SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Have 3yr lease. Someone convince me that it's not a huge waste of $ to get tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 09:32 PM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have 3yr lease. Someone convince me that it's not a huge waste of $ to get tires/rims

I have a 3 yr lease on my two month old SC430, and am dying to replace the Dunlop runflats with either Michelin Pilot Sports or the Goodyear F1 Eagles. I don't have too much of a problem spending the $ now for the new tires as I will have to replace the runflats someday. But what do I do with a set of runflats with only 2700 miles on them?

I would also love to get either the new wheel conversion kit or even a new set of wheels. But I'm thinking that it would be a waste of $ (even if I have it) to buy wheels for a car that I'm going to give back to the dealer in three years.

Also compounding the problem is my Lexus dealer is 110 miles away and doesn't even install the tires themselves--they have a tire dealer in that city do it for them. Just checked and no one in this small town that can install the Michelins (one offered Toyos and another Bridgestones), and the local Goodyear dealer quoted $278 per tire (including installation) for the Goodyear Eagles (only $198 each on tirerack.com). Then I still have the pie plates. I could get the wheel conversion kit after getting the Eagles, but for the same money ($278x4 +$469 for the conversion kit), i could I could buy a set wheels and tires from tirerack.com. I don't know much my Lexus dealer would charge to install the wheel conversion kit, plus a 220 mile round trip to the city.

So the simplest thing (for installation) is to buy a tire/wheel set from tirerack, have it shipped to any tire place in town that can mount the new tires and wheels. No out of town trip. Then what do I do with the original tire/wheel combo? Store them until it's time to take the car back to the dealer? Then what can I do with the new tire/wheels? Can I use them on another car? I'm not too keen on selling things, but if I could get a high enough % of my money back, then I could try. I don't know how wheels keep their value.

I know there's a simple answer, but it's escaping me. I'm enjoying the heck out of my SC430 as it is now, so maybe it's just to keep what I have (what my wife would say if I asked her), but I'm thinking I would like the car even more with new wheels and/or tires. I appreciate any suggestions.
Old 05-09-03, 09:40 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

being that I'm a bit of a wheel addict.. I'd say go for it and you can resell them after the lease ends
Old 05-10-03, 01:13 AM
MLSC430
Driver

get it while you can, the ride is much better, even on bigger wheels, i have 19" on mine still rides better, now mine is lowered, now kinda rides like is on run flats......
Old 05-11-03, 04:54 PM
legendary
Racer

FYI,

tirerack mounts and balances wheels before sending them out....just make sure and let them know that is what you want to do. Also, you can view the wheels on your car. I say go for it, life is short. Enjoy it.
Old 05-22-03, 07:53 PM
NREIFF
Driver School Candidate

Default Go for it!

I made the switch to Michelin Pilots 8 months ago and it is the best money I ever spent. The car drives much better . . . and I moved from the Dunlop SPs which I think were better than the runflats.

The car handles better. The car is softer on bumps. And the tires protect the wheels better from curb damage.

You are driving a 60K car. Don't be cheap about the $1000.00 for tires. Believe me, it is worth it. You should put these tires on now . ., drive 25000 miles, then put the original tires on when you turn in the car!

Also, NTB can do the tires and the mounting and so forth!

NDR

Last edited by NREIFF; 05-22-03 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 04:19 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Tire/Wheels

Since you are leasing the car, stick with the 18" size tire/wheel combo.

I'd find a nice set of wheels from TireRack as well as the Michelin Pilot Sports and have them mount / balance them for you. You will be without the sensors if this is done as they will still be on your current wheels. OR, have the wheels/tires shipped to you, if you decide to use the sensors, find out if the wheels will handle the sensors as some do and some do not. Go to a GOOD local tire dealer and have them remove the tires off the stock wheels, remove each sensor and place sensors on the new wheels.

I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sports. I've driven one with them on and what a difference! The owner does not carry a spare, as he put it "that's what Lexus roadside is for, and when's the last time you had a flat?" so he has all the trunk.

Mine is leased as well, and will be going to the Pilot Sports soon as well. Don't know if I want to change wheels, I may but the RF's got to go!

It boils dowwn to how much you want to spend, what you want the car to look like and drive like. Just watch out for stone chipping see my Paint posting.

Enjoy the new SC430! I am!

Regards,
Deanski