SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Radio upgrade for 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 02:01 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondog
NEWONE1, since I just did an update yesterday I will tell you my experience. There are a number of threads on here, and they are all good info. There seems to be several choices, but I used the Beatsonic harness. I originally updated my 2002 about 3 years ago. If I was doing it over, I would do the same thing. With the Beatsonic you can use everything that is in your car, speakers, amp everything. I installed a Pioneer AVH something originally and just yesterday updated the radio with a Pioneer 4200NEX. I love it! I was fairly easy to install. You can get some shops to install I am certain. Best Buy will do it, as will others... But, bottom line, the 4200 NEX is a good stereo.
I just bought the Beatsonic and am now looking for a head unit, the Pioneer 4200 nex looks good, i am wondering if the head unit door close ok after installing the 4200 nex?
Old 10-28-16, 08:29 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 4200

Originally Posted by scrdstr
I just bought the Beatsonic and am now looking for a head unit, the Pioneer 4200 nex looks good, i am wondering if the head unit door close ok after installing the 4200 nex?
door closed fine
Old 10-31-16, 03:24 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4200NEX is a terrible head unit.

I have one in my car.
Old 10-31-16, 05:50 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
4200NEX is a terrible head unit.

I have one in my car.
why?
Please share!
Old 11-07-16, 07:48 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed a 4200 with the beatsonic harness and Sirius XM and am absolutely pleased with its performance and features ......the sound has never been better with the ML speakers and amp...judging by all the reviews and as many others have posted, this is far from a terrible head unit!
Old 11-07-16, 08:15 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the beatsonic and a Pioneer head unit about 3 years ago. It brought my cars sound and capabilities out of the stone age. I installed the 4200NEX about 6 months ago or so, and it was a great decision. Does it have some issues, yes. But great sound quality is not one of them. My major complaint is that the start up is a little slow at times. But, beyond that, great head unit, with outstanding sound, and the bluetooth is by far superior to the previous head unit.
Old 11-10-16, 04:54 PM
Moondog
Driver

One other thing here, the obvious is you need a cell phone hooked up to the radio. If you don't have the cell phone hooked up, you have CD and that is about it. With the cell phone hooked up, you have Pandora (or some other type of music app), and I have the Sirius/XM app on my iPhone and it works great.
Old 11-13-16, 04:04 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pioneer vs Kenwood?

Originally Posted by Moondog
I installed the beatsonic and a Pioneer head unit about 3 years ago. It brought my cars sound and capabilities out of the stone age. I installed the 4200NEX about 6 months ago or so, and it was a great decision. Does it have some issues, yes. But great sound quality is not one of them. My major complaint is that the start up is a little slow at times. But, beyond that, great head unit, with outstanding sound, and the bluetooth is by far superior to the previous head unit.
I am now researching Nav/Radio/Sirius/Android Play/backup camera replacements. I am pretty sure I am going with Beat-Sonic MVA-13L and Kenwood DDX 9903S or similar. I am a heavy android/Google guy so I care about that integration a ton. I hate all things Apple lol

My 2 questions are: 1. Kenwood or Pioneer? I will spend $500-800 or so on either. 2. Does anyone have a good installer in Miami, Ft Lauderdale or Boca Raton areas?
Old 11-13-16, 08:33 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ccurtin1
I am now researching Nav/Radio/Sirius/Android Play/backup camera replacements. I am pretty sure I am going with Beat-Sonic MVA-13L and Kenwood DDX 9903S or similar. I am a heavy android/Google guy so I care about that integration a ton. I hate all things Apple lol

My 2 questions are: 1. Kenwood or Pioneer? I will spend $500-800 or so on either. 2. Does anyone have a good installer in Miami, Ft Lauderdale or Boca Raton areas?
crutchfield websites owners reviews on the 9903s seem to point out lots of issues
Old 11-13-16, 02:22 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

In 2016 if you have 2005 or later SC model it hardly makes any sense to spend the money upgrade the radio IMHO. Besides destroying the factory radio which will significantly reduce the resale value, you don't gain much in terms of sounds quality and versatility. With interface like Grom audio and Dashlikq you can integrate your smart phone seamless into your factory radio. Not only you have thousands of digital radio stations all over the world at your fingertip you have a full functioning smart phone with AI features on the console. The only thing you really need after Grom is a just phone holder.
Old 11-13-16, 11:13 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
In 2016 if you have 2005 or later SC model it hardly makes any sense to spend the money upgrade the radio IMHO. Besides destroying the factory radio which will significantly reduce the resale value, you don't gain much in terms of sounds quality and versatility. With interface like Grom audio and Dashlikq you can integrate your smart phone seamless into your factory radio. Not only you have thousands of digital radio stations all over the world at your fingertip you have a full functioning smart phone with AI features on the console. The only thing you really need after Grom is a just phone holder.
I removed and saved the OEM 08 radio and did not have to modify the wiring so I am unsure of what your destroying comment means?

the resale value of any car would be hurt by having a cassette deck radio IMO.

my 4200 and beatsonic makes my 08 to 2016
Old 11-14-16, 09:24 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If the factory radio can do a lot more than aftermarket radio why going thru the trouble. Its 2016 and things have changed dramatically in the last few years. Imagine yourself stepping into the car, placing your smartphone on the dash and once you turn the car key thousands of digital radio stations show up on your smart phone screen. And it even remembers the last station you were listening to, changing between your favorite stations is just a tap on the phone screen, and the voice/music comes on your car speakers without any delay or buffering when switching stations. I personally believe in this day and age having a pretty radio screen simply is not enough, you need PC behind it and content of tens of thousands radio stations around the world. Now after a few days of Dashlinq I am convinced the future of car radio is thru your smart phone, because not only it needs rich features it needs internet connection and vast content that only your smart phone can bring.
Old 11-14-16, 06:57 PM
Moondog
Driver

I have a 2002 which had (OEM) the ML radio. The ML in the 02 has no bluetooth, and no capability beyond radio, and or CD. In replacing not only is the sound quality better (even using the guts from the ML system), it has bluetooth capability, phone hook up (apps from phone) and did I mention better sound quality? As for resale, who cares. I don't suspect that will matter that much (as if I were buying one...I would want what I have), and I don't plan to sell the car anyway. I am a car guy, 60 years old...had many, many cars in my life. I have finally found one that I really love! The SC is my fourth convertible (actually 5th if you include 2 Miatas). I had a BMW, Ford Thunberbird (remake mode), 2 Miatas. If you are planning on upgrading your car, you need to decide what you want, what you can live with, what you can't, and your budget. This is just my humble opinion....
Old 11-18-16, 09:06 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Says it all...........

This should answer all your questions on the avh4200nex.......
Old 11-21-16, 07:38 AM
HayesFJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble on Install of Beatsonic MVA-13L - 2006 SC430

Hello Forum,

I wanted to upgrade the original Mark Levinson Head Unit on my 2006 SC430. The old unit, including the interface with Navigation, worked fine with no issues, but I wanted additional features. I purchased the BeatSonic MVA-13L and installed a Kenwood DPX792BH, but was not getting any power to the new head unit. I thought I might have a loose connection, took the new unit out, and all the wiring harness crimps on the bullet connectors looked tight. I disconnected the VMA-13L and put the original ML Head Unit back in, butit would not power up either. When I took the original ML head unit out, I put the unit into Shipping Mode, following the instructions on the unit. There were no instructions on how to take it out of Shipping Mode on the install. Could that be part of the issue? I checked both the 30 AMP Radio-1 fuse in the engine compartment and the 10 AMP Radio-2 fuse in the driver's kick plate box and both looked good. The Navigation system seemed to be working even though the original ML Head Unit was not getting any power. Any advice?

I had previously tried the GROM Blue Tooth / Digital Radio interface and had that professionally installed. It was not working right and decided to upgrade to the BeatSonic and new head unit. Part of my dis-assembly was unplugging the connector for the GROM unit from the ML Head Unit and the SC430 Wiring Harness. Could the original install of the GROM connector be a factor?

I am showing the wiring diagrams for both the Kenwood Head Unit and the MVA-13L below. I did have some questions on the install:

1) The MVA-13L has an Orange/Illumination Power connection, but the Kenwood does not have a corresponding wire. I assumed that the Power for the Kenwood was coming in through the Red or Yellow.
2) The Original ML Head unit had a small male jack next to the antenna jack. Is this a microphone in jack or part of the steering wheel control?
3) I did not connect the Kenwood Light Blue / Yellow Steering Remote Control to anything on the BeatSonic
4) I did not connect the Kenwood Brown Mute to anything on the BeatSonic
5) I did connect the Kenwood Blue/White Power Control Wire / Antenna Control Wire to the Blue Antenna Remote on the MVA-13L

Any help wold be appreciated! Right now I just have a big hole in my dash!

Quick Reply: Any Radio upgrade for 2016?