Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 10:59 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 560 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Back up camera

Hi all,
I'd like to install a backup camera using the existing NAV screen. What do I need besides the camera? What interface cables do I need? Do I lose the NAV? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-16, 04:34 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of us use the NavTool interface. Check out this link or search on NavTool.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-pictures.html
Old 08-03-16, 10:30 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 560 Likes on 427 Posts

Thanks Poqman.

I looked up the Navtool on Amazon and found this review. Was your video flickering?

3.0 out of 5 stars

Works, but makes the navigation screen video noisy
By V on April 28, 2016
I bought this unit directly from manufacturer and install in 2005 Lexus SC 430.

Installation was not simple, since it required soldering wires in a very tight space in the trunk of my car. On the plus side the unit came with detailed instructions on which wires need to be tapped.

Overall unit is functioning: it shows navigation screen when car in Drive or Park and backup camera view when it is in Reverse. However image (even for navigation screen) has flickering horizontal lines and is a bit blurred. These don't prevent you from using navigation, but are certainly annoying.

In addition, when car is in reverse the backup camera image has a slight ghost image of the navigation screen. The ghost image is slowly cycling on the screen and even though it is slight you could read the text displayed on navigation screen from this ghost image.

I've contacted the manufacturer and they replaced the unit. The new unit is no better. They advised connecting ground to the chassis, but that did not help either. I went one step further and powered the unit using a 12V wall adapter. This made no difference either.

I decided to keep the unit since I do need a backup camera, but it certainly misses expectations on video quality.
Old 08-04-16, 04:48 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I've installed Navtool and backup camera on two SC430's (an '02 and '06) and a Toyota Highlander ('07). No problems, no ghost images, no flickering lines. Installation is difficult because of the tight location for soldering the wires, but removing the trunk interior is straight forward. You have some options on how to run the camera wiring to the NavTool unit, but not hard. I've been very happy with it's performance and love having a backup camera.
Old 08-04-16, 08:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Are these components relatively cheaper nowadays? I am up for the challenge and know that a back up camera is a good tool to have, however trying to justify the investment is tough with the old lady.

I really want to do this on my SC.
Old 08-04-16, 10:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
a back up camera is a good tool to have, however trying to justify the investment is tough
I installed an aftermarket camera on my last two cars. It was time consuming, but relatively easy.

Then I figured out I never really used it unless I was backing into a tight space/spot.

I am like you; I think it is pretty nifty, but am trying to justify the cost since I didn't use it on a daily basis (due to the field of view being too narrow for EVERYTIME use)
Old 08-04-16, 10:32 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 413 Posts

BTW, This may help you if you decide to go with a Backup camera. Use these instead of soldering. They tap into the current wire without cutting it. You can buy them at the Auto Parts store, they are called quick splices

Old 08-04-16, 02:56 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Are these components relatively cheaper nowadays? I am up for the challenge and know that a back up camera is a good tool to have, however trying to justify the investment is tough with the old lady.

I really want to do this on my SC.
I got the NavTool for $188 during their Christmas sale. The camera's cover a wide range of prices. I got a cheaper camera that had 180 degree field of view, distance lines and led lights to help illuminate when backing up. It was $37.
Old 08-04-16, 04:03 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I use the NavIKS video interface in my 2002 which is available on Ebay. I don't remember how much I paid, but their customer service and install directions were amazing. Very straightforward and easy install. Did it myself. I did use the "T-taps" indicated above. The seller of the NAVIKS is OneWayAutoSports out of NY. You can always call and ask for help. They have a website. . I use mine for rear camera backup, Android phone mirroring, and media player (movies, Youtube videos, music videos, etc) I have no problems with flickering or the problems that were stated in the review above for NAVTool. I also found that NAVIKS is also producing a screen mirroring kit that piggy backs off the NAVIKS interface. Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

PS. you can search for NAVIKS on this forum, and my writeup and DIY should be a top hit. For my full build search for "DVDNAV Media Intergration"
Old 08-04-16, 06:42 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 894 Likes on 718 Posts

Here is how I wired in the power for the backup camera without cutting any wires.
begin reading at post 15.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html
Old 08-04-16, 10:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
(due to the field of view being too narrow for EVERYTIME use)
Habious (RIP) taught me this trick. My camera is pointed down toward the ground, such that when an object is one foot away when it is at the bottom of the camera frame. This lets me snug close to cars/walls,etc. while parking

So I turn around and look like normal for most backing up -- the back up cam is just for fine measurement. I think its brilliant. I'm amazed how much more room I have than I thought, which makes parking much easier.