SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 08:11 AM
gkw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Steering wheel

I purchased my 430 last fall and it has always bothered me that the steering wheel has several pits in the wood. They look like the previous owner either had a dog who rode in his lap, or he was dumb enough to use the "Club" on a wooden steering wheel.

At any rate, last month I asked the parts guy for the price on a new wheel and he said it was "about $2500". At which point I said never mind. But he did say that they had replaced some under warranty! Sure enough, when I brought my car in last week, I mentioned that there were pits in the steering wheel and they overnighted one in and replaced it under warranty.

Just a heads up in case anyone else had this problem.

GW
Old 05-12-03, 10:25 AM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Wow! What would be the criteria for such a replacement? I've got a few pits on my steering wheel due to when I put on the seatbelt (fast), it hits the steering wheel. Let me know how your replacement works out!
Old 05-12-03, 12:37 PM
gkw
Rookie

It never dawned on me, but I suppose the seat belt could have caused the nicks. It has become obvious that the first owner was not as careful with the car as I am.

As for warranty, I didn't make a stink, I just asked them to have a look at the wheel. But if you are sure the seatbelt caused the problem you may have a case.

GW
Old 05-12-03, 12:58 PM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts
Default I wouldn't think so

I beg to differ.

If you are sure that the seat belt buckle hit the steering wheel when you were using it (fast, as you say), then a warranty against manufacturing defects would not be applicable, any more than the warranty would replace the carpet if I spilled some paint on it.

The warranty is that the car is suitable for its intended purpose, and is delivered as advertised. It is not a warranty that the occupants will refrain from banging it up by flailing about with a seat belt, or anything else for that matter.

That's why you have to maintain it according to the schedlue to keep the engine warranty in force.

I would be surprised to hear that a wood steering wheel in this car could get past quality inspection and be delivered with "pits," but stuff happens, and sometimes defects manifest themselves only after some use.

The good news is that the many dealers will lean over backwards and kick something into the "warranty" file to please the customer, because Lexus, not the dealer, bears such costs (which are a part of the new car cost, of course). However, if you disclose to the dealer that you caused the "pits," your chances of getting it replaced under warranty are not great, I would think.