SC430 Fault list

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 03:48 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Fault list

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=37843

Hi..I came across this list of problems Mercedes SL owners were having w/their SL55s and it seemed quite numerous.

Was wondering if we could start a thread listing the issues of maintenance SC430 owners have had on their cars...

Was wondering if the issues were as severe or not w/the SC430s as w/mercedes

Anyone want to start?

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 05-02-03 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 05:35 PM
Arvin
Rookie

I don't like the front seat belts, they are hard to reach, and they don't look neat when tie to the seat.
Old 05-02-03, 07:28 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The clips that hold the mats in place really **** me off.
Old 05-02-03, 11:12 PM
DropTop430
Driver

The orignal Bridgestone tires suck!!!
Old 05-02-03, 11:33 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default how about..

So any defective parts? Wind noise? rattlling rooflies? Engine whining? Faulty electronics?
Old 05-03-03, 07:15 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Symptom: Sound system would occasionally go to full volume for no reason
Solution: Power amp replaced.

Symptom: Noise from the suspension
Solution: Rear cushions replaced.

My biggest complaint about this car (but not a defect) is that I was required to purchase all three "options" when I wanted none of them. So I paid $400 for runflats and now I have to spend money for runflat replacements and to install a spare kit that should have come standard. I also had to pay $400 for a rear spoiler and now I have to pay to have it taken off. As far as the nav system, well, it's cute and entertaining, but unlike many of the folks in this forum, I don't travel so much that I find it useful.

But I still love my car.
If there's one word that describes this car, it's "smooth". It looks smooth. It acts smooth. Everything from the acceleration to the way the change compartment door moves is smooth.

Arvin ... I find that people who are accustomed to reaching over their shoulder for their seat belt have a problem with the 430's belts. I just tell them to reach for the floor and drag it up.
Old 05-03-03, 07:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

As far as the nav system, well, it's cute and entertaining, but unlike many of the folks in this forum, I don't travel so much that I find it useful.
Yes , same for me here. The Canadian content of the Nav just show the large cities (Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal) and I will never drive this car to Toronto and Montreal from Vancouver, nor U.S. cities much farther than Seattle.)
They usually don't order cars without the NAV, and you have to special order and wait if you want one.
I just happened to walk in, found the exact colour combination I want but with the NAV, and got it immediately.
I don't regret getting the NAV though - it sure looks a lot better with that extra door on the dash.
Old 05-03-03, 03:10 PM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

Despite the cool car, I still can't pick up chicks. It's gotta be the SC430's fault.

Heh, just kidding, dear. Yes, honey, I'll get to the dishes as soon as I finish clearing the table.
Old 05-03-03, 04:41 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also the steering system can be a pain to keep straight. I would consider it flimsy at times!!

The Bridgestone tires were pathetic!!! I gave them away for better allseason Continental tires
Old 05-03-03, 09:14 PM
Arvin
Rookie

Originally posted by 1NICESC430

Arvin ... I find that people who are accustomed to reaching over their shoulder for their seat belt have a problem with the 430's belts. I just tell them to reach for the floor and drag it up.
thanks, I will start to praticing this way from now on.
Old 05-03-03, 09:16 PM
Arvin
Rookie

Originally posted by MedDawg
Despite the cool car, I still can't pick up chicks. It's gotta be the SC430's fault.
me too, and this hella sucks!

J/K
Old 05-04-03, 04:51 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Default Stereo

the Mark Levinson is an amazing stereo. No question. I have a complaint about it on my SC and the Nakamichi in my 2000 LX. When you put the CD changer on DRandom it will randomly play music from all 6 discs. However, once a song is played, it is not removed from the random sequence of songs. I frequently hear one song, then the next random one, and then the first song again. That sucks. Also, if you get a crappy song selected randomly, and you hit the Track button to advance to the next song, it goes to the next song on the disc already playing and not to the next random selection. Even the cheapest home and aftermarket auto CD players don't do this. I know this is nit picky, and I LOVE my SC and my LX. But I don't think this would be too difficult to fix in future stereos. Also, I can't understand Lexus' reluctance to provide XM or Sirius in their systems when practically every other luxury automaker has that as an option. Hell, even Chevys have that now. I guess this isn't a complaint as much as it is a suggestion to try to make things better. I'll shut up now and go drive my SC and love every minute of it!!!!

Doc C
Old 05-05-03, 11:27 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

You're right, but with Infiniti, for example, the head unit and everything on the stereo has the display and everything. They just install a module behind the dash to provide XM or SIrius, whichever you want. No extra antennas, cables or anything else. So it's not an aftermarket dealer installed accessory. That's what other automakers (BMW for example) have been doing with Sirius. They (Sirius) haven't been exclusive to GM through 2002. I just think Lexus ought to consider doing the same, unless they are holding out for something better on the horizon. Jaguar, Volvo,MB,etc. will have this very soon. MB salesman told me 04s will have it for sure. It's not worth driving something else, but could be improved.
Old 05-05-03, 02:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't it funny that there are so few real problems with this car that the thread quickly turned into a discussion about XM/Sirius radio? We'll, that's just how great this car is.

I also wish Lexus would wake up and include XM radio as an option, but until they do I'll take my SC430 w/ plugged-in Delphi Sky-Fi over any '04 M-B w/ XM installed any day!
Old 05-05-03, 08:44 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

You're right. The SC kicks ***. Speaking of which, did anyone see the latest "Automobile" magazine?? They have a comparison of the Maserati Spyder,MB SL 500, Cadillac XLR, Jag XKR. They said in the article that the Lexus SC 430 was not in this league of cars and that it wouldn't be cross-shopped against any of these vehicles, therefore, they didn't include it. They went on to say the SC neither handles or accelerates well. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?? Now, the SC certainly may not have won the contest, but I test drove the Jag and the MB SL 500 before buying my SC. I certainly cross shopped two of the four cars, and would have test driven the Caddy if available. The MB is a great car too, but in almost all statistical categories the SC is right with it, and it is a LOT less expensive. Oh well, I just thought Automobile was making a large SC fault list entry in its magazine. One that I think SC 430 owners everywhere should disagree with.

Quick Reply: SC430 Fault list