SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headunit and nav screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 01:25 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwdrook

Yea those headlights are really nice. Might have to do the same!!! Love tht look. Was thinking about getting some pebble beach lights but I actually like your look better
Also forgot to mention that while the headlights were removed from the car I replaced the turn signal bulbs with Piaa Xtreme White bulbs and the daytime running bulbs with Piaa Spark Blue bulbs. I never liked the amber color of the turn signal bulbs. Now the front headlights have a blue tint instead of amber.
Old 05-23-18, 01:29 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....love the time you took with your car & it's mods !!!....almost makes me want to go bigger in my stereo, but definitely want to see how the nav upgrade turns out
I will be taking on the NAV upgrade by this weekend. Just trying to figure out if I'm gonna run the video out for my back up camera to the new NAV screen or my current Alpine headunit. Right now the back up camera video shows on the factory NAV screen when the car is in reverse..
Old 05-23-18, 03:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
I will be taking on the NAV upgrade by this weekend. Just trying to figure out if I'm gonna run the video out for my back up camera to the new NAV screen or my current Alpine headunit. Right now the back up camera video shows on the factory NAV screen when the car is in reverse..
there are advantages and disadvantages using the upper vs lower screens with the back up camera.

my backup camera is on the lower Pioneer headunit and it would be safer to have the video on the upper screen because your peripheral vision is more in tune with your surroundings when staring at the upper screen.

when using the upper screen, you must wait for the upper screen door to open to use the backup camera which means more cycles on the door and tilt motors.
Old 05-25-18, 07:59 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
when using the upper screen, you must wait for the upper screen door to open to use the backup camera which means more cycles on the door and tilt motors.
The door will pop open regardless of using back up cam.
Old 05-25-18, 12:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GmanSC

The door will pop open regardless of using back up cam.
a true statement. Your NAV screen door opens when you turn the key on, is that correct?

It is because the NAV system was in the on position when you turned the key off.

if you turn the NAV system off, the door will close and stay closed...then the next time you turn the key on, the door will still be closed until you turn the NAV system back on...

i never use the car nav system so the nav screen door is door is always closed. I did parallel the rear camera signal to both the radio screen and the NAV screen. The NAV screen will sow in color but the radio picture is black and white due to the weak video signal.

I tested it it different ways with the same result. If I only have one input to the radio, the picture is color.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-25-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 11:52 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Default Nav Done...

Personally I prefer to leave my Nav screen on although I never use it. However with this new Nav unit installed, I may use it more to save some data usage on my phone. So guys here are some finished pics. I will do a thorough write up when I have some free time. I also decided to change my trim to Blackwood. I still have to finish putting everything back. But it;s almost 3am here in the Tampa Bay area. Hopefully I will have time to finish by the weekend. What I will say for now is the removal and installation process was easy. The pain in the butt came from modifying the brackets that allow the door to open and close. The power cord that came with the Nav unit was not gonna work. So I had to purchase an L shaped plug from Amazon. Everything will make sense when I do my write up. Til then, check out my finished pics.....

Old 06-03-18, 05:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice and well done! It looks like a professional installation...looking forward to the details!
Old 11-05-18, 08:32 PM
Standiford
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Plugs did you use with the Xgody

I purchased the Xgody unit but I can't figure out how to get it to fit in the tray so the nav door will tilt and close--the plugs are on the side and are a fraction too big. Anyone know how to get around the problem?
Old 06-30-19, 10:19 AM
Astrobear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all
This thread is getting pretty old so I hope people have had more experience that they can share as I'd really like to change my screen! I've had a look at the xgody 886 and have a. Few questions. I'm happy to do diy but need things in plain English!....
  1. Was the full write up posted somewhere?
  2. How do you turn the screen on, it looks like the power button won't be accessible when it's fitted into the car?
  3. What extra cables and connectors would I need?
  4. Can I mirror my phone to the 886?
  5. Has anyone used a tablet instead? I think a Samsung might fit
  6. If I can mirror my phone, I want to play audio, so can the new screen be connected via the aux out to the original ML head unit?

I'm sure there will be more questions to come!
Old 06-30-19, 11:28 AM
Standiford
5th Gear

The most important issues regarding the xgody are 1) its low resolution and 2) the fact that its internal antenna keeps dropping the gps owing to the interference of the dash and door that sits above it once installed--there is no external antenna, and even when it locks onto a satellite, it is nearly impossible to see during the day. It will turn off by itself when the dc power cuts off (key turns off). Your installer may have to order some l-shaped usb connectors or cut the tray that holds the unit in place (and that tilts it forward and then back out of the way so that the wood door can close). the xgody will accept video in, but you will have to order an adapter from an on line outfit (you can google around and find it. I am on vacation and the box is at home) that costs around $100. and you'll need whatever video out your phone might require. a tablet might work, but the tolerances are very tight. The 7" Samsung will sit in there, but I don't know if the tilt mechanism will still work or if the wooden door would clear. You won't know until you get in there and try. My installer says the heat will fry a tablet. You could set it up to raise and lower the wooden door by hand and just take the tablet out when you want to (or swap it out when it dies), which is what I am considering, because to be quite honest with you, it all came to around $600 to put the xgody in there and I don't think it was money well spent. Maybe the 2 or 3 other guys who have done it have had better luck, but hey, you are starting with a unit that retails for around $60, so you shouldn't expect too much.
Old 06-30-19, 11:31 AM
Standiford
5th Gear

You will note that all of the pics that are posted of the Xgody installed have the screen diplaying "Looking for GPS signal". That might tell you all something. If these DIYers have gotten around the problem, I wish they would come back on and enlighten me, because I basically have a pretty paperweight installed in my sc430 right now.
The following users liked this post:
Astrobear (07-05-19)
Old 09-15-19, 06:04 PM
HerbTarlek
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't plan on using gps as we're not long trips so it's of no value, especially with phone GPS.

BUT what I would love is a back up camera.

You can buy the camera separate...but this monitor should fit as well correct?

https://www.amazon.com/BW-Resolution-Monitor-Support-Rotating/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=7%22+backup+monitor&qid=1568595753&s=electronics&sr=1-13 https://www.amazon.com/BW-Resolution-Monitor-Support-Rotating/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=7%22+backup+monitor&qid=1568595753&s=electronics&sr=1-13
Old 09-15-19, 06:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HerbTarlek
I don't plan on using gps as we're not long trips so it's of no value, especially with phone GPS.

BUT what I would love is a back up camera.

You can buy the camera separate...but this monitor should fit as well correct?

https://www.amazon.com/BW-Resolution...ronics&sr=1-13
Please report the the installation process...