the charger and holds it. But the best feature is that it has an audio output to stream calls or MP3 over bluetooth into your radio.

It's close to an idea I had where the NAV and calls would stream to a headset if I picked it up, otherwise it would go through the radio. The missing part of the Omaker headset is no way to stream in the NAV.

And here is the other idea I am playing around with regarding the overhang of the AC controller.

I haven't checked yet whether it will interfere with the door. If it works, brackets can be built off that to hold a phone or maybe even a tablet in front of the radio.

If it does interfere with the door, another option would be to add sliders to slide something out.

Last edited by Retroplay; 05-11-16 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 01:05 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Looking at that pic reminds me of the bad shape my leather is in.

On that note, I have been planning to do a recolor when I have the leather restored. I am thinking this color (espresso) for the plastics and a slightly lighter brown for the leather (not saddle which looks more red to me.)

I tried to re-dye some of the faded black in the car, especially the back sill and driver door where arms rubbed it almost white. That back sill was really thirsty and sucked up the dye. 3 coats and some spots still need even more.

Coincidentally, I have no idea what caused that bubble in the vinyl. Has anyone else experienced that? It's been that way since I bought it. Nothing electronic under that spot to get hot so I am thinking it is just a glue failure.
Old 05-11-16, 01:11 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts

Retro, that bubble is common. Also on other makes and models dashboards bubble. Some have had ok results using a needle with glue .
Old 05-11-16, 01:15 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is the thread on this forum that I remember. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...back-dash.html
Old 05-11-16, 01:16 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Retro, that bubble is common. Also on other makes and models dashboards bubble. Some have had ok results using a needle with glue .
Thanks. Since I am looking at recoloring it anyway, maybe I will see what it takes to just replace the material (if it's just laminated.)
Old 05-11-16, 01:44 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Goxt phone holder if anyone is interested:
Amazon.com: GOXT 23453 Vehicle Mount Magnetic Phone Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: GOXT 23453 Vehicle Mount Magnetic Phone Holder: Automotive

I am pretty sure I didn't pay $18 for it, but I don't remember where I bought it now. Maybe Autozone.

The flexible metal piece is a bit short, in my opinion, but easy enough to cut a piece of sheet metal to replace it.

It would be interesting to see if a wireless charger could be fitted inside the magnet head (and if the magnet interferes - shouldn't.)

And the Omaker bluetooth headset:
Amazon.com: Omaker Hands-free Car Kit Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver with Headset and Dual Port USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Omaker Hands-free Car Kit Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver with Headset and Dual Port USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by Retroplay; 05-11-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 02:02 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Great idea. I actually pulled out that vent once looking to repurpose that area for a phone. GMTA.
Retro, please tell me how you removed the drivers side left vent.
Mine is broken and I have a replacement. Thanks!
Old 05-12-16, 02:31 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Retro, please tell me how you removed the drivers side left vent.
Mine is broken and I have a replacement. Thanks!
Rather ungracefully. I expected it to come out in one piece, so I simply grabbed a corner with some needle nose pliers and pulled it. It turns out that is a fairly complex assembly and it came apart in many pieces. Took me a while to figure out how to put it all back together again.

In your case, pulling out the old one in several pieces may not be a big deal and your replacement will probably just snap in.

I'm afraid I can't offer better instruction than that. I felt lucky I didn't break something and probably won't be taking it apart ever again.
Old 05-12-16, 04:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Tell me this, were there screws on holding the vents to the dash?
Did you break anything?
Old 05-12-16, 05:01 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I didn't notice any screws and thankfully didn't break anything.

When I fulled, the front face came out and the vanes fell lose, because the backside frame didn't come with it. I think it was just clipped in. I know I ended up pulling out the frame to put it all back together again and then pushed in back in place.

It was one of those things where I realized what a dumb idea it was just a fraction of a second before it happened.

Take a flashlight and look down the sides. I think you find clips you can release through the vanes to pull the whole piece out without damaging it.

On your replacement part, do you see clips on the sides?

EDIT: If you post a pic of your replacement part, it might trigger my recollection of how I eventually got it out and put it back together.