SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Garaging advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 04:38 AM
UGAALF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garaging advice needed

I no longer need to use my SC 430 as a daily driver, and can garage it, and use sparingly, assuring that I will enjoy the car for many years. My intention is to drive it some on weekends, but I can foresee not driving the car 2-4 weeks at a time. Is there any advice you can give or anything to be concerned about when driving so sparingly? I know many on this forum put very few miles on their cars annually. I want to make sure the car remains in great condition.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-16, 05:57 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Still treat it like you drive it often. Keep it washed often treat the rubber seals top, trunk, doors, hood. Keep the leather clean and treated. Especially before you drive it clean the dirt off the seat. If you don't that dirt/ dust is like sandpaper. Some will say the battery tender. I don't seem to have a problem without it. I change the oil twice a year regardless of miles. I would change the final drive oil every two years. When you drive it get a solid 10 miles on it to get rid of water condensation in the fluids and exhaust.
Old 05-11-16, 05:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Mister Blister will have the answer since that is what he does.

Things to be concerned about:

1. Battery

2. Airflow (if you leave it for extended times). There was a discussion a few years ago about an SC that had gotten mold everywhere.
Old 05-11-16, 06:18 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Top three concerns...

1. Battery
2. Battery
3. Battery
Old 05-11-16, 06:57 AM
UGAALF
Rookie

Is there a battery tender that anyone could recommend?
Old 05-11-16, 07:53 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I would also crank it occasionally, just to let the fluids flow. My Sc was a daily until the beginning of 2015 & it was totally quiet. It seemed to be a little louder, after sitting for a week or two at a time. I now crank it & let it run for a few minutes, every 3 or 4 days & this has seemed to quiet it back to my likings. I also do everything that Coleroad mentioned and haven't had an issue
Old 05-11-16, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by UGAALF
Is there a battery tender that anyone could recommend?
Costco Battery Tender, $40. Best investment.
Old 05-11-16, 09:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Mister Blister will have the answer since that is what he does.

Things to be concerned about:

1. Battery

2. Airflow (if you leave it for extended times). There was a discussion a few years ago about an SC that had gotten mold everywhere.
My 2005 is garaged 12 months a year I drive it only when I can use the top down. I wax the car twice a year I have sheepskin seat covers on with open side for air bags. I use a battery tender plus plugged in when in garage . There is a fan running 24 / 7 and car is covered with groits full flannel cover I run a oil filled heater in winter. Summer temp averages in the 70 in garage . Car is sitting on a full wool rug and I move the car every 3 weeks to avoid flat spots. I use leathertique to preserve seats . 309 sealant on rubber moldings The car is 11 years old and I had to replace the OEM battery about 2 years ago. I do run the engine every month and I do try and drive if weather good to keep moisture out of pipes. I also use a rag in the exhaust when I put it away.. I have not needed to change any fluids other then antifreeze flush and new coolant. The car now has 7625 miles on it and runs just fine no issues at all .I know there may be members that think I am wrong about some of the prep I do , Brake fluid looks great so does power steering fluid . I may do a brake flush just for the heck of it. I know brake fluid is hydroscopic and can retain water so I plan to attend to that. Have not considered timing belt since I have properly stored car since new. The mileage is low and frankly its mostly highway driving I never go in the city at all.

Last edited by mrblister; 05-11-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 07:56 AM
UGAALF
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrblister
My 2005 is garaged 12 months a year I drive it only when I can use the top down. I wax the car twice a year I have sheepskin seat covers on with open side for air bags. I use a battery tender plus plugged in when in garage . There is a fan running 24 / 7 and car is covered with groits full flannel cover I run a oil filled heater in winter. Summer temp averages in the 70 in garage . Car is sitting on a full wool rug and I move the car every 3 weeks to avoid flat spots. I use leathertique to preserve seats . 309 sealant on rubber moldings The car is 11 years old and I had to replace the OEM battery about 2 years ago. I do run the engine every month and I do try and drive if weather good to keep moisture out of pipes. I also use a rag in the exhaust when I put it away.. I have not needed to change any fluids other then antifreeze flush and new coolant. The car now has 7625 miles on it and runs just fine no issues at all .I know there may be members that think I am wrong about some of the prep I do , Brake fluid looks great so does power steering fluid . I may do a brake flush just for the heck of it. I know brake fluid is hydroscopic and can retain water so I plan to attend to that. Have not considered timing belt since I have properly stored car since new. The mileage is low and frankly its mostly highway driving I never go in the city at all.

When using the battery tender, does the hood need to be unlatched and partially open? Can you shut the hood with the tender attached to the battery?
Old 05-23-16, 09:47 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the plug of the battery tender attached direct to battary. The other plug in is on edge of battery I leave the hood open but closed to the saftey latch. This way I can still use the alarm. If the hood is partially closed and latched on the saftey then you can alarm it. I could of fed the sae wire plug up to the grille [ using a battery tender extension cable ] I just have no reason to do it since car is always garaged
Old 05-23-16, 11:39 AM
Toysled
Pit Crew

Don't forget about tire pressure and avoiding a flat spot on your tires.