SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Fault list

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 06:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I have to agree the SC430 is less "sporty" (by design) than the other cars in that comparison, which is what Lexus intended it to be - much more a luxury car than a sports car, and therefore may not be appropiate for that comparison. Lexus could have tuned it to to drive more like an IS than a LS in terms of handling, but has chosen not to, hardly a fault, but certainly not endearing to writers of car magazines like Automobile, Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend, who are driving enthusiasts, many with racing backgrounds.

On the other hand, Lexus usually beat those cars in surveys and comparisons in J D. Power, Consumer Report, Consumer Guides, etc., which are not heavily biased towards handling and performance, but rather evaluates cars more as a total package, more in terms of overall vehicle satisfaction & total ownership experience.

One Canadian car magazine actually exclude the SC430 from the Sports Car category in its annual "Best Buy Awards", and instead put it in the "Prestige Car" category and thus evaluate it as a high end luxury car instead.
And you know what? It won !!

Click on "Prestige Car " in the following link:

http://www.carguidemagazine.com/bestbuys/

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-06-03 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-06-03, 08:01 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to read the auto magazines religiously when considering my next car purchase. In fact, I purchased an '02 Audi A6 4.2 because Car & Driver placed it in a virtual tie with the BMW 540i for the #1 spot among sport sedans. All the auto mags gave it great reviews.

Boy, did I learned the hard way. When I actually drove it everyday in the real world, I found the pickup off the line was poor (hard to pull out of traffic), the brakes squealed consistently (normal according to Audi), and I could never quite get comfortable in the hard-*** sport seats (I'm only 155 lbs.). And I could have actually lived with those faults if the dealer service hadn't SUCKED. Champion Porsche-Audi, one of the largest dealerships in the country, used to actually say to customers "the reason it is taking so long to service your car is because we are one of the few dealerships in South Florida so we're handling lots of cars." To me, that's no excuse... I'll switch to a brand with a larger distributorship.

Moral of the story... you'll never hear those comments in the auto mags. They take a car to the track and spend a few hours with it. They don't have to live with it every day. Sure, I would like a little more performance from my SC430, but considering the alternatives it's just fine for me.
Old 05-06-03, 09:11 PM
dsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sulfur smell

Anyone else noticing a very strong sulfur smell when you accelerate aggressively? The dealer tells me that the low-emission vehicles have this problem. I have been around several other low-emission vehicles that did not smell. Dealer also recommended a different brand of premium fuel, so we switched from Shell to Exxon. No difference. Also, I have noticed similar odors from LX470s that pass by while I am out walking. This is my third Lexus and I am dissappointed with this problem.
Old 05-06-03, 11:27 PM
Arvin
Rookie

Default Re: Sulfur smell

Originally posted by dsmith
Anyone else noticing a very strong sulfur smell when you accelerate aggressively? The dealer tells me that the low-emission vehicles have this problem. I have been around several other low-emission vehicles that did not smell. Dealer also recommended a different brand of premium fuel, so we switched from Shell to Exxon. No difference. Also, I have noticed similar odors from LX470s that pass by while I am out walking. This is my third Lexus and I am dissappointed with this problem.
we have 3 Lexuses in the household (SC430, LS430, GX470) and I never notice any sulfur smell. Maybe you should request your dealer to do something about it.
Old 05-07-03, 07:15 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There was another thread in this forum on this same topic. The SC430, specifically, has a sulphur smell during hard acceleration due to the catalytic converter. My SC also has this problem, but from what I've read it is normal. Remember, Lexus designed the SC430 to be eco-friendly (like it or not). This is also the reason there is no manu-matic or e-shift option.

Dsmith, there is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 05-10-03, 02:21 AM
MLSC430
Driver

i wil have to say rathering noise, i know, i know, it's a conv, but still it is a $60K+ car.....
and also i think another is the turn signals, the front one at least, just like the GS the SC front signal lites can't been seen from the side, the japanese soarer, is ok cause has side markers but the US SC430 doesn't, so i did take matters into my own hands..... i have turning signals that can be seen from the side(not side markers), and also i think the backing lite is too low, sometimes i have problem seeing at nite....

but like you guys.... I STILL LOVE MY CAR...!!!
Old 05-10-03, 11:52 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

My wife has had an SC430 for over two years, and it has required no repairs that I can recall. Complaints: the run-flat tires provide a fairly hard ride. Also, the nav system is useless. She gave up on it long ago. Yes, I know; some people think it's great.
Old 05-10-03, 06:39 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

1. Rattles like crazy mostly the passanger seat..
2. My roof has a gap on the passanager side (deal says its normal)

I am not very **** so these little things dont bother me
Old 05-12-03, 09:57 AM
alfa2600
Driver

Now up over 20,000 miles on my 2002, a grand car except for (as we all know) the pesky run flats which I am soon to replace with Michelin Pilot Sports. I have two principal comments, not exactly complaints, but suggestions for improvement. First, make it into a true 2+2 by getting rid of the huge center console, put the shift lever in the dash, and make a bench front seat with a big folding armrest and contoured cushions and back for driver and passenger. Fold up the armrest and a third person can sit in front. Then change the back seat to a sideways facing seat for one person. I had this setup many years ago in a 1937 Bentley Van den Plas cabriolet, very functional. Floor shift was on the side out of the way but I always hung my pants cuff on it getting in and out.

Second, it would be nice to have a sportier version with crisper handling, manual up and down shift over control of the auto transmission, and more power just for bragging rights. However the market for such a hot SC430 is probably rather speculative and I doubt Lexus would consider it.

Minor improvements: a switch to turn the daytime running lights on and off. Independent control of the little rear side windows. As mentioned by others, remote control of the power top so that in summer you don't bake for the twenty seconds it takes to put it down.

And a continental tire mount kit for the space saver spare, on the trunk lid, for those of us who are going to run four Michilins and hate to lose the trunk space.
Old 05-21-03, 03:04 PM
MLSC430
Driver

well alfa2600, at least the power top part is handle......
Old 05-22-03, 05:04 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by MedDawg
Despite the cool car, I still can't pick up chicks. It's gotta be the SC430's fault.

Heh, just kidding, dear. Yes, honey, I'll get to the dishes as soon as I finish clearing the table.
Obverse - Get out to get gas and 3 girls - I use the term advisedly for a trio of gigglers that must have been, oh, barely legal to drive - pull in behind me and start flirting outrageously, going from "Great car" to invitation to a party in 12 sec's. My wife sits low enough in the seat that she's unseen for the first several seconds...

When when of them pouts because I won't give her a ride, my wife finally pipes up very mildly with "It's a pretty uncomfortable rear seat!"